997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Recommended gas to use: Shell V Power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:01 AM
djeremybolton is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommended gas to use: Shell V Power?

Hi everyone. I just got my first Porsche (2006 911 Carrera S) and I was doing research about the recommended gas to use. The manual says premium/super unleaded 98 RON or 93 CLC/AKI grade and I've been hearing around from other general sports car enthusiast sites that Shell V Power is ideal or at least a quality choice. But I wanted to check in with Porsche owners to see if you guys agree with that -- what's the consensus? And if not, could you guys please steer me to a better type of gas to use if not Shell V Power?

By the way, I'm in Los Angeles, and where I live I'm surrounded by mostly Mobil, Chevron as well as Shell stations. So those are my most convenient options.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Any of those 3 are fine. The high grade of Chevron includes their Techron additive which helps prevent carbon buildup - maybe the others do too. Any Premium grade from a quality station will be fine - I often fill up my P-cars at the Ingles Grocery store stations as they have some of the best prices, and if not there at the QT (QuikTrip), and have never had a fuel related issue. Lots of others here use Cosco gas. Shell is some of the highest priced gas around here (SC), and from what I can tell, for no particular reason, so I never go there.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:17 PM
supra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant future
I get fuel from Sams Club. E85 from local mom & pop places. My sister in laws dad use to own a gas station and he told me there's no difference in the quality of fuel, besides hype.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I figured there's a lot of hype in the advertising of these fuels -- like the shavers with all those extra blades! -- so I'll take that under advisement. Looks like I'll be OK with any premium gas then. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:00 PM
wjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud of
All things being equal, it wouldn’t hurt to stick with a Top Tier certified gasoline (e.g. Chevron 91 in CA):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_...rgent_Gasoline

Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 PM
Thank you, sir. I'll check out Top Tier gas as an option.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:32 PM
Gargamel647 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fuels are absolutely not the same. I every time I change I catalytic converter in a car prematurely, it’s almost always from someone that uses cheap gas. The octane ratings matter too. You should stick with the manufacturer recommendations. I have seen many vehicles have misfires due to carbon buildup directly from using a high octane fuel in a car that calls for 87. Food for thought.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:25 PM
For sure. I'm definitely not going to start using anything outside the recommended RON for the fuel.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM
Mark8V8 will become famous soon enoughMark8V8 will become famous soon enough
I worked in the oil/gas industry years ago. Gasoline is refined at relatively few locations in the US then is pipelined across the country therefore all premium gasolines are blended and stored together. When you get gas at a Shell station it meets premium standards, but it is not "Shell gasoline". Locally fuel is picked up by a trucker at a "tank farm". All brands pull from the same storage tanks, i.e. premium/mid-grade/regular. Sometimes common carrier truckers are instructed to put in additives when loading at the rack, but I don't think that even occurs these days.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Mark8V8
I worked in the oil/gas industry years ago. Gasoline is refined at relatively few locations in the US then is pipelined across the country therefore all premium gasolines are blended and stored together. When you get gas at a Shell station it meets premium standards, but it is not "Shell gasoline". Locally fuel is picked up by a trucker at a "tank farm". All brands pull from the same storage tanks, i.e. premium/mid-grade/regular. Sometimes common carrier truckers are instructed to put in additives when loading at the rack, but I don't think that even occurs these days.
Hmm... that's interesting. The tricks of the trade I guess.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:15 PM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
I've been using Walmart (Murphy) gas in every car for years without a glitch. Why pay more?