American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

The C8 Corvette

Old 07-19-2019, 02:40 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
The C8 Corvette

GM made its splash yesterday and announced the next gen Corvette. Having owned a "few" of them in the past and thinking I'm probably done, this C8 is a beauty and has me rethinking my strategy.

It is a mid-engine layout - a first for Corvette. It's gorgeous with a start price in the $60Ks and a sub 3.0 sec. 0-60, so they proclaim:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/the-corvette-goes-mid-engined-supercar-performance-for-60000/

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-19-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 PM
jagman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BWings
GM made its splash yesterday and announced the next gen Corvette. Having owned a "few" of them in the past and thinking I'm probably done, this C8 is a beauty and has me rethinking my strategy.

It is a mid-engine layout - a first for Corvette. It's gorgeous with a start price in the $60Ks and a sub 3.0 sec. 0-60, so they proclaim:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07...nce-for-60000/
I've never been a big fan of Corvette. I liked them but never loved them. The C8 looks to be pretty damn phenomenal. It's modern, dare I say emotional, and has tons of potential. It looks like they finally have a good interior (except the steering wheel). I'm really looking forward to the rumored flat plane V8. I'm hoping that's the Z06 (but naturally aspirated this time). We'll see.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:10 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jagman
I've never been a big fan of Corvette. I liked them but never loved them. The C8 looks to be pretty damn phenomenal. It's modern, dare I say emotional, and has tons of potential. It looks like they finally have a good interior (except the steering wheel). I'm really looking forward to the rumored flat plane V8. I'm hoping that's the Z06 (but naturally aspirated this time). We'll see.
I completely agree with all the points you've made. I too think the interior looks very good, in fact wild, with the steering wheel design the weak point. And, as you've said, the flat plane crank has been on my watchlist as well. The only wishes I'll add is DOHC, as this LT2 is back to the 100 year old single cam pushrod design; and add AWD as this option really makes a sub 3.0 sec light weight platform work.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:02 PM
308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !308steve Is a GOD !
Starting at sub 60K + dealer gouging! Probably best to wait unit the initial 'got to be the first to have one' feeding frenzy dies down or at least until the first round of recalls happens.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by 308steve
Starting at sub 60K + dealer gouging! Probably best to wait unit the initial 'got to be the first to have one' feeding frenzy dies down or at least until the first round of recalls happens.
Yeah, agree with you....GM is notorious for extending its "Beta shake out testing" into the first production model year, sometimes even the second year. Witness: 1984 C4; 1997 C5; 2005 C6; 2014 C7. If I did go back(wards), it would at least need to be 2021 or 22.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:53 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
It looks like a great car to drive overall. It would be pretty easy to slap a huge motor in it too. Say what you want about the pushrod V8, but it is light weight and gets the power down.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:52 PM
jjtoma is on a distinguished road
Smile Allocations

FROM CORVETTE FORUM today:

Connell Chevrolet is already accepting deposits on 2021 C8 Corvettes. The dealership sold out of all 90 allocations in 10 minutes today. They started accepting deposits on 2021 Corvettes. A-lot of people that were watching the unavailing of the c8 today did not get their allocations. The dealership started taking deposits for the upcoming year. Several people signed up and were very happy to get a spot even for a 2021 C8. It was crazy to see a dealer sell every car in 10 minutes. By 11:15am totally sold out @MSRP no ADM. This car is very hot. Anyone planning on going today (August 2nd) to pick up a allocation is too late. 2021 Wait list has started. This may be a growing trend.