Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Where can I get a good deal on a 09 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I think I'll wait a couple of years and get a 600HP DBS or a RUF ... both are bound to be around that HP by then.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Hey guys. I'm looking at the AMs to purchase and/or spec in the next couple of months. I hope you'll forgive a couple of newbie questions:

Michael, What is the Power Pack? Is this an OEM option from AM? Also, are you experiencing any pre-ignition at all with the SC on your car?

Did any of you consider the DB9 vs. the Vantage? Is the DB9 too soft without the Sport Pack?

I went to visit Ray Catena AM sales group the other day since I purchased a number of cars from them. Is Kerbeck better? Haven't been there yet.

Thanks for the feedback...

Dave

Old 01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Dave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to beholdDave is a splendid one to behold
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread....

Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
FazTaz is on a distinguished road
Hey Dave no problem Hijack away. We've also purchased a half dozen cars from Catena so would like to stay with him, but only if they are willing to offer a good deal. One of the people I work with purchased an 08 DB9 from Catena and got a great deal. He doesn't drive that aggressively but is very happy with the purchase. It looks like some criticize the DB9 vert for being too soft but praise the Vantage roadster for being just as stiff as the coupe.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Hey Moogle which dealer/salesman did you use? Thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 09:53 AM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dave
Did any of you consider the DB9 vs. the Vantage? Is the DB9 too soft without the Sport Pack?
Dave
Dave - It's quite a different car, the DB9 is more of a Grand Touring car, where the Vantage is more responsive, aggressive and dare I say sportier car. I've only had one chance to drive the DB9 and knew tight away it wasn't the car for me

Here is one thread I found which might help:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ge-06-db9.html

There is also loads of good info on the AMOC forum to help you decide.
Any questions on the Vantage let us know, looks like there's quite a few owners here.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:33 PM
FazTaz,
I'm going to go to Catena as soon as the cold front moves through. I'll drive the Vantage and the DB9. I don't want a ragtop, since I'll be keeping the Boxster S and I love the lines of the coupe in both the Vantage form as well as the DB9 form.

I read the other thread. A lot of interesting opinions. It seems clear that if you aim is performance and carving the hills, then the Vantage crowd definitely subscribes to this paradigm. If you want to hear the V12 singing from the pipes and the pull of that mighty powerplant, then the DB9 crowd seems to subscribe to this.

I could see myself putting my wife in the car and cruising down to St. Michaels or Montauk. Perhaps I should don an ascot just so that I get it right.

I'll let you all know how it goes after the test drives. Thanks for letting me join the AM crowd.

Dave

Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM
lucky6600 is on a distinguished road
FazTaz,
I'm going to go to Catena as soon as the cold front moves through. I'll drive the Vantage and the DB9. I don't want a ragtop, since I'll be keeping the Boxster S and I love the lines of the coupe in both the Vantage form as well as the DB9 form.

I read the other thread. A lot of interesting opinions. It seems clear that if you aim is performance and carving the hills, then the Vantage crowd definitely subscribes to this paradigm. If you want to hear the V12 singing from the pipes and the pull of that mighty powerplant, then the DB9 crowd seems to subscribe to this.

I could see myself putting my wife in the car and cruising down to St. Michaels or Montauk. Perhaps I should don an ascot just so that I get it right.

I'll let you all know how it goes after the test drives. Thanks for letting me join the AM crowd.

Dave
Dave,
I am in the market for a V8 as well. However, I won't do anything until the temp comes back to be at least 30F. Pease let us know what kind of deal that they gave you.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
My 2 cents on the Vantage vs. DB9 issue is you need to try it for yourself. I found the Vantage not enough of a sports car b/c that's what it was trying to be. My Porsche Turbo did/does it better, albeit in a different way. The Vantage is beautiful to look at, but I found it's overall "sports" dynamic neither fish nor foul. The DB9 on the other hand offered things the Vantage/Turbo didn't: best look IMO, V12 sound/torque and softer ride. These are nice choices to have and while opinions vary, almost anyone would be happy having just one of these cars so good luck.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey Dave and Red Devil I complete agree with you.

I went with my father to Catena and we drove the new 09 911S and the 09 Vantage with sportshift. Dave my father’s first sports car was a Boxster S and he really loved the handling in the car. He used to say he wished it had more power and was more comfortable on long rides but loved the driver feedback, cornering characteristics, and brakes. His next car was a grand tourer, Maserati Spyder. The car was a boat. Heavy and not as refined in corners as the Porsche but the Ferrari supplied V8 was very sporty, and the cc shifer (F1 shifter) was superb. While he had the Maser he would complain on how the Porsche handled better.

