American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Corvette C4 as year rounder daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Ledamv8 is on a distinguished road
Corvette C4 as year rounder daily driver?

im feeling time to ditch the 325is. nearly 150K miles on it, rattling, yeah time to go.
So, i've been eyeing pre LT1 vettes with l98 and ZF six speed to replace it and damn are they cheap. under 100K miles for under $8k! for a corvette! anyways, is this ideal to drive a C4 everyday? like im talking 10K miles a year at least. BMW ran faultless besides needing a clutch and a very small oil leak. these vettes are fantastic on gas too. just can a vette do the job? i don't give a damn about practicality either , im 18 for heavens sake.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:26 PM
dude_reino is on a distinguished road
I've been lurking for a while but finally decided might as well register and post since I was thinking the same thing. I personally think for a young, single guy, a C4 would work as a daily driver. The hatchback provides decent utility to haul stuff.

Negatives I have heard have been that the suspension is very stiff so you can feel all the bumps in the road. If you live in a big old city with ****ty roads this could get annoying driving around the city all day. But hey, you're driving a Corvette, not a Cadillac. Another thing to take in mind for city driving is that because of the very long hood, you may have trouble creeping up into intersections just to see if the traffic is clear. Also, while highway mileage is good, city mileage is quite the opposite--so it depends on what type of driving you'll be doing.

Driving in winter might be a little gnarly. I don't know how grippy the rear tires on C4s are, but I had a 1996 Camaro Z28 and it was downright scary when the rear tires slipped on black ice! I'd recommend putting weights in the back and getting lots of practice in icy parking lots.

Lastly, if you do decide to go for it, I suggest spending a little extra (or finance a little bit with rates so low these days) for an LT1. All reviews I've heard say it is worth it.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 PM
HowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these partsHowlerMonkey is infamous around these parts
That california ice is dangerous.

Last edited by HowlerMonkey; 09-08-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Hurley1 will become famous soon enough
c4's are garbage...... for $8k for a daily driver with a v8 I would get a nice ls1 trans am or camaro.... or a mustang GT.. Stay away from a c4....

Old 09-09-2011, 10:15 AM
dude_reino is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by Hurley1
c4's are garbage...... for $8k for a daily driver with a v8 I would get a nice ls1 trans am or camaro.... or a mustang GT.. Stay away from a c4....
I would hardly call them garbage. When they came out in the 80's they were better looking than anything outside of Italy, and every year they got even more beautiful. Compare how their style has aged over 25 years to a 911 or 300ZX, year-for-year. The C4 still looks good alongside modern cars on the road.

Obviously someone can 'get this or that' as an alternative daily driver. It does take someone with a unique attraction to the C4 to choose it today among all other cars. That's why it is so great.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 AM
BAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of lightBAD ASS TA WS6 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Hurley1
LOL I was wondering if someone would say it so I wouldnt have to.

C4s were OK in their day, great suspension, L98 is a boat anchor of a motor. The old 4+3 trans. was anemic....

But whatever floats your boat, drive one first. I remember wanting one 10 years ago when I was 16. They were $8k back then too LOL

Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 AM
IMXCITD is on a distinguished road
C4's are ok for daily driver...but a rough ride, pain in the ******* to get in and out of. I have had 4 of them. If I were buying for a daily driver and wasn't to worried about peformance...then yes....get the L98 over the LT1. If you get the '91...same exterior and you get the L98. W the L98...don't have to worry about the optispark. Other options...look into LS camaro's and trans ams. I hate to say it...but I have a 98 Lexus LS400 for a beater..and it's great. Comfortable, reliable and it moves (a little)....for the money...couldn't beat it.....then I can have whatever for fun and no worries. Good luck.