Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

'05 Vanquish S or '07/'08 DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 AM
almasi is on a distinguished road
Smile '05 Vanquish S or '07/'08 DB9

Was contemplating buying a Maserati Gran Turismo S but every time I visited the dealership, my eyes kept gravitating towards the pre-owned AMs parked on the lot. Looking at a pre-owned '05 Vanquish (love the aggressive lines) or the DB9--both with low mileage. Lines of Maserati seemed feminine (not a bad thing) but really liked the more muscular lines of the AM. But I need to get beyond the aesthetics and ask those in the group your opinions regarding reliability and maintenance costs of owning one or the other AM--especially when out of warranty. Not worried about resale value (i.e., keeping her in the garage more than driving her) because want to use for short daily drives and long cruising on weekends. Even thinking about doing some performance upgrades too (e.g., QuickSilver). Help!!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
If you're a fan of Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson has a new special out called " Thriller "... In it he debates these exact cars and gives his opinion on them. You should see if you can download it on the web and take a look for what it's worth. And to spoil it for you, he chooses the DB9.

Edit: Heres a link you can download Thriller from if you're curious: http://www.mytvblog.org/?p=1435

Last edited by iJeremy; 04-18-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the instant reply....I am going to the link right now!!!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
PCH
PCH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by almasi
Was contemplating buying a Maserati Gran Turismo S but every time I visited the dealership, my eyes kept gravitating towards the pre-owned AMs parked on the lot. Looking at a pre-owned '05 Vanquish (love the aggressive lines) or the DB9--both with low mileage. Lines of Maserati seemed feminine (not a bad thing) but really liked the more muscular lines of the AM. But I need to get beyond the aesthetics and ask those in the group your opinions regarding reliability and maintenance costs of owning one or the other AM--especially when out of warranty. Not worried about resale value (i.e., keeping her in the garage more than driving her) because want to use for short daily drives and long cruising on weekends. Even thinking about doing some performance upgrades too (e.g., QuickSilver). Help!!!!
Absolutely agree with you on the aesthetics. IMO the Vanquish S wins hands down over the DB9 and DBS however, handling characteristics and the F1 tranny in the Vanquish S are a bit antiquated in comparison. If you're not tracking the car or concerned about the fastest car at the 'ring' I say Vanquish S. And should you move in that direction don't purchase the AM without an extended warranty.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 AM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
go for the vanquish s if you are comparing it to a standard db9. what are the options on the db9?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Smile The options on a sample of the AMs available

Here are just some of the DB9 and Vanquish that are available. Thanks to all of you that have replied thus far. If you would, why are a few of you choosing the Vanquish over the DB9? With the warning that I should not make this purchase without a warranty (which I am glad to hear) is the implied message that I am looking towards some major reliability and maintenance issues?

Again thanks to all that have and will continue to provide wise advice based upon your knowledge and experiences.

DB9 Coupe ’08 – 4100 miles - $129,000
Air Conditioning, Climate Control, Power Steering, Power Door Locks, Power Passenger Seat, Driver Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Side Airbags, Keyless Entry, Security System, ABS Brakes, Traction Control, Dynamic Stability, Rear Defogger, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Interior Surface, Heated Driver Seat, Heated Passenger Seat, Power Driver Seat, Bucket Seats, Quad Bucket Seats, Rear Parking Aid, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Driver Air Bag, Side Air Bag, Driver Air Bag Navigation System

DB9 Coupe ’07 (manual) - 2100 miles - $107,000
ABS, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Radio, Bucket Seating, CD Player, Cruise Control, Driver-Side Airbag, Heated Seats, Leather Interior, **Low Mileage**, Navigation, Power Mirrors, Power Seats, Power Windows

DB9 Coupe ’08 – 4000 miles - $154,000
Custom interior (suede)

Vanquish ’04 (automanual) – 10,500 miles - $108,000
A/C: Front, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Steering, Remote Keyless Entry, Bucket Seats, Leather Interior, Power Seats, Airbag: Driver, Airbag: Passenger, Airbag: Side, Alarm, CD Player, Premium Sound, Power Windows, Tinted Glass, Sunroof/Moonroof.

