997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My 997, a buying experience.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:28 PM
ADGilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Post My 997, a buying experience.

Long time VAG owner, and many VAG vehicles along the way, but first time Porsche owner, thanks to this gentleman, Michael2364. I feel as if I’ve graduated to where I’ve always dreamed as an 18 year old kid with a 337 edition GTI. Been a while, but I got it, my Porsche.

If I can recommend anything to a friend from this experience, in buying a Porsche, it’s to buy it from an enthusiast. My buying experience from Mike was as good as it can be. Here’s the break down.

I have been researching 911’s for a while, actually since January, 2017. Everything from 996 turbos to 991 leases. I could make them happen financially, but I was looking for what spoke to me. Love it or hate it, I found myself heart-set on a 997.1, C2S, 6 Speed, dark exterior/ dark interior, with a factory Aero. Talk about a hunt!

I saw Michael2364's post, if you’re reading this off the link I posted on his for sale ad, you see I was ready to roll sight unseen. I knew it was it. When he contacted me, we spoke, realized we had some commonalities in professions and I felt comfortable enough to PayPal him 1k as a deposit for 2-3 weeks until I could get up to NYC from my condo in Miami Beach. I travel a lot, and work a lot, so it was a crunch.

I flew into JFK and grabbed an Uber to Mike’s place. As I rolled up, I saw him tinkering and meticulously detailing the car, a car he was selling! That right there spoke to me that he’s an enthusiast. Mike and I met, he explained to me how he’s owned this 2006 997.1 C2S (Aero) since purchasing it in ‘08 from a dealer. He went on to speak on every detail. He knew every inch of the car. I was pretty dumbfounded, at the same time, impressed, then confident I found the right car.

The deal was done. To be a gentleman, I won’t discuss the number, but I will say he sold the car to me at a price we both felt was fair. That’s the biggest part. Everyone came out ahead.

(I know many of you are going to cringe and might flame,thankfully this isn’t the VWVortex 🙄, but here it is...)

I decided to solo it home from NYC to Miami Beach. It was perfect, better than I’d imagined, maintained to the utmost. I had total confidence. Still a big risk. I got it fully insured before I moved the car, probably more than I need, but whatever. Then I was off.

From Friday afternoon I drove the car from NYC to DC. Thanks to Friday afternoon NYC, Jersey, Pittsburg, Baltimore, and DC traffic my left leg and the clutch got a good work out. Brutal.

I hit up a good friend and his wife who live outside of DC and went to their house. (That’s the pic of me and him in front of some trees or something). We Uber'ed to a bar and partied with friends. Awesome night. Woke up at their place, hating life, forgot how much fun we have together as a group. With a bottle of water, a coffee, and a mild hangover I carefully drove the new car to brunch with friends (dry brunch) and fixed my brain. Bid adieu to my good friends and promised to fly up soon for more debauchery.

Then I set out south on I-95. This is the day the Porsche and I completely bonded. I decided to drive until I felt tired. Around 7p, somewhere in South Carolina, I called the AMEX Platinum Card concierge to find me a hotel with a restaurant, exterior security cameras of the vehicles in the lot, pool, and a gym. (Love The Platinum Card, if you don’t have it, you’re missing out, no the annual fee is worth it, DM me I’ll explain why you have to have it) ...digressed... so anyways.... the concierge found an amazing Hilton in Savannah, Ga., and got me a hotel room with a view of a massive corner spot (yep they accommodated my need to see my new car from my window) and I was happy. Except for waking up a few times to check on the car from my window.

Great stay, then rolled south to do the final push from Savannah to Miami Beach. Linked up somehow with a new Cayman and a 997.1 Convertible (older gentleman, automatic, silver/blue top, Conn. plates if you’re on here). We rolled south for a good 200 miles in eyeshot if each other. It was cool. I pulled into a rest stop to eat my leftover dinner from the hotel at a picnic table and parked next to the 997.1 convertible.

I then eased it on home to Miami Beach, decided to detour to my parents place in suburbia to wash the car and spray wax it. Dinner with my folks and cruised on Home. One of the best experiences I’ve had in a long time.

The thumbs up from fellow Porsche drivers on the highway, made me feel a part of this family on my 1,300 mile road trip.

