997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Can a great compromise car be a reality?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:51 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Can a great compromise car be a reality?

Hey everyone,

Here's what I'm thinking, and I wanted to get your thoughts. As a basis, I understand that the more I sink into this car, the less I can get back. But I'm going down this train of thought on the idea that I'll keep it, like... forever.

OK. First of all, here's what I have (for those of you who don't know).

2006 997 C2S. Basalt Black Metallic.
20" Avus AF-MO2 wheels (I'd love to know if someone knew the weight on them) with street tires on them.
Bilstein PSS Coilovers for PASM
Evolution Motorsports Supercharger
Fabspeed Exhaust and Headers
Cargraphic carbon chin spoiler
Evolution Motorsports carbon mirrors
Carbon rear diffuser (not installed yet... I'm a slacker)
Pioneer AVIC-D3 navi/ipod/Sirius/Bluetooth head unit and full stereo upgrade
K-40 Spectra Laser/Radar detector/diffuser

I ran it for the past few days at VIR (Virginia International Raceway) with the 20s and street tires on. Didn't have time to put the 19s with Michelin Cups on before I left. I needed to balance my wheels, as they shook over 135, and my alignment is off. I still ran some really good times (I feel like, at least) and learned how to 'feel' the tires and wheels more than I thought possible. So here's what I'm thinking. The 997 Turbo is a great all around car, but I don't want AWD. I DO want the power though. So I have a good start. However, I want it to track like a GT3 or better. Even with the wheels and tires and incorrect alignment, my power allowed me to stay with our out lap GT3s. Surprise to me, for sure. So, I like that my car has all the conveniences: the DVD player, the power, the 20s (I know, but I like them), the sub woofers, all that. I have put 20k miles on this car already. I drive it. But I am getting addicted to the track too. I want to "have my cake and eat it too". Anyone else like me out there?

So, my car was unstable over 135. It also doesn't rotate as well as I would like. I need to, first of all, just play with my coilovers and get that right. But I'm thinking about getting a full carbon deck lid and wing made by Synergy Racing (they run in the Rolex Cup and are a great group of guys). I've seen two of theirs and they are amazing. They will custom make one to have the ram air going into my supercharger. It's in the exact shape of the GT3s (not the RS). Then, I could get a carbon hood from them too. They can make it without the hood pins, and I honestly just think this would look so good on the Basalt colored car. Then, I can have the full GT3 adjustable parts (for camber and all that) installed. Once my new subwoofer box for 3 JL Audio 8"s is made (out of carbon!) I will have a roll bar installed with the camera mount. Sparco carbon seats put in... the ones without the wings beside the headrest so I can still see my wife when we're on a date. Of course, I'd do the harnesses. I can't wait to have those. Then, I think I'm going to upgrade the brakes with Performance Friction rotors and still use the stock calipers. I'll have the stainless lines put in too (can't believe I haven't done that) and semi-racing pads that will still not squeal on the street. Then, I could put some Michelin Cup'esque (don't know what's available in 20s) tires on my 20s. Again, I know it's all compromise. I just love how these 20s look. Can't help it. I'll need sway bars and such as well as all the solid mounts and bushings. I'll have a limited slip diff installed, as well as a lightweight flywheel and stronger clutch. My stock one doesn't like the combination of my driving and 500 horsepower.

What do you all think? Anyone else toying with this idea? I near totally competent track car that is fine on the street and on a date too? As some of you know, I live in the mountains and our roads are incredible. But I also, obvious by my miles, drive a good bit on the interstates.
So, I'd just love your thoughts. I've been struggling with selling it and starting with a Turbo or starting with a GT3. However, sometimes I think I might actually have the best 'starting point' out of those options. And I really am getting to know this car pretty well.

Thoughts? And, does anyone know the weight of my 20s?

Thanks in advance. It's Saturday, I've already washed my car, and I'm just thinking hard here.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:58 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Personally if I had sunk that much $$$ into my 997S - I'd keep it and just get some nice cheap light 18's for track duty.

The difference in speed you'd gain by changing cars couldn't be *that* great. It's still all about the driver.

As for the Avus 20's - no idea how much they weigh. My guess? A LOT!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Mike R. is on a distinguished road
Blakt out - Having just come in from washing my car and having been bitten by the track bug early this year, I like your idea of creating a truly unique, amazing streetable track car. If you sell it and get a GT3 (which I would definitely take over a turbo), your thoughts next year would be on an RS or Cup Car, etc. Having said that, perhaps look into buying into a porsche / exotic car performance shop to better rationalize the addiction

Old 09-01-2007, 03:49 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. That's a thought. However, although I'm a salesman, I don't think I could sell that to my wife!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:04 PM
frayed will become famous soon enough
Man, with what you have in the car and what you plan on doing, you are getting into GT2 price territory, no?

