997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bore score affecting all 997.1 C2S C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:21 PM
CoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really niceCoreyC2S is just really nice
Great, now you've gotten me paranoid and I feel the need to put a camera down my cylinders next week. *sigh* At least I have easy access to one.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:20 AM
linderpat is just really nicelinderpat is just really nicelinderpat is just really nicelinderpat is just really nice
what about non-S motors? Everyone seems to focus on the 3.8l. How is the 3.6l for this issue?

Old 03-15-2019, 11:54 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by linderpat
what about non-S motors? Everyone seems to focus on the 3.8l. How is the 3.6l for this issue?
They are not immune to the problem. If you watch the videos from Flat6 you will see there are a number of contributing factors. Displacement is not one of them.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:44 PM
mofomo is on a distinguished road
I spoke in detail with my Porsche service manager about bore scoring as I was concerned about my car. He stated that he had no encountered bore scoring on any of his customer's cars.

It would be nice to see some actual statistics on this issue.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:55 PM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mofomo
I spoke in detail with my Porsche service manager about bore scoring as I was concerned about my car. He stated that he had no encountered bore scoring on any of his customer's cars.

It would be nice to see some actual statistics on this issue.
Porsche dealership or independent shop?

Percentage of M96/M97 Carrera over Mezger Turbo, GT2, GT3? Was he including older aircooled Porsches?

or was just a blanket statement over the entire line of Porsche cars?

Old 04-02-2019, 02:01 PM
mofomo is on a distinguished road
At my local Porsche dealership, and I was asking specifically about C2S 997 generation cars

Old 04-02-2019, 05:12 PM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mofomo
At my local Porsche dealership, and I was asking specifically about C2S 997 generation cars
I mean no disrespect to you or your service manager, but this response doesn't surprise me at all. They used to say the same thing about the IMS bearing problem. The Porsche techs at the dealerships don't rebuild motors. If something causes the motor to have internal failure like a seized cylinder associated with bore scoring, then the motor will be removed and replaced (*if* under warranty) with a factory remanufactured "AT" motor. They usually don't report the specifics to the owner other than saying the car with be receiving a new engine under warranty. I've experienced this kind of thing personally. They explained they would rather install a factory reman motor with warranty than pay an engine builder to "rebuild" motors. It's less of a liability. These failed motors are sent back to the factory for post failure analysis. I wouldn't be surprised if trend data is kept under tight lip.

Anyway, I agree with you. I would love to see the statistics too. But in the meantime, I'm keeping a close eye and ear on the symptoms associated with cylinder bore scoring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.