Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AMV8 power upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Envy - good call on the Ram Air and wind tunnel, all the superbikes did this years ago and found some extra HP, feel sure it works on a car, just hard to quantify for those looking for exact figures, and on a low budget - anybody got a friend at NASCAR? Also dyno results can certainly differ depending on ambient temp/humidity/air flow - I kinda get the impression most folks do not quite get that there are a lot of factors and curves can change one day to the next - like getting an A+ on your physics lab cause you knew all the hidden factors - the ball just didn't roll down the ramp !

stearnsn - I have been kinda poking HZ about some dyno graphs too just to show some fellow AM owners - I think the only problem is then folks do the armchair quarterback and only look at a one dimensional graphs. The curve certainly paints a picture, but sometimes they can be "faked" too - I do not think HZ would do that - but back in my 996tt days - people were bragging about some curves by different Mfg's. - I sure blew by a lot of P-cars that had "600+ HP" and mine had a genuine 550.
I do have a lead and an invitation to hit a dyno - about a 2 hour drive and I just have not had the time over a Saturday - "can't she drive herself to softball at age 11" ! Then again it would be just w/ all the mods together (ECU/Cats/Exhaust), not in phases, and not the stock setup to compair with the same car - maybe still not so bad.

I do not want to put words in HZs mouth about the how but I can tell you my car has not missed a beat w/ the mods. And the springs go on next week ! I'll be at Sebring 9/20 and will be able to give you some more feedback. Also going on a long road trip in Oct - a little "Tail of the Dragon" !!
I would love to run against a new 4.7 ... that would be a nice benchmark ! There are still a few '08s on the lot down here in Tampa ... bet Tom would make some deals ... and HZ could provide mods ...

Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Envy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond repute
True alot of factors in a dyno graph, even the different dyno graphs themselves can be to blame. You may dyno on a dynopro and then goto a dyno dynamics and see close to a 80whp loss. BTW what all is done to your AM?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:54 AM
ECU/Cats/Exhaust/Springs/Brake kit for additional air flow to front rotors

Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Track tires and brake pads

Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
ECU/Cats/Exhaust/Springs/Brake kit for additional air flow to front rotors

Are you running stock brake pads and tires on the track? I have been using stock pads and tires, but last weekend on Pocono Raceway North road course a heavily modified 944 Turbo that couldn't keep up with me with his street tires crushed me in the corners later in the day when he changed to slicks... Got me thinking about track tires...

Old 09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Track tires and slicks will be your biggest bang for the buck on the track. I always had 2 sets of wheels for my P-cars - track and street. If you want to go that route I would suggest a new set for the street, maybe something custom/aftermarket and keep your old wheels for the track or get a set of used take off wheels for the track. Either way you will go quicker on the track w/ sticky tires ...

Old 09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't forget to change out your brake pads too. The stock compound isn't up to the task.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Brake pad recommendations

Originally Posted by stearnsn
Don't forget to change out your brake pads too. The stock compound isn't up to the task.
Any particular recommendations on pads for street and track based on actual usage?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:12 PM
I have used (and like) Pagid Blues as a compromise street/track pad on my Lotus. Everyone seems to have a different take on pads though.

Last edited by stearnsn; 10-21-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Did the Pagid Blues "squeel" when used on the street ?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Occasionally but not nearly as bad as when I had them on my 993, it was almost un-drivable. I spooged on some brake quieting stuff to the backing plates when I installed the Pagids on the Lotus so that may be helping. I also carefully followed the Pagid bedding instructions. They seem to make noise on corners on the track where I only lightly brake to set the car but not under hard braking and rarely if any on the street. Ok with me but YMMV.

BTW, there is lots of discussion on pads on other parts of these forms.