Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM Factory/Dealer Power Upgrade Kit for 4.3 ltr

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Moogle
Someone just had it installed on their car on www.amoc.org
They promised an update so look on the vantage forums there.
Great...thanks!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I should be able to post my impression of kit in a couple of days ...

Old 11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Awesome. I am very interested to hear the results!

BTW, I am going to inquire with my dealer as well about pricing.

Adam

Old 11-18-2008, 12:33 PM
lucky6600 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
I should be able to post my impression of kit in a couple of days ...

please let us know how much the difference!!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Aston Man is on a distinguished road
Michael, System is installed we should be able to download new ecu software tommorrow 11/19 and see how she runs. I have have parts info for the Sport pack upgrades as well.
Tom
Aston Martin of Tampa

Old 11-18-2008, 05:49 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Tom,

I am a new member arround here. Just wondered if there is any truth to the Quicksilver exhaust. Do they really add some power and change throttle response? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Aston Man is on a distinguished road
Not that I specific data but an engine is basically an air pump the better you can get air both in and out the more horsepower you can achieve. With the Aston Upgrade exhaust and air filters I believe you are close to the 09 vantage at 420 hp.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Lev - the QC will certainly open up some HP by itself but you will not experience the throttle response like you have w/ the "button" on your E46 M3. I tried 3 versions of the QC exhausts and w/ 200 cell cats. There was a differernce but not a huge one (any of the three combos w/ 200 cell cats) in throttle response. There is a difference in throttle response w/ the AM Power Upgrade kit and the QC Exhaust and the 200 cell cats. Again not the response you have w/ the M3 "button" but it is improved. The M3 button just dumps fuel quicker - no real HP gain. I just picked up my car w/ the Power Kit installed (already had the cats & exhaust). Unfortunately I was not able to drive it too much - mostly interstate. There is a difference in pick up at around 3000 RPM in 6th - not as hesitant as before. I really need to get the car on some curves on the back roads to give you a better impression - as in more detail.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:20 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Michael,

What was you total cost and how long did they have your car?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:53 PM
This was the first time my dealer had done this job and I had a few other things done to the car so the 5 days is not a true idea for the Power Kit install - BTW they gave me a loaner the entire time (big a## Jag sedan - was actually a very nice car). IMHO 1-2 days (tops) is more realistic for the Power Kit. I know we have seen 6 hours quoted and that might be an idea for the hourly cost but in my case the dealer/mechanic wanted to make sure he had everything just right. It was a very clean install - just what you would expect from AM. The black head piece on the engine is quite different - looks mean - I liked the silver but this is growing on me quickly. Again I need to drive the car more ... I want to see where we are on back roads and how it feels, before spouting-off here on 6speed. I have some other SW mods to compare too also.
And ... you also asked about price ... plan on $5k ... I wish it was less ... AM is like TechArt (P-car stuff) not cheap but the quality is very good. If you compare to the P-car X-50 package this is still less expensive in regards to HP vs $$ ... then again if it was $3500 then I think it would be a total no brainer ... again let me get some miles on it ...
Have you driven a 4.7 ?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have not yet driven a 4.7. I don't forsee buying a new car until the 12 cyl or a factory supercharged version comes down the line so I don't want to fog up my mind. I do have a quicksilver on my car so your opinion on the power kit is important. By the way, what else did you have done?

Old 11-23-2008, 04:33 PM
OK - Power Pack system is in, I have the car back, and I've had some time to drive it (and I want more). Let me start from scratch - car now has lowering springs w/ Std 19" wheels , RSC 200 cell cats, QC/RSC exhaust w/ 4.5" baffle (the quiet one of the 3 - I have bolted on all 3 and "tied back" my std. exhaust to comp'r.), have had 2 seperate shots at SW/ECU upgrades and now have had my dealer install the AM Power Kit (HW & SW). AND also have a "Cool Brake" system installed to bring more air to the front rotors.
The AM Power Kit does make a difference w/ the "open" exhaust the car is probably putting out 420 HP. I know the AM kit brought the car to 400HP, I think it is resonable to say the cats & exhaust gave me 20 HP (5%) or so extra. The AM kit is around $5k - now the question is - is it worth it? Well we all want HP for free but those days are over, this AM kit did make a difference on my car vs. stock - it picks up better - excell'n is better, the throttle response is also better, the car just seems to breath better and now has some grunt out of the turns. The QC exhaust is louder than stock but not ear drum killing. I have taken a straight 12 hour trip and was fine afterwards - no ear ringing as in some aftermarket exhausts I've had in my P-cars. I think the kit is worth it - it would be a much easier mod if it was priced at something like $3500 - more like a no brainer. The P-car X50 package offers about the same HP bump but is much more expensive - and would be difficult to retro fit a car w/o one installed - this is a good comparison for price - I believe the X 50 was $20k option! I will be keeping this car for awhile (I always say that) and am not concerned about what I will get back vs. money spent on go faster parts. I know you do not get 100% back at resale - but there are buyers who recognize these parts and would buy my car over a standard version all day long. So 25%-50% at resale, it is all a arm chair debate that does not bother me, they new owner will benefit at that time.
I also want to add that I was very impressed w/ the new 4.7 Vantage and what it brings to the table, including the Sports suspension option. Is the 4.3 power kit w/ cats & exhaust an equal to the 4.7 - actually I think it is, if not then very, very close. I need to run against one to give the final word.
So if you are looking for an alternative, this is a nice kit including the other pieces, combine it w/ the current market prices on 06-08 Vantages and you have a nice set up. I am also going to look into the 09 suspension - it can be fitted to a 4.3 car (the 4.7 w/o sports option is the same as early 4.3 cars).
So yes, I am glad I have had the kit and the other pieces installed and yes there is a difference you can feel vs. stock ... IMHO

