997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Anyone? "SYSTEM FAULT VISIT WORKSHOP" **SEE IMAGE**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM
DS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to beholdDS997c2s is a splendid one to behold
Instead unmounting and remounting the headlights (which is easy, btw), would taking the headlight fuses out help?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM
adamL is on a distinguished road
this happened to me today, not sure if it's the same issue but it happened right after I pulled off the painter's tape covering the headlights at the track, believe me my headlights were not being polished. But painter's tape? Random.

So w/o reading the codes to summarize, it sounds like:
  • taillights acting funny
  • car not honking when locking with the trunk up,
  • odd noise from the fender of something spinning?

All different issues of the same problem, but this is comes down to a module that takes 30 minutes to replace?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 AM
ranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by adamL
this happened to me today, not sure if it's the same issue but it happened right after I pulled off the painter's tape covering the headlights at the track, believe me my headlights were not being polished. But painter's tape? Random.

All different issues of the same problem, but this is comes down to a module that takes 30 minutes to replace?
Definitely sounds like it could be the same issue with the front control module. However, before spending the $250-300 on the part, I would reccommend getting the code pulled just to make sure.

I will say that my taillights were fine, but my dashboard lights would turn on and off when I hit the turn signal. I also am not sure what the noise from your fender is??

So, go get the code pulled, cause you dont want to waste time and money on the wrong part.

The module is VERY easy to replace if that is indeed the problem.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 PM
ammar.malik is on a distinguished road
Bad control unit 997S

Originally Posted by AP 997S
As I recall no 'programming' is required. If you disconnect the battery you might have a couple of anomalies, when your reconnect the battery, but they should clear themselves.

It's always 'good procedure' to connect a 'battery tender' when ever the battery is disconnected as insurance against data loss or errors.
------
I had the same issue. I was not buffing or washing. I simply had my hand on the driver headlight as I was putting on my biking shoes... I head a sound, then another sound of the hood popping and then 3 hours after I drive the car the light went on... Oh well... I ordered a part of $ 80, I have disconnected the battery. I will be putting the new part that I got from ebay - seller promised it was taken our of a 07 turbo that was modified and told me it was working.

My question is - after I connect and then later reconnect the battery do I have to get it an OBD2 or dematic or porsche specific tool to ensure that the error goes away? Any help would be great before i pop it in @ 7:45 PM MST.

Thanks,
Ammar

Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Confirmed it was the front control module, by protecting my headlights at the track, I cost myself an arm and leg in electronics. Nice.

Now I have to get the part. Any suggestions on where?

eBay has one for 200, little worried about buying electronics off ebay though, any other suggestions on where to go?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997-...#ht_1137wt_952

Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Confirmed it was the front control module, by protecting my headlights at the track, I cost myself an arm and leg in electronics. Nice.

Now I have to get the part. Any suggestions on where?

eBay has one for 200, little worried about buying electronics off ebay though, any other suggestions on where to go?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997-...#ht_1137wt_952
talked to sunset porsche, very good price compared to my local dealer:
http://www.sunsetimports.com

Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 PM
ranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to beholdranger5oh is a splendid one to behold
I bought mine From Gaudin for $230 new. Shipped quick and worked perfect.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 PM
neverstopplaying is on a distinguished road
I just had my bumpers removed and repainted. When I picked up my 2006 C4S, same "System fault visit workshop" message here. They undoubtedly buffed the bumpers, and / or headlights. I don't see myself going back to them to fix this, as this IMO is a Porsche issue.

I installed rear LEDs a month ago and have just received front ones, but I'll wait to install these until the problem is fixed. I do hope the LEDs are not the issue.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread. I'll pick up a OBD unit tomorrow and, now that I know where to plug the unit in, and where the front end module is located, can replace the part myself.

After I test the system, I'll order or buy the part from a dealer and post back with results. Hopefully the newer parts have corrected the problem.

My 1st post, great forum.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by neverstopplaying
I just had my bumpers removed and repainted. When I picked up my 2006 C4S, same "System fault visit workshop" message here. They undoubtedly buffed the bumpers, and / or headlights. I don't see myself going back to them to fix this, as this IMO is a Porsche issue.

I installed rear LEDs a month ago and have just received front ones, but I'll wait to install these until the problem is fixed. I do hope the LEDs are not the issue.

Thanks to all who posted on this thread. I'll pick up a OBD unit tomorrow and, now that I know where to plug the unit in, and where the front end module is located, can replace the part myself.

After I test the system, I'll order or buy the part from a dealer and post back with results. Hopefully the newer parts have corrected the problem.

for the record I had the system fault cleared and never had an issue again. Simple fix.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by neverstopplaying

I hope they have fixed the problem because when my module went.....the new part never remedied the issue! I fried it three times! Finally I just took the headlights out when polishing the car,to be safe (a 5 minute job)!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 07-12-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
neverstopplaying is on a distinguished road
update

Picked up my car at the dealer today and they were able to clear the fault. The tech told me that the error was the "front end module" but that on the 3rd attempt he was able to clear the error. If ever it comes back they should replace it, but for now, just a reset.

The bad news. My clutch went out this week at 50k km. So I saved a few hundred on one end and spent 2k on the other end. Dealer did a great job though - it maybe cost a few hundred more but I had confidence in the dealer.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 AM
SlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of light
Received "Stytem Fault Visist Workshop" code after removing track tape from front bumper.
Tried everything suggested from disconnecting battery to removing front control module and replugging it in. (It was a PITA figuring out how to remove the protective box around the module - and thank you Stacy/Justatoy for the pics at beginning of thread).
Based on everyones experience posted here I was 50/50 on whether to buy a new control module or try clear the code myself. I decided to spring for the Durametric and try clear the code myself since it didn't make sense to me that module would go bad just from removing tape. Plus if it worked I would have the Durametric for future use. I figured worst case if Durametric confirmed it was in fact the Front Control Module and I would have to buy it anyway. Long story in 3/4...TheDurametric worked like a charm!! Thanks to everyone for all the posts.....and now I have the Durametric!!!

Last edited by SlateC2S; 01-12-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:50 AM
brec is on a distinguished road
Found this forum via search on this problem...

Yesterday picked up my 2006 997 S from a body/paint shop where in addition to body work they also changed the battery, and, yep, immediately I got the subject message.

Of the various symptoms mentioned in this thread, aside from the message and the central warning light (exclamation point) on the instrument panel, the only one I can detect is that the tail lights can't be turned off when the engine is running.

My question is: does the fact that I have this external symptom mean that just clearing the code(s) by either a Porsche dealer or with a Durametic won't solve the issue and that I'll have to replace the Front Control Unit?

Old 08-14-2015, 08:23 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
I would try to clear any faults on the Rear module, using the Durametric cable or the PIWIS at the Porsche dealer. They probably removed the light housings during the paint process and that caused the module to misbehave.

Yves

Old 08-14-2015, 12:08 PM
brec is on a distinguished road
More observations: the Central Warning ("!") light clears when turn signal is on and for a couple of seconds after, and clears for 3-5 seconds after headlights are turned full on OR off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone? "SYSTEM FAULT VISIT WORKSHOP" **SEE IMAGE**