Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Which to choose??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
997ttt is on a distinguished road
My opinion (GT-S owner)

Ok, strange that there is no mention of the GT-S exhaust!
Oh my God....
Nothing sounds like a GT-S in the sports mode...
Chills run up and down my spine when I drive this car.
Already 2,500 miles and it still turns me on when I drive the car.
Nothing sounds like a Maserati GT-S.

But in all fairness, I have not driven a AM.

As far as looks? Not sure... They look similar but also in many ways different. Maserati has the sexy curves, the AM has the futuristic flat spacy look to me.

I like both. But I am sure, very sure that the Maserati's exhaust has the AM beat by a long shot.

And the interior? Come on... it is so luxurious and classy. I love it.
So much room for the back seats. Many of my passengers claim more room in the back compared to the front!!!

And it is a Maserati....
Sorry to say, but for the common folk out there, one up on name recognition.

So, what do you do for a living?

"I drive a Maserati".

If I could afford it, I would drive a Maserati, AM, Ferrari, and a Lamborghini.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:29 AM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Old 06-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 997ttt
Ok, strange that there is no mention of the GT-S exhaust!
Oh my God....
Nothing sounds like a GT-S in the sports mode...
Chills run up and down my spine when I drive this car.
Already 2,500 miles and it still turns me on when I drive the car.
Nothing sounds like a Maserati GT-S.

But in all fairness, I have not driven a AM.

As far as looks? Not sure... They look similar but also in many ways different. Maserati has the sexy curves, the AM has the futuristic flat spacy look to me.

I like both. But I am sure, very sure that the Maserati's exhaust has the AM beat by a long shot.

And the interior? Come on... it is so luxurious and classy. I love it.
So much room for the back seats. Many of my passengers claim more room in the back compared to the front!!!

And it is a Maserati....
Sorry to say, but for the common folk out there, one up on name recognition.

So, what do you do for a living?

"I drive a Maserati".

If I could afford it, I would drive a Maserati, AM, Ferrari, and a Lamborghini.
You make some good points, most notably exhaust and back seat. As demonstrated, A-M exhaust can be made quite good depending upon what your tastes are. Personally, I've always been a fan of the deep burble best examplified by a Mustang V-8 (modified). I do wish my DB9 had a better back seat also. But one-up on name recognition? Don't think so. You've got Joe Walsh and we've got James Bond. Excepting the Q-sedan, a Maserati has always been for the guy who really wants a Ferrari, but doesn't have it for some reason. I know they are different in many ways, with cost being a BIG one. Then there's a lack of a proper manual being available... Don't get me wrong as I think the GT(S) is a wonderfully-styled car and it might even drive great, but it compares to a Vantage and not a DB9.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:00 AM
997ttt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red Devil
You make some good points, most notably exhaust and back seat. As demonstrated, A-M exhaust can be made quite good depending upon what your tastes are. Personally, I've always been a fan of the deep burble best examplified by a Mustang V-8 (modified). I do wish my DB9 had a better back seat also. But one-up on name recognition? Don't think so. You've got Joe Walsh and we've got James Bond. Excepting the Q-sedan, a Maserati has always been for the guy who really wants a Ferrari, but doesn't have it for some reason. I know they are different in many ways, with cost being a BIG one. Then there's a lack of a proper manual being available... Don't get me wrong as I think the GT(S) is a wonderfully-styled car and it might even drive great, but it compares to a Vantage and not a DB9.
Oh oh oh....
I do agree, we are talking GT-S vs DB9
And maybe you are in a way right... Joe Walsh vs James Bond.
Although, I did consider a Ferrari. But, in the market of 4 seater sport cars?
Tell me 100k-150k.
What is there?
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (Ferrari's 4 seater sports car)
-and side by side, GT-S vs 612? body styling and more than twice the price?

Forgive me for asking, I could check myself, but is the DB9 a 4 seater?
If it is, then no doubt this car does have the edge (ok, more than an edge).

Attached Images  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 997ttt
Oh oh oh....
I do agree, we are talking GT-S vs DB9
And maybe you are in a way right... Joe Walsh vs James Bond.
Although, I did consider a Ferrari. But, in the market of 4 seater sport cars?
Tell me 100k-150k.
What is there?
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti (Ferrari's 4 seater sports car)
-and side by side, GT-S vs 612? body styling and more than twice the price?

Forgive me for asking, I could check myself, but is the DB9 a 4 seater?
If it is, then no doubt this car does have the edge (ok, more than an edge).
DB9 has 4 seats but the back isn't good at all. My 911 Turbo was better.
Not many choices in 4-seat category I'd agree. If OP really needs use of back, forget the DB9. 612 is ugly IMO. The 599 seems big enough for some small seats but I don't know if it has any and it's pretty pricey. Maser certainly offers style, exclusiveness and other things and a fairly decent price, so I can easily see where it fits in.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Sandpointe is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red Devil

You see... These are the reasons I am having such a difficult time choosing one. I don't really NEED a back seat. 95% of my driving is alone. I have always been an AM fan.

RD,

Why do you say the GT(S) compared to the Vantage, and not the DBD? I know the obvious reason is cost. But as far as being a GT, size, etc I think it is closer to the DB9. The V12 is one too, but aren't the performance ratings pretty close? I am still struggling pretty hard to make a choice. For me a Ferrari isn't in the running. Maybe some Maser owner are wanna be Ferrari guys, but not me. I love the 599, but won't, well... can't pay that much. Plus I'd like to drive whatever I get as much as possible.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by Sandpointe
You see... These are the reasons I am having such a difficult time choosing one. I don't really NEED a back seat. 95% of my driving is alone. I have always been an AM fan.

