American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

06 Viper daily driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
snakebite52 is infamous around these parts
vipers are so reliable. they can easily be a dd. they dont need that much maintenance at all. also they are suprisingly quite comfy. BUT. i would not go for a supercharged one. 500hp is more then enough. 700hp will make a joke out of first gear and 2nd will have quite a bit of spin if not careful. also 700hp with a supercharger must be runing high boost, because most s/c gen 3 vipers ( 03-06) run 600-650rwhp normally.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor
DC Performance is a jewel in the roughDC Performance is a jewel in the roughDC Performance is a jewel in the roughDC Performance is a jewel in the rough
If installed and tuned properly a Paxton SC Viper can last many street miles. We have done over 50 Generation 3 Paxton installs and the results have been very consistent.
Get the car checked out by a mechanic, we can tell you what to look for.

The best thing to do if you decide to purchase a car like this is to bring it to a competent dyno shop and have them make sure that the air-fuel ratio and timing retard are set properly.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310-841-6996

Last edited by DC Performance; 02-16-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Got a stone in my AC condenser last Summer (98GTS). Had it replaced this Fall - only 3 grand and 3 days in the shop (the whole front end had to come off.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Nine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud ofNine Ball has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by snakebite52
i would not go for a supercharged one. 500hp is more then enough. 700hp will make a joke out of first gear and 2nd will have quite a bit of spin if not careful. also 700hp with a supercharger must be runing high boost, because most s/c gen 3 vipers ( 03-06) run 600-650rwhp normally.
Have to disagree with that. Adding a blower did not change the drivability at all. If you aren't flooring the throttle, you aren't making boost, and the car drives exactly like stock. The Paxton requires rpm to make boost, if you drive the car normally, you will never see 700hp, or even 500hp. Figure the hp it makes at 3K rpm and that is what you'll be using 99% of the time as a commuter car.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Porsche_911 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bigali88
I don't care about comfort, but I need a car that doesn't require too much maintenance and wont break down on me.
I don't want to be humorous here but a Toyota Corolla and Honda Accord can easily meet that criteria. Viper is a nice car but I don't see it as a daily driver. But if you want to ride with style and speed daily then I would go with a Z06. Then again, it's by preference.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:42 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Nine Ball how you doing? How you liking the Z06, when is that bad boy getting modified...

Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
EM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond reputeEM5PWR has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Have to disagree with that. Adding a blower did not change the drivability at all. If you aren't flooring the throttle, you aren't making boost, and the car drives exactly like stock. The Paxton requires rpm to make boost, if you drive the car normally, you will never see 700hp, or even 500hp. Figure the hp it makes at 3K rpm and that is what you'll be using 99% of the time as a commuter car.
Me too my buddy was a Paxton setup and it's his DD and he loves it , it puts down 650 HP at the wheels..

Old 03-05-2009, 10:10 PM
starcity is on a distinguished road
Supercharged Vipers rule, bulletproof and fast as hell. Has anyone supercharged their 2008 Viper? If so, what HP would one expect - 800+ HP?

Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
They put over 600 to the ground with exhaust and a tune, so at least 750 on low boost....craziness!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Malu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to beholdMalu59RT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by starcity
Supercharged Vipers rule, bulletproof and fast as hell. Has anyone supercharged their 2008 Viper? If so, what HP would one expect - 800+ HP?
Originally Posted by germeezy1
They put over 600 to the ground with exhaust and a tune, so at least 750 on low boost....craziness!
There are no power adder options for the 2008 Viper. The Venom controller (ECU) does not allow for any modifications. The only 2 mods are the Bellanger exhaust system and the Mopar PCM. With the Mopar PCM, the computer ignores the rear O2 sensors, as well as allowing a very small shot of nitrous. On the stock ECU, a member sprayed a 150 shot, and dyno'd great, but the sensor freaked out at the track and bogged the car down when it shifted gears. Maybe we can see some mods in the future, but as of now, no options for boost.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Is it a self learning ECU like what GM is using on some cars? What about piggyback or stand alone ECU's....I wonder if any can control the VVT. I know some can control the GM VVT.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 AM
silversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura aboutsilversrt has a spectacular aura about
daily

Have an 06 paxton SRT. Hasnt given me a lick of problems and runs like a stocker below 3k rpm. Puts 620 to the wheels, runs pump gas. Biggest problem is traction. Really need a quaffie differential and a set of cheater slicks or hoosiers to run it to potential. As it is, it will lite up the tires from 60 to about 80 mph which can be a bit hairy. Have low temp Tstat and never been above 190 in the summer heat. 170 ish rest of year.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Germeezy - "I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death! "

If you really mean this get a gen2 and take it and a lot of $$$ to an experienced tuner - by the time he gets done with the blower and nitrous and etc. you'll have your 900HP+. Saw one of these at the Lake Mary, Fl. exotic car show last month; it was unbelieveable.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:30 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
I love my Viper but I still don't see it as a daily driver. It's a blast to drive but in heavy traffic, rain going into the city at night I'd rather drive one of my other rides.

No way I'd buy it if it was my only car. There are so many freaks and butheads out there you can't just leave the car parked in any lot and walk away from it to go to work, ball game, show, resturant. No matter what is said, you can't get away from the fact that if you really like cars and have a Viper as your only car you will be worried that somebody is f-ing with it.

Peace of mind is pretty valuable to me - having no choice but to take my Viper or get a ride doesn't really cut it for me or seem smart. But that's just me.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by tejoe
Germeezy - "I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death! "

If you really mean this get a gen2 and take it and a lot of $$$ to an experienced tuner - by the time he gets done with the blower and nitrous and etc. you'll have your 900HP+. Saw one of these at the Lake Mary, Fl. exotic car show last month; it was unbelieveable.
No I am thinking something more like the 2500 hp Nelson Racing Engines Chevelle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 06 Viper daily driver