American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

'08 Viper gets 600hp at $83k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:29 PM
IIVVX will become famous soon enoughIIVVX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Why the hell are you even in the American Muscle section Ms. Prius/Saab driver?
im on the floor!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:21 PM
jellybone is on a distinguished road
08 Viper

The car has been tested by various magazines already, embargo I think is released soon so by September you'll be reading all about it. I think there is even a video on Youtube of the car gunning down a straight at VIR.
Few things everybody should know:
-2006 Coupe was a more benign car than the current king of the hill Z06, had more grip in the corners and better brakes, Z06 lap times benefitted by the huge acceleration out of corners. 08 Viper has 90+ more hp, new rear diff for better powering out of corners, and new stickier tires, add those up and the writing is on the wall
-Car & Driver timed the 08 Coupe about a second per lap faster than the Z06, keep in mind Z06's best lap time came in much better conditions too so estimate 2-3 seconds a lap better.
-no 1/4 mile numbers yet (official or unofficial) but the number 130 trap speed has been unofficially mentioned
-17 city/31 highway, huge improvement in fuel mileage. I have one on order in Canada and there is only a $1000 green levy imposed on the vehicle, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has a $4000 green levy.. more power, plus better mileage is always good.
I'm a huge fan of any cars (have had just about every make you can think of), 2008 will be the year of the Viper, GT2 will be killer but it's priced way way above that of a Viper. I can get a new 08 for about 99k (cdn), GT2 I think will be about 250k (cdn), not that I'd be able to get one they'll be so limited up here.
Anyway it was between a 997 GT3 or the 08 Viper for me, seriously could have gone either way (I have automotive OCD) but in the end 99k for 600+hp (it's underrated) or 159k for a used GT3 (found an american car brought up, Canadian cars are even more), well opted for the Viper. I'll wait a few years and get a used GT3 when they fall towards 100k. Until then it's Viper track days and a new 08 GTR for the street (have one of those on order as well).

Old 08-12-2007, 08:14 PM
IIVVX will become famous soon enoughIIVVX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jellybone
The car has been tested by various magazines already, embargo I think is released soon so by September you'll be reading all about it. I think there is even a video on Youtube of the car gunning down a straight at VIR.
Few things everybody should know:
-2006 Coupe was a more benign car than the current king of the hill Z06, had more grip in the corners and better brakes, Z06 lap times benefitted by the huge acceleration out of corners. 08 Viper has 90+ more hp, new rear diff for better powering out of corners, and new stickier tires, add those up and the writing is on the wall
-Car & Driver timed the 08 Coupe about a second per lap faster than the Z06, keep in mind Z06's best lap time came in much better conditions too so estimate 2-3 seconds a lap better.
-no 1/4 mile numbers yet (official or unofficial) but the number 130 trap speed has been unofficially mentioned
-17 city/31 highway, huge improvement in fuel mileage. I have one on order in Canada and there is only a $1000 green levy imposed on the vehicle, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has a $4000 green levy.. more power, plus better mileage is always good.
I'm a huge fan of any cars (have had just about every make you can think of), 2008 will be the year of the Viper, GT2 will be killer but it's priced way way above that of a Viper. I can get a new 08 for about 99k (cdn), GT2 I think will be about 250k (cdn), not that I'd be able to get one they'll be so limited up here.
Anyway it was between a 997 GT3 or the 08 Viper for me, seriously could have gone either way (I have automotive OCD) but in the end 99k for 600+hp (it's underrated) or 159k for a used GT3 (found an american car brought up, Canadian cars are even more), well opted for the Viper. I'll wait a few years and get a used GT3 when they fall towards 100k. Until then it's Viper track days and a new 08 GTR for the street (have one of those on order as well).
excellent post, very nice choices you have made there. i have been thinking of ordering a GT-R for daily use as well.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Why the hell are you even in the American Muscle section Ms. Prius/Saab driver?
So I guess now when I don't even have a car anymore I'm only allowed in the off topic section??....

I'm sensing a little "I've got more money than you, therefore I'm better."
Great stuff guys..... makes me sick....

Old 08-15-2007, 03:46 PM
BottleCapKid is on a distinguished road
WICKED and those wheels are ****tin!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
So I guess now when I don't even have a car anymore I'm only allowed in the off topic section??....

I'm sensing a little "I've got more money than you, therefore I'm better."
Great stuff guys..... makes me sick....

Are you for real? The guy drives a Saab and a Prius which are hardly American Muscle cars and makes the assinine comment that he made.Thus he gets the responses he has received. Get it now?

It has NOTHING to do with how much money you have. His comment is akin to going on a Weight Watchers forum and posting how sick you are hearing stuff about counting fat grams and you weigh 350 lbs yourself.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Zlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant futureZlaatan has a brilliant future
Are you for real? The guy drives a Saab and a Prius which are hardly American Muscle cars and makes the assinine comment that he made.Thus he gets the responses he has received. Get it now?

It has NOTHING to do with how much money you have. His comment is akin to going on a Weight Watchers forum and posting how sick you are hearing stuff about counting fat grams and you weigh 350 lbs yourself.
So if he would have a Ford GT and a 69' Camaro, he could say whatever he wants about the Viper?..
I don't think you should tell people they don't have the right to express their opinion (no matter how they do it) based on what car they drive, that's all.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Banned
*STATUS* is on a distinguished road
The viper is still an overpriced kids dream car thats horrible except for "looking cool"

Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zlaatan
So if he would have a Ford GT and a 69' Camaro, he could say whatever he wants about the Viper?..
I don't think you should tell people they don't have the right to express their opinion (no matter how they do it) based on what car they drive, that's all.
You obviously don't get it.

Yes, he can say what he wants....... and I (and more than a few others) can tell him how stupid he looks by making a comment like that when he drives a couple of fagwagons....thats all.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by *STATUS*
The viper is still an overpriced kids dream car thats horrible except for "looking cool"
You're starting off in fine fashion noob .........I notice you didn't post what type of car you drive. Hmmmmmm......so, how do you like your Datsun B210?

Old 08-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Simba
Every one I've ever driven (quite a few) has been superb. They certainly don't handle like a Lotus or a Ferrari, the car isn't about picking which pebble you want to run over in a corner. You've got to manhandle it around quite a bit, however, I find that if you really push them they respond very well.

After a few weeks of driving one in anger, they're very confidence inspiring.

If I'm entirely honest with myself, the SRT10 is the most fun I've ever had in a car, period.
I would have to agree that you have to man handle which makes it fun, but overall i dont feel that it is a great performance car even if you are a pretty decent driver.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Simba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud ofSimba has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by *STATUS*
I would have to agree that you have to man handle which makes it fun, but overall i dont feel that it is a great performance car even if you are a pretty decent driver.
... and as a student, you've owned and driven how many of them?

Old 08-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Simba
... and as a student, you've owned and driven how many of them?
not to be rude but i have probably driven way more cars then you can count havent owned any of them but I have driven quite a few vipers and had them for longer than a day or a couple of hours. and I still think the viper is rubbish, it is a fairly tough car to drive daily as well as even tougher to push for decent times or for good passes on a road course. the car has the performance numbers and what not but for the price and performance capabilites i would take a z06 any day, z06 is still a few seconds faster than a viper.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned
You're starting off in fine fashion noob .........I notice you didn't post what type of car you drive. Hmmmmmm......so, how do you like your Datsun B210?
I do apologize the cars I own are a turbo pt cruiser(it will shock you ) and audi a4 but i hardly drive them cuz i always have press cars... thanks i try ha ha

Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Banned
whats up with the fighting up top ah ah

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '08 Viper gets 600hp at $83k