Old 11-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
OK - Power Pack system is in, I have the car back, and I've had some time to drive it (and I want more)...So yes, I am glad I have had the kit and the other pieces installed and yes there is a difference you can feel vs. stock ... IMHO
Nice write-up, thanks. It's nice to know it does make some difference. The biggest problem that should be fixable with software remapping is better throttle reponse especially at lower RPMs. It's good to see that this has been improved with the remap. From the sound of it, this remap is better than aftermarket software you've tried. Considering that my X5 has better throttle response in sport mode than the Vantage, it seems like it should be easily fixed with better software. What is the new redline?

Next up gears...I'm hoping we see this come out soon. I think 10% shorter ring and pinion will make a big difference with this car.

The last question really is...is it worth it to get hp in small increments or bite the bullet and get a supercharger kit? Seems like the cost ultimately will be pretty close, yet the SC gives 550 hp.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:35 PM
To be fair other aftermarket SW is in initial stage - I believe they are coming out w/ a "open" air box that should help more w/ their SW tuning.
It is interesting AM still did not totally nail the throttle response w/ this kit - it is better than stock but not the same as example the E46 M3 w/ sport button "on". Then again w/ the Sport button on it was a pain in the a## for normal driving - hence I switched it off in anything related to traffic! So AM, not having a button, probably had to find something in between - but could have done a little better IMHO. So not bad overall - just need a little quicker throttle response for the 4.3.
I need to drag race my wife w/ her Cayman S - the throttle response is quicker on her car (also seams better than a 997 for some reason). She may get me off the line and part of the gear but I think I'll have her into 2nd and afterwards! Boxster/Cayman are fantastic auto-X cars ... they could easily have another 100 HP ... then again the 997 would never be sold ...
I have also heard rumors of some aftermarket ring and pinion gear coming out soon. This was a nice little tweek on the old 944 turbos (951). Not sure what that will cost - and labor to install ...

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM
To be fair other aftermarket SW is in initial stage - I believe they are coming out w/ a "open" air box that should help more w/ their SW tuning.
It is interesting AM still did not totally nail the throttle response w/ this kit - it is better than stock but not the same as example the E46 M3 w/ sport button "on". Then again w/ the Sport button on it was a pain in the a## for normal driving - hence I switched it off in anything related to traffic! So AM, not having a button, probably had to find something in between - but could have done a little better IMHO. So not bad overall - just need a little quicker throttle response for the 4.3.
I need to drag race my wife w/ her Cayman S - the throttle response is quicker on her car (also seams better than a 997 for some reason). She may get me off the line and part of the gear but I think I'll have her into 2nd and afterwards! Boxster/Cayman are fantastic auto-X cars ... they could easily have another 100 HP ... then again the 997 would never be sold ...
I have also heard rumors of some aftermarket ring and pinion gear coming out soon. This was a nice little tweek on the old 944 turbos (951). Not sure what that will cost - and labor to install ...
I think the airbox will make a big difference. I like the gruppe M intake with the ram air type ports. I personally think it would make a noticeable difference in this car (20+ hp) because it seems to run out of breath, although some people on another board have disagreed with me. Of course, the engine has to be tuned to take advantage of that air. Those kinds of improvements are tough to dyno because you can't really reproduce the airflow, but you can definitely feel it when you drive it. On my 987 Boxster S, simply removing the air restrictor plate made the car feel much faster...and in the real world probably added 10+ hp. On this car, dual ram air intakes, dual cone filters, and a larger, straighter intake path should make a big difference, IMO.

As for the ring and pinion, I'd guess around $2-3K if it really comes out. I hope it does, because done right it should be good for 0.3-0.5 secs in the 1/4. The gearing on this car is pretty tall and if you geared it like the E46 M3 with the top of 2nd at around 64 mph, it would be a lot quicker. That in combination with some wider rear tires (295s) would allow for a stronger launch and should put this car in the mid 12s on a good run.

What's the redline with the new performance kit? I know the Prodrive software supposedly raises it 300rpms.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AM Factory/Dealer Power Upgrade Kit for 4.3 ltr