Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How many of you are running with fuse 22 pulled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
turbo turbo is on a distinguished road
pulled the fuse last yesr, no problems so far..

Old 08-27-2008, 01:57 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
I have not read anything long term - thinking no one has kept it pulled for that long. The other easy "fix" is disconnect the vacuum tubes running to the switch valve (actually on the exhaust - you can see them under the car) and leave fuse 22 connected. You will not get the mixture issue, you may loose a little low end torque - but the sound is open at all RPMs like it was above 4500 RPM when connected. The switch is open and the vacuum closes it - kinda backwords logic - unless you design it this way for a reason !!!
I did this "disconnect" thing for awhile (12 months) - then went w/ RSC mods including a Quicksilver exhaust. You will find Quicksilver/Tubi/Gruppe B do not have a vacuum connection on their exhausts for AM.

I can see the black vacuum line connected to the exhaust on the drivers side but I am having difficulty locating the one on the passenger side. I think it is located more on the top of the exhaust and slightly out of view. Is this correct? If so, is it difficult to just reach up there and disconnect the black line?

TIA,
Adam

Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Yes - sounds like you are correct, it is up there and can be done by hand. If you had the exhaust removed (and you do not need too for disconnect) you would see that the passenger/driver sides are slightly offset in rotation but the units (round shape, silver color aluminum, nozzle sticks out that hose goes on - kinda like an aquarium air hose connecting on to the air pump) on the "top" of exhaust are the same pieces and would disconnect the same way. That is a lot of words for yes, in slightly different places. Would probably be a lot easier to disconnect if up on a lift (or maybe a jack?) - cars are just sitting low. Just make sure car has not been run for several hours !!!
Also - just a note, my RSC Quicksilver exhaust sounds even better than disconnected stock ... but this gives you an idea. The stock exhaust is extremely "packed" and inefficient.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:28 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Yes - sounds like you are correct, it is up there and can be done by hand. If you had the exhaust removed (and you do not need too for disconnect) you would see that the passenger/driver sides are slightly offset in rotation but the units (round shape, silver color aluminum, nozzle sticks out that hose goes on - kinda like an aquarium air hose connecting on to the air pump) on the "top" of exhaust are the same pieces and would disconnect the same way. That is a lot of words for yes, in slightly different places. Would probably be a lot easier to disconnect if up on a lift (or maybe a jack?) - cars are just sitting low. Just make sure car has not been run for several hours !!!
Also - just a note, my RSC Quicksilver exhaust sounds even better than disconnected stock ... but this gives you an idea. The stock exhaust is extremely "packed" and inefficient.
Michael:

Excellent! Thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated. I will put the car on a lift to get at the passenger side. I plan to get an exhaust but would like to get the feel for how it will sound first.

I just got the car on Saturday so I need to wait a few weeks before I make another large purchase or the wife will toss me out. I am assuming the exhaust will cost around $3,500 installed.

Adam

Old 11-26-2008, 04:12 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Michael,

The Quicksilver exhaust has the valves as well or it's only the OEM ? I have the Quicksilver and wondered if pulling fuse 22 will do anything at all?

Old 11-26-2008, 05:06 PM
QS does not have the valves ...

Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 PM
With a QS exhaust (and other aftermarket exhausts w/o valve) you do not want to pull the fuze ...

Old 11-26-2008, 05:27 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks a lot, figured I ask a pro

Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Michael,

Sorry to bother... Service Bulletin #236 is for manuals or sport shift ? Wondered if you brought in yours for this service and does it make a difference?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
Just went under the car and disconnected the hoses. Happy with this cheap "mod" for now!
Question: Should I plug the hoses with something or can I just leave them as is?
Thanks.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:03 AM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Kam - i have and had pulled fuse 22 on all of my former and actual AMs and NEVER HAD ANY PROBS !

forgot to say that i am daily driver

Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
Angel

Thanks for your input though my understanding is that disconnecting the tubes (as I did yesterday) provides the same sound effect as pulling the fuse. I'm glad you don't have any issues with pulling the fuse although some are warning about the possibility of getting an error code on your computer.
What I noticed is that I now get that rumble a little under 3k RPM as opposed to above 4k RPM.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 AM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
you know Mythbusters ? all this error code/ crash the catalysts etc. is BS btw a good electrician will install you a switch under the steering wheel column that dis/enables the fuse

Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Point Taken!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
SPEEDMAN is on a distinguished road
With a QS exhaust (and other aftermarket exhausts w/o valve) you do not want to pull the fuze ...
then i guess my car is about to explode, since i've driven it for more than 5000 km without the fuse and with a quicksilver sports exhaust.

they said at the dealership it doesn't make a difference, since the valves aren't opening or closing anymore since there aren't any valves anymore anyway, using a sports exhaust like a quicksilver.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many of you are running with fuse 22 pulled?