Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Squeak From Hatch

Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Squeak From Hatch

I have noticed as the weather has gotten colder here in Chicago that my trunk hatch has a squeak. I think it is coming from the weatherstripping or molding. Not sure the correct term. I have adjusted the rubber stops at the bottom of the hatch but it has not helped. Anyone else have this? I am trying to avoid going to the dealer if it's an easy fix. Wonder if the latch can be adjusted to tighten the hatch????

Thanks,
Adam

Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
You can check w/ dealer on tightening, I have not done this yet - another suggestion - back in my old 944 days we got the same thing in colder weather (ok that is relative in FL but it did happen!). Remember 944's with their big hatch ? Anyway we used a nice grade silicone lube (not glue!!), squirt it on your finger and run it over the rubber strip, all around the the rubber contact area that closes onto the metal (when the back hatch is closed/sealed all the way down). Took a few minutes lubing all the rubber but it seemed to work, after a few trials.
Now here is the caution - I am not sure if these are different compounds/grades/material of rubber (some jokes come to mind here) so you may want to check w/ dealer if they know if the silicone would "dissolve" the AM rubber (I doubt it but just want you to be aware). There were no issues w/ the 944, other than it might rub away after a period of time.
Anyway just a thought on what worked for me in the past ...

Also do not slam the AM hatch down when closing ... it will eventually cause 2 small wear marks in the paint from the 2 black pistons in the top of the hatch (above your head when open - contact to paint whnen closed). You can gently close the hatch, then push down after gentle contact is made, hatch will then lock shut.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Michael:

I have actually used the silicone (dielectric grease used for spark plugs) trick on a Corvette before. It worked well but it attracts a ton of dust and dirt! Funny, I had a 944 that did the same thing. It is certainly a good idea but hopefully the dealer can fix this or maybe tighten the latch somehow. I have played with the 2 black piston quite a bit and adjusted the rubber stops. I can't quite figure out if it is better to have the stops fully deployed or recessed. I have the 2 small wear marks in the paint and closing the trunk as you described is a good idea. Hopefully this is an easy fix at the dealer. This will be my first experience with them. I'll keep everyone posted on the cure in case anyone else has this issue.

Regards,
Adam