Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Question on AMV8 Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
THE_BOSS is on a distinguished road
Question on AMV8 Brakes

Hey guys, i have an AMV8 06, and ever since i had it it would not stop making this squeaky noise from the brakes. I had it sent to the Aston Martin garage tons of times but eventually the squeaky whistly sound would still come back. Does anyone know as to why this is occuring ??

Old 04-04-2008, 02:57 PM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
not sure if the v8 vantage runs brembo brakes or not, if they do, brembos just like to squeek and squeal. thats a price you pay for high performance brakes. my db9 makes these noises too, as do my other two vehicles also equipped with brembos. if its excessive noise, either you need to pads and/or rotors or there is a small rock stuck in one of your pads.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by lawin
not sure if the v8 vantage runs brembo brakes or not, if they do, brembos just like to squeek and squeal. thats a price you pay for high performance brakes. my db9 makes these noises too, as do my other two vehicles also equipped with brembos. if its excessive noise, either you need to pads and/or rotors or there is a small rock stuck in one of your pads.
It has less to do with the rotors and calipers as it does the pads, correct? It seems Aston Martin would equip these cars with proper pads for street use, which makes me believe it's not normal for them to squeak. A ultra-high performance pad will squeak when it's not at its prime operating temperatures, is my understanding.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 AM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
brembos squeek whether they be street or track applications. yes, the squeeking usually is the pads, however it could be the rotors. the calipers are not a probable culprit. what the op needs to post is the info on the squeeking whether its intermittent or not and how loud the noise is. is the noise coming from one corner or several? if its excessively noisey on only one corner then most likely something needs to be attended to.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
It is the pad and there is an issue here - AM knows it and the dealers are trying a band-aid fix w/ a gell to stop the pad vibration in the rotor. Application is a bit of an art than science - mine was fixed. Take back to dealer and make sure they fix or run up the AM chain as in get new pads. These are not race pads - I have had them on the track w/ AM at Sebring - the compond has an issue and I am sure will be fixed in the near term w/ a new pad compound. Again the dealer fixed mine ... best of luck and keep us posted if they give you a new pad set ... probably the new compound.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:45 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Michael,

What did you resolve on your brake pads? Did AM provide new ones? Have you experimented at all with different pads like Pagids?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
The dealer put a compound between the pad and piston area - pretty common fix for vibrating pads which is what the squeel sound was (in this case). So no, I did not get a set of new pads - this fix was a good 6-7 months ago. I am not sure if '08 cars have a new compound/pad (I have an '07). The vast majority of the sound went away with dealer fix - so I am OK with it.
I was told these are Brembo brand pads - but do not confuse these pads with the various other compounds for the track - like what Padgid offers (they code them by different colors). The AM/Brembo pads are a street compound - not track - yes they have a partial metalic compound but not the degree like we see for "track" pads - which will also squeel but for a different reason. I was contacted by a guy in NC (?) that makes pads for all cars but in different compounds (like track days and even racing too)- he wants to make some for the V8V. I will look up and post the contact info ... I have just been to busy to mod the car ... let us know about the springs ... I def. will be doing that too.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Duh ... it was Carbotech ... one of our site sponsers listed on the right ...

Let me know if you contact them ... a good street/track day pad/compound that you do not have to change for a day at the track would be great !