American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

GT350 or Z06?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 06:44 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
Question GT350 or Z06?

Was thinking of getting the 2020 Carrera S, basically a stripper plus CCBS and Bose for 131 but I cant wait until spring for this next cars. I got hurt pretty good racing motorcycles last month and im going down to my home in Florida to rehab and just chill. No more bikes for me so im buying a car with the money from selling my dozen bikes, price isn't a huge concern but I am a value guy and never keep things very long so losing 40k in a year isnt ideal...

Looking at a new 19 gt350 for 60grand. I have never owned a mustang and always hated them for the solid rear axel, bad brakes, heavy and low power. Im an ex pro road racer and driver coach and never drove a modified one at the track even, really only exotics and germans. I used to have a c6 z06 that I loved for a daily driver and would do occasional 10lap sprints when coaching at the track. It never overheated coolant or engine/diff/trans oil ever. Was going to gt a new 19 z06 manual but they still overheat with an intermediate driver, let alone someone who's going to be pushing it for its life....

So here comes the gt350, its got floating rotors and decent calipers, indy rear end, mechanical lsd, 530hp, but its pretty heavy at 3750. I think it COULD be the right car for me as a 5k mile yr daily driver between my home in Florida and house in country side of pa. I have heard of engine issues with these and some complains of oil temps by better than average drivers.

I want to know really what im getting into for this thing. I AM NOT LOOKING TO MAKE IT INTO A "TRACK CAR" but it NEEDS to be able to be driven 10/10ths by a pro for a solid 20minutes in 95* heat at PBIR/homestead Miami which are very hard on temps tracks (hi speed hi revs hi brake)

I dont want to do anything to this car just the basics reflash, tint, rbf600 lines pads and call it a day. Is this reasonable or do I need to get additional oil coolers and other things? I have also considered getting a GT performance pack for 43grand and putting 14k into it but I want a warranty, that's horrible for resale value as ill only have this car 1 yr max, plus im just completely and utterly burned out of working on and building race cars.

Im still not sure its the right car for me but sure would be practical IMO.

Im single and there will never be 3 people in the car and almost never 2 people. I dont load a bunch of crap and groceries for the week I can fit in 3 plastic bags so space and what other people would consider "practical" things like that are of zero concern to me.

The Gt350 sure seems to have lots of engine issue with piston slap and LOTS of people getting replacement motors with under 10k miles. Seems like a car that when the warranty is up you sell the car since the motor blowing would be 20grand.

Ive gone back and forth on a new z06 and the gt350 where I decided "ok for sure im getting the XXXXX" and then a few hrs later im like ok that was stupid Ill get the XXX and it will be smarter and happier decision..

really dont know what to do. Not getting a base C8, will likely get a c8Z in 2-3years anyways. Decided for sure I do NOT want anything used tho.

the z06 is 650hp/650tq stock. supposedly a nice 7 speed manual. great brakes, great suspension PLUS a t top which would be awesome as I hate convertibles but love the open top targa/aventador/lotus enclosed, open top type feel. appears extremely reliable and only partial issues are still hot trans temps on track. Cant get clear answers on the Vette forum but seeing as it overheats to anyone its going to be someone at my level. Im not going to short shift it to try and keep temps down, thats absurd. so it might need a cooler.

thoughts?

Last edited by GCBC; 07-16-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:10 AM
Vintage Racer will become famous soon enoughVintage Racer will become famous soon enough

I traded a Z06 for this 2019 Shelby GT350:

Old 07-23-2019, 06:02 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Both are great cars in slightly different categories. You have a tough decision, for sure, that only you can make.

I'm not in the market right now for American so I am not up on current conditions, with the exception of time I actively spend on Corvette Forums. From what the "talk" is, C7s are on a fire sale. Supposedly, dealers are choking on inventory, exacerbated by the C8 announcement. Don't know if that impacts the Z06, but might be worth exploring.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Vintage Racer will become famous soon enoughVintage Racer will become famous soon enough
I think the old C6/C7 are done with the new C8 coming.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vintage Racer
I think the old C6/C7 are done with the new C8 coming.
Yes, I completely agree with you. Yet, in my experience, there are lots of C6/C7 owners who are "hardheads" and will not see it that way. This is the true definition of "Parochial Loyalty" some of which is driven solely by affordability.