I've had my share of dual purpose track/street cars. . . I finally decided on driving a cheaper, dedicated track car that I don't obsess over so I can focus on driving.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:59 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lig
I'd keep it and just get some nice cheap light 18's for track duty.

The difference in speed you'd gain by changing cars couldn't be *that* great. It's still all about the driver.

As for the Avus 20's - no idea how much they weigh. My guess? A LOT!
I need to make a decesion on my wheels this weekend and order something in Tuesday...I have found that there is no such thing as "nice cheap light 18's".

I totally agree with you that it is all about the driver more than the car and all the tidbits of stuff to buy for it. Proof is there is a guy in my solo run group in a stock Cayman S (R comp tires) that will out right out run me in my more powerful car and not to bost I am doing pretty good hustling around Sebring. He has been at this way longer than me and really knows his car...also I out run some 996 an 997 Turbos and 997S car with chip and intake mods too.

Blakt out the only mods I'd do with you car is lighter track wheels and a nice set of tires and I'd stick with street tires unless you can get -2 degree camber out of the front. I know you love those 20's but they are going to hamper your learning at the track. The only other mod I'd do is seats for holding you in place and for safety. i put in the $35 c-g lock for my seat belts to hold me in better and vastly improved my feel for the car and lap times.

Also to save that super charged engine I'd watch the temps, and rev's and change that oil a lot.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:12 AM
mdrums, et all,

All good thoughts. I'm thinking of maybe looking to the TireRack for some of those 18" OZ Ultraleggeras. They're light, and relatively cheap. I could get them in a gunmetal/black color too. I talked with them and there's no R compound tire for 20s, so that idea is out the window. I still think I should look into the GT3 camber adjustable suspension parts. I'll upgrade the brakes, seats, and install a roll bar regardless (assuming I choose to keep it, which I am really thinking I'll do). I just love being the guy on the track outrunning cars that I shouldn't be (just by looking at emblems, no mods considered). Any of you ever mess with Synergy Racing?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:22 AM
TD in DC is on a distinguished road
Blakt out. What run group are you in? How much track experience do you have?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Just the intermediate group. As for my experience, I have one week at Road Atlanta with the Panoz School, but I wasn't in my car. I've had two days at Carolina Motorsports Park, and two days at VIR. I do want to get more into it though. I anticipate getting to run two to three days a month now.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 PM
TD in DC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blakt out
Just the intermediate group. As for my experience, I have one week at Road Atlanta with the Panoz School, but I wasn't in my car. I've had two days at Carolina Motorsports Park, and two days at VIR. I do want to get more into it though. I anticipate getting to run two to three days a month now.
I have been through nearly exactly what you are going through. At this stage, I got some crucial advice from a very good amateur racer: Larry Herman. I started doing DEs in a 996, and I was about to pull the trigger on a 996 GT3 so I called Larry, who, at that time, was driving a 996 GT3, to ask his advice. Here is what he said:

Do you want to drive a fast car, or do you want to learn how to be a fast driver?

In retrospect, it was an outstanding question, and one you should ask yourself. If the former, then you should probably sell your current car and get a GT3. You will save money in the long run and get a better set-up car, although GT3s, and even GT3RSs cannot compare with a dedicated track car: they are no cups.

If the latter, then you should keep your current car and buy a low hp (i.e., below 180 hp) dedicated track car that does not have abs, pasm, psm or anything else. You will learn more in one or two years of driving a so-called "momentum" car on the track than you could after several years of driving a 997. The truth is that the 997s are ridiculously easy to drive, and they can make any of us look good. I thought I was a great driver until I got behind the wheel of a n/a 944 without abs or anything else and only 147 hp to scoot me around the track. I am extremely competitive, though, and driving such a "raw" instrument around the track at the same time as guys with twice the HP taught me how to conserve my momentum and really control a car. I can assure you that, although I could not keep up with everyone, I held my own in the advanced run groups. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you cannot learn how to be a great driver if you learn in a fast modern car with ABS and electronics. I am merely saying that it will be much harder to do so, and you will never know what you could do without all of the aids and convenieniences unless you try.

If you decide not to take my advice, and decide to keep tracking your current car (or a GT3 for that matter), be extraordinarily careful about the alignment of the 997. It is too easy to inadvertently change the suspension geometry when you start modifying spring rates and dampers etc . . . which can screw up what is really a fine handling automobile right out of the box. For example, when you jack up your car, where is the position of the eccentric bolt in the rear carrier? It should be roughly centered . . .

Just my two cents and meant to be helpful.

Last edited by TD in DC; 09-03-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:43 PM
sclemmons is on a distinguished road
A wise man once recommended, when I asked about recommending mods to a friend's 911 "Don't do anything to it. The Porsche is already a better driver than you are." May not apply to you, but it definitely was the right advice for my friend.

It did not keep me from doing everything possible to my M5, though.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:34 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Keep the 997 forever. And get the GT3 when you have the funds.