I think for him the Aston is a good compromise. It’s not the fastest and best handling car, but its no dog by any means. During the test drive I took the Aston and one of the salesmen took the 997 S with PDK (my father isn’t as spirited of a driver as me =P). We pushed the cars pretty hard and I was able to keep with him during straight-line acceleration (he was always slightly ahead), and during tight cornering. The Porsche definitely had better tactile feedback, but you felt the opulence of the British interior in the Aston and that V8 sounded great. I think for what it is the Vantage is a great handling car. If you want it to compete with the Turbos, 430s, Gallardos, etc it just can’t. The power to weight ratio just isn’t there. The DB9 has the power of V12 but again it’s a GT and is more like a 575. I think the DBS is what the DB9 should be as far as handling characteristics. One of my colleagues has a DB9 which he got a great deal on from Catena and loves the car. His prior car was a SL500. He was looking more for comfort and exclusivity than handling. For him the DB9 was a perfect fit.

If you go to Catena ask for Geno at Porsche and Steve at Aston. They are great guys who really want you have the true experience when at their respective marquee. Tell them Mahmood sent you.

- Faisal

Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Faz
Thanks for the insight. I'm keeping the 3.8L Boxster S. It'll be my play car. Just from all of the insight I'm getting from everybody, I'm leaning towards the DB9. Not that I'm not willing to give the Vantage a try, but I'm looking for something a bit more civil...there I said it, dammit!. I want to be like in those promos for the DB9....sweeping turns in the mountains of some obscure countryside with a black tie and jacket on.....maybe on a jaunt to Monaco............naw who am I kidding. I just want to hear the roar of the v12.

I'm already working with Steve on this. Like my previous post, I'm just waiting for the snow to go away.

Dave

Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM
StuM is on a distinguished road
09 Vantage???

I too have been looking at the new 09 Vantage, plus comparing to the 911 turbo or 4S Porsches and Audi R8's. Currently have an '07 C4S Cab Porsche and 06 F430 spider.
I've come close to pulling the trigger, but really prefer a 6-spd car and they are tough to find in Texas. For me, the sports shift is just OK, but not my cup of tea.
Anyway, real question to the group is:
Are any of you who might be ready to buy or have an AM already nervous about the recently announced news about AM's self-described tough financial situation? (ie. may default or not meet banking commitments later this year. This, on top of the previously announced news about a possible deal to sell up to 20% of the company to other investors.)
I have a real concern about dropping over $100k on a car where the manufacturer may be in trouble and not around in the future.
Thoughts or comments????

Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Tell Steve Dr. Jim with the black DB9 coupe manula says hello. I would have preferrred the DBS, but not at an extra 100 grand. The DB9 manual with sports pack is plenty of "sports car". It is a better car than the 575, but no where the sports car the 599 is. I think it is a really good compromise and you can't beat it for looks and exclusivity. If your priority was tearing it up, then you'd be better off with an Cayman, M3 or 911.

Faz
Thanks for the insight. I'm keeping the 3.8L Boxster S. It'll be my play car. Just from all of the insight I'm getting from everybody, I'm leaning towards the DB9. Not that I'm not willing to give the Vantage a try, but I'm looking for something a bit more civil...there I said it, dammit!. I want to be like in those promos for the DB9....sweeping turns in the mountains of some obscure countryside with a black tie and jacket on.....maybe on a jaunt to Monaco............naw who am I kidding. I just want to hear the roar of the v12.

I'm already working with Steve on this. Like my previous post, I'm just waiting for the snow to go away.

Dave

Old 01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
StuM - I would have concern dropping money on a Chrysler/Ford/GM... AM moving to a new 20% private investor is better than a Gov bail out. Unfortunately I don't think anyone can predict what car companies will be around or merge in 5-10 years. Heck AM has always had to look for investors until Ford bought them. Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche production, sales and resale are way down too ... as I am sure you know w/ your current stable.
If you want a 6-speed might try AM of Tampa or the other 3 dealers we have here in FL.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
StuM is on a distinguished road
Cool Thanks

Thanks for your comments. Yet, I suspect I may wait and see how all of the auto troubles settle out. Whereas I recently bought a new Ford (F150 daily driver), it was only a $35k purchase and should have lots of parts and std equipment available, even if Ford stumbles. At worst I can easily continue the general M&R myself and can drive it into the ground without too much worry.
With Audi appearing in much better shape, I may go forward with the R8 for now and reconsider the AM later in the year, unless a really great deal comes along. I was just in Sarasota last week and wish I had run up to Tampa to have a look at the AM store.

The AM is, of course, much more costly though, with an already very small dealer network and unique parts supplies and fix-it know-how. Different issues to consider.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where can I get a good deal on a 09 Vantage