997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Trunk Lid Keeps Opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:09 PM
tsmithmdtx is an unknown quantity at this point
Trunk Lid Keeps Opening

I have a 2006 997S and I have noticed on several occasions that the trunk lid will be open when I go out to the garage. I assumed that I hit the button on the key and this was the cause. However, today I did not drive the car and the key was inside the house all day. I came home and the car was in the garage with the trunk lid open. Any thoughts about this? Please don't say its Friday the 13th.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:27 AM
Ritesh will become famous soon enough
Its Friday the 13th.

Not a clue. You sure somebody else in the house didn't touch the key by mistake?

Old 07-14-2007, 01:14 PM
MichaelL will become famous soon enoughMichaelL will become famous soon enough
The trunk opening problem happened to a number of 2005 cars and was thoroughly discussed in the forums. Apparently, a module in the trunk area was susceptible to static electricity and needed to be replaced. I think the part was upgraded in later production. Warranty issue, have the dealer replace the module.

Also, the key fob is poorly designed and it is very easy to unintentionally pop the trunk. There was a post a while back, I don't remember where, that described a way to modify the fob. It involved removing some material between the button & the switch to require the button to be pushed a greater distance to actuate it.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:07 PM
drjay2 is on a distinguished road
trunk keeps opening1

This of course has been discussed before. It drives me nuts to have to get out and close the trunk. I assume it is the poorly designed key. I don't remember this on my previous porsches. I don't think the Germans are very user friendly. I am in medicine and they make great equipment but not very user friendly. I assume their attitude is they didn't make us buy these cars.
drjy2

Old 07-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Go to Rennlist/997 forum and search "remote sensitive". Thanks to mJones this shows a diy mod to the remote which renders it less prone to open when least expected. Perhaps someone more computer capable than I can post the link for his trunk- impaired brothers.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure that hottie from the Euro Porsche commercial is not walking by the car at night. That could easily create 'lift' or should I say, rise.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:34 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I was at the dealer, saw this happen on an 07 while I was sitting there ordering my turbo and the dealer claimed it did that when the battery was getting low. Sounded legit to me.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:43 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
I was at the dealer, saw this happen on an 07 while I was sitting there ordering my turbo and the dealer claimed it did that when the battery was getting low. Sounded legit to me.
Which battery - the remote or the car? Haven't seen anything in the manual that would support your dealer's claim.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:50 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Car battery, claimed it pops to gain easy access to the battery to recharge it vs. getting locked out.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:03 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Car battery, claimed it pops to gain easy access to the battery to recharge it vs. getting locked out.
You're right - it sounds legit...but these dealers really know how to spin...whether it's true or not.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM
drjay2 is on a distinguished road
trunk lid

the dealer is spinning. There have been all kinds of threads with this happening. It has to do with a low end key they gave us. It happens to me about 2 times a week. Pain in the rear to get out and close the lid. Just one of those things with this ked mechanism.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Curt P is on a distinguished road
If you get remote key from Mods4cars
here is the link https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/...oducts&cat=152
It will give you a bunch of new functions one of
which is that the key fob to open the trunk needs to be held
down longer This prevents accidental opening from the
key being in you pocket
Also give you one button both windows down
and passenger side mirror tilt down when in reverse
and a chirp when you lock unlock the doors
Curt

Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 PM
MichaelL will become famous soon enoughMichaelL will become famous soon enough
I had one of those wilhelmy-it remotes installed. It worked great until it failed catastrophically. Top was stuck in the down position & the alarm blasting. Had to have the unit removed & top reset. Luckily, no damage was done to the car. Paid to have it installed, paid to have it removed & lost use of the car for 4 days.

They refunded the price of the defective part they sold me(minus my shipping costs in both directions, of course), but had absolutely no concern for the problems they caused. Requests for refund of costs for installation & removal of their defective product were simply ignored. Legally, they were not liable to pay these costs, but, as manufacturers of a brand new product that failed miserably after a week of use, were ethically obligated to provide some relief. The courtesy of a letter expressing regrets would have been enough. It took several emails just to find out that they had credited my account for the defective part.

Aftermarket manufacturers with such excrable customer service and lack of care are nothing but a detriment to the automotive enthusiast market. Good luck doing business with them.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Curt P
If you get remote key from Mods4cars
here is the link https://www.wilhelmy-it.de/sms/shop/...oducts&cat=152
It will give you a bunch of new functions one of
which is that the key fob to open the trunk needs to be held
down longer This prevents accidental opening from the
key being in you pocket
Also give you one button both windows down
and passenger side mirror tilt down when in reverse
and a chirp when you lock unlock the doors
Curt
The key fob can be programmed by your dealer so that the front trunk button needs to be held down longer before opening (should be at no charge). You can program the passenger side mirror to tilt down when in reverse (directions are in the manual).

Old 07-19-2007, 04:45 AM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by HUMMM 3
The key fob can be programmed by your dealer so that the front trunk button needs to be held down longer before opening (should be at no charge). You can program the passenger side mirror to tilt down when in reverse (directions are in the manual).
Dealer programming lengthened the trunk button delay slightly. RemoteKey lengthens it signifigantly. Dealer can program 1 button DRIVERS window down/up with key, you must hold button. Remotekey allows 1 key button to drop or raise BOTH windows remotely. Dealer cannot program CHIRP on lock and unlock. Dealer CANNOT program 1 button full up on passenger window.
Side mirror tilt may require memory seats, if not RemoteKey provides.