997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

my steering wheel wrap, round 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
raffi will become famous soon enough
my steering wheel wrap, round 1

I just got my steering wheel back and although they did an excellent job, they used a padding that seems to soft for the grip and also makes the leather uneven.
So I will have them redo it but use a few extra layers of leather this time around.
Also I liked the silver/red cross stitch but think it will look better with gold and red to match the porsche emblem.
I think the biggest improvement was achieved by covering the grey plastic ring around the airbag.
I will post pics of the wheel when it is redone.
I would greatly appreciate any comments before I go for round 2 so I hopefully would avoid any further rounds.
Thanks

Old 12-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Cognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant future
i see "x"...

Old 12-11-2006, 01:25 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
pic not working, can't wait to see it. so how are you driving the car in the mean time?

Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Raffi, it looks ok honestly, it looks too "pillowy" so hopefully on round two it'll be/look a lot more harder

Old 12-11-2006, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by v35
Hey Raffi, it looks ok honestly, it looks too "pillowy" so hopefully on round two it'll be/look a lot more harder
yeah, that was the main problem. the guy who did it already knew he would redo the work. the only reason he rush was that I needed the car by sunday.

I am thinking of going with only grey stitching to match the rest of the car.

Old 12-11-2006, 03:33 PM
D.D. can only hope to improve
Hmmmmmm..........not for me at all. I prefer my stock wheel. However, the price you invested vs. a Porsche wheel...it's usually better to go back to dealer for OEM. At least you know it's done right from the beginning.l Hope it works out for you.........

Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Does not look like a good job at all. Hope the second time is better. I'd be pissed.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Cognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant future
can you re-do it?

Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Does not look like a good job at all. Hope the second time is better. I'd be pissed.
I would have been pissed but he rushed the job and gave it to me just so I could have the car for the weekend...
The guy gave it back to me with full intentions of redoing it. The only part we were both satisfied with was covering the airbag circle piece.
The main thing I dont like about the wheel is that it is not firm, and the reason is that he used a padding to make the wheel thicker. I think that after we remove the foam and just add a few more layers of leather it will firm up.
Also I am gonna tell him to make sort of a indentation at the seams where the perf'd leather meets the smooth so it will fold in.
What else do guys not like about the wheel?
Any input is appreciated.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:11 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Raffi you get what you pay for, don't cheap out on your pcar - go buy yourself a techart or gemballa type wheel or email gert@carnewal.com he always has some option

Old 12-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by DJ
Raffi you get what you pay for, don't cheap out on your pcar - go buy yourself a techart or gemballa type wheel or email gert@carnewal.com he always has some option
yeah, if I get another wheel I will probably go with the fvd one. but I dont think it will hurt to try and see if I can have this one done well.

the 997 steering wheels are selling for around $50 on ebay so this wheel is really not worth anything to me and I wouldnt mind experimenting...

Old 12-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Trundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond reputeTrundle997 has a reputation beyond repute
A Techart wheel would be a much simpler solution for a chubby steering wheel...

http://www.cecwheels.com/articles/885,1.html

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2006, 11:43 AM
ELUSIVE will become famous soon enoughELUSIVE will become famous soon enough
Dude, your steering wheel got stung by a bee!

Old 12-13-2006, 11:58 PM
BoostJunkie is on a distinguished road
If you contact Myles at RaceComp Engineering he can have your wheel covered with leather or suede, in whatever thickness you like. Their guy does great work, here's a picture of an STi wheel they did:

PM me if you want his contact info.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Quick6 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Dude, your steering wheel got stung by a bee!
That is .

Last edited by Quick6; 12-14-2006 at 08:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my steering wheel wrap, round 1