Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

'05 Vanquish S or '07/'08 DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 AM
almasi is on a distinguished road
Smile

Red Devil - The local AM/Ferrari/Maserati dealer is 5 minutes from my home. You raise a point that may be overlooked or implied in some other responses--i.e., maintenance. If the Vanquish does not fall under a warranty (original or extended), then it seems that I may be opening myself to excessively expensive maintenance costs, especially if something major occurs. It appears that your suggestion is to ditch the Vanquish if there isn't a warranty that can be put into effect. Your thoughts and suggestions please!

XXXAngelXXX - Thanks for the feedback. Seems as though we have similar "commutes". What are your comments to the earlier suggestions to only buy a DB9 if it has the sports pack and is a manual?

Thanks to you both (and others that are providing valuable input)

Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 AM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i agree on Sportspack and manual if its a fun car ONLY but if you use it every day in traffic its a headache - that's why i have gone for the Touch-Tronic option in the DBS - so i now got nearly the best of both worlds

Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 AM
PCH
PCH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red Devil
Depending upon when a Vanquish went into service, you might still catch the tail end of the original warranty and then could extend if bought from a dealer.
It's my understanding that even if the warranty has run out AM will sell you, (private or dealer sale) another factory warranty. This would be predicated on an inspection and that all scheduled maintenance has been completed and up to date on the car in question.

Last edited by PCH; 04-20-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
IF PCH is right about the warranty thing, then that would negate that issue but it also may be one of cost. I'd imagine without knowing for sure the Vanquish warranty would be more expensive that the DB9 one. A local friend who has/had EVERYTHING, current stable is Enzo, CGT, Bently FS, GT-R, Phantom, etc., had a beautiful Vanquish he got rid of quick because the transmission was disappointing. Unless you've driven a Vanquish and know you like it, and the same can be said for auto DB9, it's hard to say. For me, if something is for road enjoyment and not track use/best times, I'd ALWAYS select a manual if it's offered no matter how good the "auto" is. Let's face it, AM "auto" is not in the league of PDK, DSG, Ferrari systems and is really a true auto. That being said, there's nothing wrong with an auto if you like the way the car drives and responds. These "on-paper" comparisons of cars are mostly meaningless, except for potential buyer to think about things brought up and test/try for themselves.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 AM
rmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by XXXAngelXXX
i agree on Sportspack and manual if its a fun car ONLY but if you use it every day in traffic its a headache - that's why i have gone for the Touch-Tronic option in the DBS - so i now got nearly the best of both worlds
does the DBS come with some sort of DSG/SMG/F1 paddle shifting equivalent? Please don't tell me it's just a regular auto with tiptronic like the old 911s...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:30 AM
rmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enough
o and to the OP, I'd pick the vanquish

Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
its a regular autobox BUT with a hardcore software imitating a DSG gearbox...

Old 04-26-2009, 12:42 AM
achilles99 will become famous soon enough
I have an 03 Vanquish, and was expecting to hate the gearbox. However, I don't think it's that bad at all. Drive one before making a decision!