Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Dilemna for future purchase...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:06 AM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Dilemna for future purchase...

When I planned to sell my m3 a few months ago, I wanted to get into a used 996TT ($70k budget max). After selling, I decided to wait a year and depending how things go, possibly get a 997GT3. Here comes the dilemna, I saw my first vantage yesterday and it was stunning. I was stopped dead in my tracks and am now thinking if this should be the next big purchase. I am a cruiser, I dont' like to race I just like to drive. If I had the gt3, I think I'd prob go once or twice to the track but that's it. I guess my question is, what other vehicles were in the running before you purchased the AM. What are your thoughts on reliability on these vehicles.

Edwin

Last edited by M32; 11-12-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like the AMV8 would suit you great, it's more of a crusier, but not boring by any means, and since your old car is a e46 M, the V8 won't dissapoint in the power category.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I have had many cars but the recent ones that relate to your question were E46 M3 Cab, 996 GT3 (series 1), 996 tt w/ lots of TechArt mods (550HP). My Vantage is a blast ... and I do cruising and track with all my cars - and all were very reliable. AM is now a reliable car - Ford made this a big deal and their new management agrees.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:09 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Go for it, I think you will highly appreciate its presence, heritage and quality. Its a very enjoyable car that drives well and feels very sporty compared to the DB9 and XKR which are purely 2+2 GT coupe's.

Actually the V8 Vantage is a great car to track once in a while, it has a sporty side to it and the sound after 4,000rpm is just to die for.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 AM
vincenzo is on a distinguished road
I can tell you exactly what I told Tri:

I did some research as well in considering a Morning Frost White vantage coupe. From what I gather, Aston has made the Vantage its most reliable car ever.

First of all, Dr. Ulrich Bez, former Porsche boss, had moved to Aston while the DB9 was being designed, and before the Vantage was designed. I'm sure Dr. Bez enforced the importance of reliability.

Secondly, the Vantage was designed at a time when Aston had more economic resources to spend on research and development. Ford Motor Company poured millions of dollars into the brand, which allowed Aston to build a brand-new, state-of-the-art factory in Gaydon to conduct research and develop its cars.

Thirdly, the DB9 was launched first, followed by the V8 Vantage a few years later. The DB9 was launched first and was sort of a guinea pig. Aston used lessons learned from the earlier DB9's problems to refine the V8 Vantage before launch.

So really, you have nothing to worry about. I have spoken to many Vantage owners and they have not had any major problems. Some have mentioned minor quibbles, such as minor dash lights turning on. But these lights are usually turned off (for free) with a quick visit to the dealer, who often find that the light turned on because of something stupid, such as the gas tank lid not being closed properly. But no major problems, no major engine failure or major parts breaking.

And if I couldn't persuade you with my logic ... how about an irrational, emotional point?

Can you really say no to this beauty? Especially in Morning Frost White?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 PM
M32
M32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant futureM32 has a brilliant future
Thanks for the input everyone. Vincenzo, I did read your aforementioned post and it is hard to say no to the frost white. I always wanted a AM and didn't realize that a preowned one is within grasp (at around $100k). I think you all are correct... there's just something about owning a Aston vs. a Porsche

Edwin

Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M32
Thanks for the input everyone. Vincenzo, I did read your aforementioned post and it is hard to say no to the frost white. I always wanted a AM and didn't realize that a preowned one is within grasp (at around $100k). I think you all are correct... there's just something about owning a Aston vs. a Porsche

Edwin
Edwin,

I've got a line on a nice Vantage. Low miles with some prodrive mods. Let me know if your interested now. You should look at the CLK Black Series too. I think if you can wait another few months the 996 turbos will be getting into a comfortable price range.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 AM
M32
Originally Posted by bmoores
Edwin,

I've got a line on a nice Vantage. Low miles with some prodrive mods. Let me know if your interested now. You should look at the CLK Black Series too. I think if you can wait another few months the 996 turbos will be getting into a comfortable price range.
Ben,

Thanks for the heads up bro. I like the CLK Black series but I am stuck on a Vantage I was planning on doing something next year but if there's a good deal, I can't pass it up. Can you pm me the details on the Aston?

Yeah, the 996 turbos are getting more and more affordable...but you know, after thinking about it, I think I'd rather have a 997...but if I was gonna spend money on a 997, I'd rather have an Vantage

Edwin

Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
pratt is on a distinguished road
just test drove the vantage and db9 this weekend. I have a 996 turbo currently. I like the way the vantage handled, but felt the torque and power was woefully inadequate (drove 6 speed manual). I liked the power of the db9 much better.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
pratt is on a distinguished road
p.s. I liked the looks of the vantage better. I wish Am would seriously upgrade the hp/torque of the vantage.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:35 PM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
I replaced my E46 M3 with a Porsche 996. When I was looking to replace my Porsche 996 I really expected to buy a Porsche 997. I test drove a C2S, and a C4S and wasn't really impressed. Then I thought I'd get a 997 Turbo. I test drove a Turbo and was very impressed with its power but still not happy with the lack of any other siginificant improvements over the 996. I decided to look at Aston and really liked the V8 Vantage. The size was right and, although nowhere near the performance of the Turbo, it's really a great drive, sounds awesome, looks great, and has a beautifully finished interior. I'm very pleased with the V8 Vantage I bought, haven't had any significant problems, and really enjoy driving a car that is relatively rare.

Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by HenryM
I replaced my E46 M3 with a Porsche 996. When I was looking to replace my Porsche 996 I really expected to buy a Porsche 997. I test drove a C2S, and a C4S and wasn't really impressed. Then I thought I'd get a 997 Turbo. I test drove a Turbo and was very impressed with its power but still not happy with the lack of any other siginificant improvements over the 996. I decided to look at Aston and really liked the V8 Vantage. The size was right and, although nowhere near the performance of the Turbo, it's really a great drive, sounds awesome, looks great, and has a beautifully finished interior. I'm very pleased with the V8 Vantage I bought, haven't had any significant problems, and really enjoy driving a car that is relatively rare.
Very sporty colour combination, I like it alot!

Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Banned
JADE46 is on a distinguished road
^^ HOT color!!!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:19 PM
kaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the roughkaz555 is a jewel in the rough
The vantage is great car but no match in terms of performance when compared to the 997GT3.......okay maybe a little bit of competition but it would most likely get raped on the track.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:53 AM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
I agree that the Vantage isn't near as focused a performance car as a 997 GT3. The GT3 is a great track appliance. But, I didn't want to buy a track appliance.

Henry