997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does this damage look intentional or accidental?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 AM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Exclamation Does this damage look intentional or accidental?

Driver side mirror is broken on its hinge, doesn't look like it'll fall off. There is no other damage to the mirror's paint anywhere, no scuff marks. I have no idea how a car could brush the mirror and rip it off the bottom part of the hinge but not cause any damage to the surrounding of the mirror?

The scratch on the door doesn't look consistent with a car brushing it either. I'm not sure if the idiot was reversing out of the spot and had their wheel all the way to the right, then the car scratched and somehow pushed the mirror back at the same time?

It looks like someone used their hands to pull on the mirror to break the hinge, then took a stab or something at the door? What a great way to start Friday morning.

I am so pissed off right now I can barely type.

http://imgur.com/nluEc3l
http://imgur.com/fEXo7km
http://imgur.com/9cOwrJ9
http://imgur.com/5dneHCv

Old 06-16-2017, 06:19 AM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Is the scratch color the color of the vehicle? Or is that just the way the clear coat scratches?

Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 AM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
Shopping cart ?

Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by lowbee
Shopping cart ?
I can't say I've ever seen a shopping cart in my neighborhood, and definitely not in the past 4 days.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:11 AM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
kids on bike ?

Old 06-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Parking spot is nowhere near where kids would be biking or passing by.

After looking closer, looks like it was an accident, but then they tried to cover it up.

I noticed an area on the driver door with faint scuffs on it that had been wiped down. They much have noticed the scuffs and tried to wipe them off. I'm wondering if it was dark outside and they didn't notice the scratch below the handle.

You can see the wiped area right there:
https://i.imgur.com/sqgf2Fr.jpg

Different view:
https://i.imgur.com/rmDWnft.jpg

The side mirror was moving around a lot on bumps so I applied some painters tape to hold it in place a little better.
https://i.imgur.com/qOPbLP1.jpg

I have a feeling it was the lawn crew that stops by, they drive white trucks and I saw one parked next to it the other week and they did a half-assed job parking. I am checking all the white cars that park in those spots, though.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Redhot2474 is an unknown quantity at this point
Pain

I feel you pain ....

Old 06-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Shortly after I bought my new Boxster I had it parked at work. One day noticed a red spot of paint on the bumper. Long story short the lawn crew that cut the grass brushed the car's bumper with the riding lawnmower. Another guy who parked his car way out of the way out where I parked my car had the same thing happen.

I changed to parking away from the grass/lawn.

(Believe it or not I wasn't parking way out of the way as a protective measure, just as an excuse to get more exercise.)

Not sure what difference it makes whether it is was deliberate or an accident. You'll have to fix it regardless.

If an accident it is unfortunate that the person didn't leave a note even if just admitting the accident and offerng an apology.

If diliberate one can only hope the butthead suffers some serious harm at some point when he does this again and the owner of the car catches him.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:30 PM
orange260z is on a distinguished road
At my work the lawn maintenance guys are quite careless and regularly discharge the lawnmower right at the parked cars. When I first started working there my Boxster got sprayed with cut grass; thankfully there were no scratches from rocks or dirt as the lawn was pretty thick and healthy. Wouldn't surprise me if they also brush up against cars with their bodies when they use the weed whacker to do the edges...

Old 06-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by orange260z
At my work the lawn maintenance guys are quite careless and regularly discharge the lawnmower right at the parked cars. When I first started working there my Boxster got sprayed with cut grass; thankfully there were no scratches from rocks or dirt as the lawn was pretty thick and healthy. Wouldn't surprise me if they also brush up against cars with their bodies when they use the weed whacker to do the edges...
Don't get me started about that...

With my cars parked at my apartment complex I had a real problem with my cars ending up with all kinds of lawn clippings and such from the leaf blowers the lawn care crew used.

I told the manager of the complex where I live if she couldn't impress upon the lawn care company the need to stop this I would have the cars towed to the dealer to have all the trash removed from the cars and submit to her the towing and $160/hour labor bill.

The cars have remained lawn clip/trash free ever since.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 AM
Got an appraisal and it is $2000 in damages. It's not noticeable in the pictures, but the side of the car below the door was dented in fairly well too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.