997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PSS9 on 997.1 C2, disappointing ride quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:36 PM
911nitis will become famous soon enough
PSS9 on 997.1 C2, disappointing ride quality

Installed new set of pss9 on my 997.1 C2 (non pasm) and must say the car looks amazing, the height is just right but the ride quality is terrible. Im bouncing all over the place and I have it at the softest setting 9. I dont understand, was under th eimpression that this would be equilavent to stock but it is way to harsh. I only drive the car on the street and where I happen to live in L.A we have some amazing roads, extremely smooth and I'm still bouncing up and down. At this point I'm almost ready to put the stock suspension back and deal with the huge wheel gaps...

Any suggestions?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Sleek996 is on a distinguished road
Bilstein pss9 are very good street coilovers. Try to dial it to max the other way just to make sure you are not setting as full stiff. Also have your indie check out if you are too low and riding on bump stop. What are your measurements from ground to fender F/R?

You should not be feeling what you are describing unless something went wrong during the install especially on smooth road.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 PM
gt2rsobsessed will become famous soon enough
If you are bouncing, most likely the settings are too soft. I'm not experienced with PSS9, but on my last car I had BC coilovers with 30 stiffness settings. I first had the settings closer to max soft and the car bounced. I went towards the middle setting and adjusted daily til I found the perfect middleground, where it would take bumps not too harsh, but also did not bounce around.

You should start full stiff and adjust from there til you find the exact # of clicks to your liking.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Lyn
Lyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud ofLyn has much to be proud of
Mine like yours is a C2 without PASM. When I went to the 19s my ride went from good to really harsh. When I installed the PSS9s I got a substantial improvement in the ride even though mine are set pretty hard. I've driven it in the LAX area (from PHX on I-10 to the PCH and then up to Malibu) and the ride was as good as I could expect, because that part of I-10 is pretty rough and the ride is improved over the stock set-up. I think, as others have told you, that you need to verify your ride height and fool with your settings to see if you've gone the wrong way. These coil-overs are worth the effort because when you get it right, you'll love it.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 PM
CY00 is on a distinguished road
Have you set the pre load correctly? Did an experienced shop/person do the install?

Old 06-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lyn
Mine like yours is a C2 without PASM. When I went to the 19s my ride went from good to really harsh. When I installed the PSS9s I got a substantial improvement in the ride even though mine are set pretty hard. I've driven it in the LAX area (from PHX on I-10 to the PCH and then up to Malibu) and the ride was as good as I could expect, because that part of I-10 is pretty rough and the ride is improved over the stock set-up. I think, as others have told you, that you need to verify your ride height and fool with your settings to see if you've gone the wrong way. These coil-overs are worth the effort because when you get it right, you'll love it.
Hi Lyn: Yes, I have them now at 6 upfront and 8 in the back the ride is a little better but still too firm. If I go to 9 then I get the bounce while having too much firmness. The ride height is amazing, its basiccaly an inch and a half space in the well, I didnt drop it agressively. Dont get me wrong, the car looks amazing. Im thinking of taking out the Bilsteins and placing the stock shocks again with techart springs

Old 06-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by CY00
Have you set the pre load correctly? Did an experienced shop/person do the install?
Thats a good question. I will ask the shop when I take it to have aligned next week.

Reagrdless, ill be removing the pss9 and replacing with techarts which from what i understand provide a stock driving feel.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:06 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911nitis
Thats a good question. I will ask the shop when I take it to have aligned next week.

Reagrdless, ill be removing the pss9 and replacing with techarts which from what i understand provide a stock driving feel.
techarts are rebranded eibach springs. you'll save some cash getting eibachs. if you sell your pss9, let me know.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 PM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
I have done this years ago.

Take my advice and keep your suspension STOCK.

I went from

Stock
to
KW V3 full coilovers
to
Techart Springs + stock shocks

then back to OEM suspension.

Believe me, the car just rides SO much nicer and is much more rewarding to drive when driven correctly on the street.

P.S.

YES the techart springs are going to feel too stiff for you. Not as first because you just got off the Bilstein, but over time you will start to miss the OEM suspension once again.

the 997 is already too stiff as is for 2017 standards.

Last edited by AP1to911; 06-08-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Sleek996
Bilstein pss9 are very good street coilovers. Try to dial it to max the other way just to make sure you are not setting as full stiff. Also have your indie check out if you are too low and riding on bump stop. What are your measurements from ground to fender F/R?

You should not be feeling what you are describing unless something went wrong during the install especially on smooth road.
They doubled checked everything and everything looks good. Im riding on 6 front and 8 in the back. If I go to 9 the suspension just doesnt work well together.
I think I am just feeling to much bumpiness on smooth roads. Ill be switching back to stock shortly.

Ive only heard wonderful things about the ps9's. Just not for me.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by killacam
techarts are rebranded eibach springs. you'll save some cash getting eibachs. if you sell your pss9, let me know.
Yes, I will be selling them. Ill PM you once I will be ready to sell them They will have less than $200 miles on them and basically brand new. Should be in about 2 weeks from now.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by AP1to911
I have done this years ago.

Take my advice and keep your suspension STOCK.

I went from

Stock
to
KW V3 full coilovers
to
Techart Springs + stock shocks

then back to OEM suspension.

Believe me, the car just rides SO much nicer and is much more rewarding to drive when driven correctly on the street.

P.S.

YES the techart springs are going to feel too stiff for you. Not as first because you just got off the Bilstein, but over time you will start to miss the OEM suspension once again.

the 997 is already too stiff as is for 2017 standards.
Yes, I can see what you mean 100%. The suspension was already stiff as it was stock. People with pasm dont know since they have a very soft suspension and then very stiff when you press sport. So I understand how they go to damptronics and feel the ps9s as amazing. But if you have a non-pasm car that is already stiff, then go to a pss9 that is super stiff, makes the car not so great to drive. The car looks amazing what good is it if its not comfy to drive anymore.

It only makes sense for the techarts to be stiffer as the spring is shorter.

I will be moving to the stock suspension in about 2 weeks and cant wait!

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:25 PM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 911nitis
Yes, I can see what you mean 100%. The suspension was already stiff as it was stock. People with pasm dont know since they have a very soft suspension and then very stiff when you press sport. So I understand how they go to damptronics and feel the ps9s as amazing. But if you have a non-pasm car that is already stiff, then go to a pss9 that is super stiff, makes the car not so great to drive. The car looks amazing what good is it if its not comfy to drive anymore.

It only makes sense for the techarts to be stiffer as the spring is shorter.

I will be moving to the stock suspension in about 2 weeks and cant wait!

Thanks!
no problem brother!

From my understanding the 997 cars with PASM are even stiffer even with it "off". Someone with real experience please correct me if I am wrong!

Old 06-14-2017, 12:45 PM
After speaking with Techart, the car is going back to 100% stock. They said the springs do make the car much more firm and remove the floatiness of the 977, the stock system doesnt float with no pasm, so that told me this was a simple no. Yes the car will look raised and will loose that awesome lower look but at least I will be driving much happier than with the pss9. I have the settings at 8 front and 8 back.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Dude, its a sports car . . . not a Caddilac.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.