Vanquish ’05 (manual) – 8900 miles - $128,000
Similar options to above

Vanquish ’05 (Sportshift) – 9500 miles - $143,000
Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Sport Package, Tilt Wheel, Remote Keyless Entry, Remote Trunk Release, Remote Fuel Door, Cruise Control, Steering Wheel-Leather Wrapped, Parking Assist, Tire-Pressure Monitoring System, Security System, AM/FM Stereo, CD Changer, Audiophile System, Tinted Glass, Trip Computer, Air Conditioning, Climate Control - Auto, Bucket Seats, Seat-Lumbar-Driver, Seat-Lumbar-Passenger, Floor Mats-Front, Leather Seats, Map Pockets, Mirrors-Heated Driver, Mirrors-Pwr Driver, Power Mirrors, Mirrors-Heated Passenger, Mirrors-Pwr Passenger, Mirror-Electrochromic In-Side Rearview, Dual Exhaust, Premium Wheels, Wheels-Aluminum, Spoiler, Suspension - Sport Tuned, Fog Lights, Headlights-Auto-Off, Headlights-Auto-On, Console, Cup Holders, Trip Odometer, Reading Lamps-Front, Air Bag - Driver, Air Bag - Passenger, Air Bag On/Off Switch - Passenger, Traction Control, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Front Disc Brakes, Brakes-Abs-4 Wheel, Anti-Lock Brakes, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, Rear Disc Brakes, Intermittent Wipers, Wipers-Rain Sensing, Wipers-Variable Speed Intermittent, Homelink, Window Locks, Differential-Locking Rear

Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM
No I am not going to race the car nor am I concerned about blasting past the M6s, corvettes, ferraris or porsches that are in the area. Prefer car for grand touring; however, all of this doesn't mean I want a car that underperforms either (can throw on some quick silvers I guess for some sound affects and maybe find a shop that can provide some turning to extract extra bhp).

Old 04-18-2009, 02:29 PM
PCH
PCH is on a distinguished road
No I am not going to race the car nor am I concerned about blasting past the M6s, corvettes, ferraris or porsches that are in the area. Prefer car for grand touring; however, all of this doesn't mean I want a car that underperforms either (can throw on some quick silvers I guess for some sound affects and maybe find a shop that can provide some turning to extract extra bhp).
I doubt you'll push any of these cares anywhere near their limits. Also, would only consider the '05/06 Vanquish S.

Last edited by PCH; 04-18-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:08 PM
lawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the roughlawin is a jewel in the rough
I would only consider a vanquish s as well. the only db9 i would consider in that list above a vanquish s is the db9 with the manual if it also came with the sport pack. i currently drive a db9 sports pack 6 speed manual and cannot praise the car enough. its ridiculously fun to drive, but also has all the comfort and luxury an aston should have. best of luck on your search, either way you cannot make a bad decision

Old 04-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. A question. If it is a choice between a DB9 w/ sport pack or vanquish s, what would be your counsel? I will check the dealer's inventory on Monday regarding the DB9 sport pack.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I'd say if you could find an S with manual conversion, that would rival a 6-speed DB9 sport pack. The Vanquish would have more power, but the 450 hp and monster torque in the DB9 is plenty. I do like the slightly more agressive body of the Vanquish and it was a $250K car not long ago.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 PM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
if its a daily driver: DB 9 more reliable ...

if not then no question: Vanquish S

i know what i talk about - i got a daily driven DBS

Old 04-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Exclamation Daily Drive

Daily drive probably means different things to different people. For me a daily drive is typically 20 minutes(one way) on the street to the office, not the typical corporate drive of 45 minutes(one way) or more of highway driving. Other than that, the longest daily drive is an occasional 40 minute (one way) highway drive. Does this change your recommendation?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:13 AM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
well my daily drive is 15 mins for the daily morning school run with my son

and perhaps i go visit some customers sometimes but not more far away than 20 mins

DB9 for you and buy the Vanq for the weekend

Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Daily drive probably means different things to different people. For me a daily drive is typically 20 minutes(one way) on the street to the office, not the typical corporate drive of 45 minutes(one way) or more of highway driving. Other than that, the longest daily drive is an occasional 40 minute (one way) highway drive. Does this change your recommendation?
05/06 Vanquish is still a modern car, so I wouldn't worry about your "commute". Now repairs/maint. is another story in that you are still under MF warranty in 07/08 DB9 and can extend. Depending upon when a Vanquish went into service, you might still catch the tail end of the original warranty and then could extend if bought from a dealer. IMO the Vanquish will be MUCH harder to pull off getting the right one. Also, how far is the nearest AM dealer to you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '05 Vanquish S or '07/'08 DB9