997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Windshield replacement costs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Bokchoys is on a distinguished road
Windshield replacement costs?

Drove up to Napa today and managed to get large rock chip in my windshield while driving up 880. How much does it cost to replace the windshield? Where do you guys usually get it done for the 911? I'll probably try to get it filled first and pray it doesn't start to grow.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:38 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
That sucks. I have a $100 deductible for glass coverage on my cars - I live in the Bay Area. I also request OEM glass when I need a windshield. I have tried aftermarket glass in the past, and just based on my own personal experience, it appears to me that the aftermarket is not of the same quality as the OEM. The aftermarket seems to pit and crack easier. On our cars, I think OEM is the way to go.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Your insurance should cover replacement if it conforms to their criteria, and many good glass shops will waive deductible. Farmers (my insurer) has a whole claims team devoted to windshield issues. There are really only a few manufacturers of OEM glass. Pilkington and PPG are the two largest, and one of them is probably supplies to Porsche.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Poshaman has a spectacular aura aboutPoshaman has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Bokchoys
Drove up to Napa today and managed to get large rock chip in my windshield while driving up 880. How much does it cost to replace the windshield? Where do you guys usually get it done for the 911? I'll probably try to get it filled first and pray it doesn't start to grow.
I had to replace mine for the same reason. I had it done at a local Porsche dealer. I believe a contractor comes to the dealer to get the work done. The quote for the windshield replacement with OEM part was $855. My insurance would only allow $650 threfore I had to pay the difference out of my pocket.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Just had mine replaced under insurance with $0 deductible. The installer said there is only OEM for the 997.1 with the antenna wires in the glass, no aftermarkets.

Directly from the sales receipt dated 12/5/12

Glass (Safelite part no: FW02554GYYOEM) = $571.41
Glass Install Kit = $40
Rain Sensor Kit (Safelite part no: FSK-2117) = $11.10
Labor = $200.10
Tax = $45.29
---------------
Total = $867.90

Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Bokchoys is on a distinguished road
wow... a little more than I expected. I'll need to see if my insurance will cover it.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:04 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Had to have mine replaced recently. Insurance did not cover it. It was right around $900 with tax.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Karl B will become famous soon enough
I had mine replaced with a PPG last year, it must be the softest piece of glass ever. It has more specks and light damage in 10,000 miles than my Mercedes has in 100,000. Next time OEM or another brand for me.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by semicycler
Just had mine replaced under insurance with $0 deductible. The installer said there is only OEM for the 997.1 with the antenna wires in the glass, no aftermarkets.

Directly from the sales receipt dated 12/5/12

Glass (Safelite part no: FW02554GYYOEM) = $571.41
Glass Install Kit = $40
Rain Sensor Kit (Safelite part no: FSK-2117) = $11.10
Labor = $200.10
Tax = $45.29
---------------
Total = $867.90
Which insurance do you use?

Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bokchoys
wow... a little more than I expected. I'll need to see if my insurance will cover it.
I know this is off subject, but I took my SUV as Lexus LX570 for a rock chip and they told me it would be $1,500 for a new replacement windshield for it.

I hate pitting on glass.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM
DMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the roughDMoore is a jewel in the rough
I went through the same issue a year ago with my GTS.

DO NOT deal with Safelite or any other aftermarket company - go to the dealership. I had my windshield replaced by a body shop (not just the windshield had been damaged) and they totally blew the installation. It wasn't seated properly in the frame, and when a rock hit it shortly afterward the windshield cracked from top to bottom. At that point I was 400 miles from home for a week-long conference. I called Safelite, who said they'd do the installation at my hotel. The technician showed up but said (in a whisper) "This is junk - made in China. I would NOT put this on my car if I were you.") So I drove from San Francisco back to SoCal with a top to bottom crack in the glass. Back to the body shop - and they screwed it up AGAIN.

FINALLY, my Porsche dealer had their contract guy replace the windshield and I've had no further problems.

DMoore
'11 C2 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 PM
devil boy will become famous soon enough
I recently moved to Phoenix and my insurance company (USAA) added no fault windshield coverage because it is something offered in Arizona. It raised my premiums a small amount but with a $0 deductible windshield replacement when the inevitable rock cracks my windshield, I thought it a good investment. Lots of rocks get kicked up or fall off of random big rigs on the roads here. I get pinged everyday on my commute to work. Took a couple good ones in the 911 this morning. When it does happen that I get a crack I will take it to the dealership and get an OEM replacement. I don't want Safelite touching my car...for my truck I'll take whatever but the 911 gets OEM good stuff.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM
onedae is on a distinguished road
Be very careful who you use to install the windshield. I can tell you from personal experience that many installers, including some used by Porsche dealers, get it wrong. If its not properly seated, you will have major wind noise and, more importantly, if you have a front end impact the glass can dislodge. Get it done at a Porsche dealer who stands behind the work and make sure the installer has done a bunch of windshields on the same model car as yours.
Mine had to be done 3 times until it was done correctly - dealer paid but what a pain.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:15 PM
rightfootdown is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by onedae
Be very careful who you use to install the windshield. I can tell you from personal experience that many installers, including some used by Porsche dealers, get it wrong. If its not properly seated, you will have major wind noise and, more importantly, if you have a front end impact the glass can dislodge. Get it done at a Porsche dealer who stands behind the work and make sure the installer has done a bunch of windshields on the same model car as yours.
Mine had to be done 3 times until it was done correctly - dealer paid but what a pain.
Very good points here. I installed auto glass for 15 years,stopped doing it in 2000. Did high quality work, trained by my father who did it for 35 years.
Dealerships often change vendors, mostly cost related. So finding quality techs can be difficult. Safelite has always had issues with quality, they are a large nationwide chain and are decent at most regular cars. There simply not trained or have the time to do the quality required for Porsches and the like, they do have some decent techs though, but like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Pm me if any of you would like any recommendations in the east bay.

Mike

Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Had to have mine replaced recently. Insurance did not cover it. It was right around $900 with tax.
No comprehensive endorsement? I thought windshields were covered there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement costs?