Home safe in Miami Beach, Venetian Islands.
So close, subterranean garage, spot on a slope. I’ve got a 2 finger gap (even though it doesn’t look like it) WHEW!

It was worth every mile. I spent the first hour white knuckles getting out of NYC and Jersey. Then, somehow the car accepted me and we just synced. No radio playing most of the way, windows down or AC barely purring, I got to know this magnificent machine. Started to recognize the sounds, feel the engine, not have to look at the tach or worry about stuff.

Mike, thank you. You loved this Porsche and took care of it on an absurd level. I’m going to be with it for a good long time, and will carry on the tradition. Next time you’re in Miami Beach, hit me up man, you can take it for a spin to reminisce without question. I’ve got her from here brother. Part of the family now.

Last edited by ADGilly; 11-05-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 PM
SoCal C2S is on a distinguished road
Great story and trip....enjoy as you already have!

Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 AM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
Awesome!

Old 11-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Michael2364 will become famous soon enough
Adam,

Your awesome and thanks for the kind words! I'm glad our paths have crossed and I'm happy to know that the car is in your hands and you will be as fanatical about her as I was. As you had mentioned, I do know every nut and bolt on that car so I am always here if you have any questions. Enjoy it, drive it like it was meant to be driven, trust the grip and more importantly be safe. She will take good care of you from here on in. Planning a trip to the Keys or Miami in the immediate future and I will definitely reach out. Keep in touch brother.

Michael

Old 11-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Enjoyed the read and congratulations on the car. Those who buy them long distance and ship them home instead of driving them home are missing a great experience.

I'm in SC and bought my silver 997 from Pittsburgh - drove it home in one of the 5 worst rain storms I've ever been in. Imagine the white knuckle feeling of a car you're not yet familiar with in the dark and rain - yikes. But the 2nd day, the weather had cleared and I was in love after our 2nd date.

Have the same crappy, nighttime cell phone pick as you do from the room window with her outside the hotel in the parking lot, but I didn't get the good corner spot.

Bought my wife's from Detroit, as luck would have it on Valentine's Day, and drove that one home to her as well. Another great drive.

You have a real beauty there with the Aero kit, adaptive seats, screen kit for the front intakes, etc. If you ever want to break up the black, I have some polished, forged wheels for sale that would look killer on her.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:01 AM
PHIKEL will become famous soon enoughPHIKEL will become famous soon enough
Great story, driving your new (to you) car home is the perfect way to get introduced
I did the same thing with my 95” 993. Purchased in St Louis and drove home to Oregon. I enjoyed that experience so much that I did it again a few years later, bought a very similar car to yours in Philly and drove across country back home. Your comment about buying from an enthusiast is spot on. I sold a 997tt two years ago to a great guy from Phoenix. Similar to your deal he loved the car and bought it based on pictures and our conversations. He actually paid for the car in full then picked it up two weeks later and drove it home. It seems that most P car guys get it, drive it then drive it some more . Enjoy!

Old 11-07-2017, 01:52 PM
bliq is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a lot of similarities to your story when i bought my 06 C2S about a month ago. The guy I bought it from (a porsche mechanic) just knew every detail of the car and disclosed it all. He even had it up on a lift for me to inspect it- he showed me all the stuff under the car, what to look for, as well as all the codes, and every tiny defect (not that there were many). Even had a fresh oil change, all fluids,, alignment, and inspection done. Even the car is very similar- black on black, mine doesn't have the aero though, and even the same rims, but mine are in silver. It was just a great experience- like the former owner wanted the new owner to absolutely enjoy the car as much as they had enjoyed it.

And just like you, I can't help but just look at it, standing still, and kinda mentally pinching myself that this beautiful ride is now mine.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:43 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
I see that Nassau PBA sticker on the windshield. Looks like Michael2364 is a Long Islander!

Congrats to ADGilly on the purchase. Good luck and many happy miles!

Old 11-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Tmainevent will become famous soon enough
great read! congrats on the new P car!

Old 11-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Banned
Riptide is on a distinguished road
Congratulations and great write-up. Let the love begin.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Jeller is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the club, I was also a former 337 owner also. Road trips with a new car are such great experiences. Thanks for sharing yours.

Jeller

Old 11-13-2017, 07:09 PM
REKX is on a distinguished road
Nice story.

WOW when I saw the mileage of what you had to travel, but then wow you must have enjoyed it all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.