RD,

Why do you say the GT(S) compared to the Vantage, and not the DBD? I know the obvious reason is cost. But as far as being a GT, size, etc I think it is closer to the DB9. The V12 is one too, but aren't the performance ratings pretty close? I am still struggling pretty hard to make a choice. For me a Ferrari isn't in the running. Maybe some Maser owner are wanna be Ferrari guys, but not me. I love the 599, but won't, well... can't pay that much. Plus I'd like to drive whatever I get as much as possible.
Price is the most obvious reason, but as a physical entity it does compare more to the DB9 by virtue of the rear seats. I passed one yesterday and it is handsome, but not, IMO, the equal of a DB9 looks-wise (what is?). The 599 is in another league, being supercar fast but also possible to DD. The 612 is big and ugly IMO and I wouldn't buy one at half-off. I do think you might consider a 2005/06 430 unless you just don't want a Ferrari or absolutely need rear seats. These are great drives and are a "relative" bargain from where they once were.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 AM
PitbullSL500 is on a distinguished road
Get a low mileage 2005-2006 F430 for around $130-150K and drive it everyday. After 50-60K miles it will still be worth more then the GTS. I love my Vantage and think it is the best looking AM made and it is a sports car versus a GT car.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:52 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Ferrari 456 is cheap

Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by PitbullSL500
Get a low mileage 2005-2006 F430 for around $130-150K and drive it everyday. After 50-60K miles it will still be worth more then the GTS. I love my Vantage and think it is the best looking AM made and it is a sports car versus a GT car.

I love the F430 but would prefer something that draws a little less attention. Plus I don't think I'd ever want to drive one everyday.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
c70
c70 is on a distinguished road
The aston is the car between those two. It has the drive and the looks.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
I drove all three back to back at the dealer before picking the Vantage. The DB9 (with various sports optons, not sure which) felt the most powerful but only by a small amount (far less than I expected given its HP rating), but also felt the heaviest and the most "under-tired" like it really needed bigger rubber.
The Maser felt bigger but lighter (more responsive_ but less pwoerful (because it is, I suppose). Its interior was very well finished and the leather was the softer than in the other two -- I really wonder if it would be as durable if driven every day.
The Vantage felt torquier than the Maser but no more powerful (but it felt as powerful although I've seen some road tests that say it is a bit slower in a straight line). It was by far more sporting than the other two: frankly I was surprised at how linear and balanced it was in taking corners and in how fast it responded. I expected something similar to the feel of the DB9 but it was much quicker and lighter feeling even though it isn't much lighter.
So it quickly came down to the two AMs. Since I like smaller cars, saw no value to the back seat in the DB9, and thought the cost difference wasn't worth it to get four more cylinders I took the Vantage. I drive mine every day except when it is really stormy -- I have a Lincoln that bad weather, which, strangely, cost just about exactly what I saved by not taking the DB9.
I have no idea about the durability of all in day to day driving. As I said I thought the Maser's interior was great, but wondered about how the upholstery would wear. I expect the Vantage will be very durable and have slightly less expensive maintenance than the other two, but I've had it too short a time to know . . .

Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lee Willis
I drove all three back to back at the dealer before picking the Vantage. The DB9 (with various sports optons, not sure which) felt the most powerful but only by a small amount (far less than I expected given its HP rating), but also felt the heaviest and the most "under-tired" like it really needed bigger rubber.
The Maser felt bigger but lighter (more responsive_ but less pwoerful (because it is, I suppose). Its interior was very well finished and the leather was the softer than in the other two -- I really wonder if it would be as durable if driven every day.
The Vantage felt torquier than the Maser but no more powerful (but it felt as powerful although I've seen some road tests that say it is a bit slower in a straight line). It was by far more sporting than the other two: frankly I was surprised at how linear and balanced it was in taking corners and in how fast it responded. I expected something similar to the feel of the DB9 but it was much quicker and lighter feeling even though it isn't much lighter.

So it quickly came down to the two AMs. Since I like smaller cars, saw no value to the back seat in the DB9, and thought the cost difference wasn't worth it to get four more cylinders I took the Vantage. I drive mine every day except when it is really stormy -- I have a Lincoln that bad weather, which, strangely, cost just about exactly what I saved by not taking the DB9.
I have no idea about the durability of all in day to day driving. As I said I thought the Maser's interior was great, but wondered about how the upholstery would wear. I expect the Vantage will be very durable and have slightly less expensive maintenance than the other two, but I've had it too short a time to know . . .

Lee,

Thanks for the very elaborate answer. I don't plan to track the car. I want to me fun to drive but I am pretty sure the handling won't make or break my decision... unless one handles VERY badly. I haven't read any reviews that suggest that way.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by Sandpointe
Lee,

Thanks for the very elaborate answer. I don't plan to track the car. I want to me fun to drive but I am pretty sure the handling won't make or break my decision... unless one handles VERY badly. I haven't read any reviews that suggest that way.
Interesting. When I drove the Vantage and DB9 back to back, the Vantage didn't seem like enough car. I know that's not very descriptive, but I found it lacking power and torque. It was more sporting than the DB9, granted mine is a manual & sports pack equipped, but just barely. For me the DB9 was much more car in terms of engine, looks (subjective as both are great) and exclusivity. Thankfully for those of us that like cars, there's plenty of choices and plenty of good ones. We can go back and forth forever on their merits but the bottom line is the buyer has to see/try for themselves and decide what's important to them.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, you are talking about three cars any one of which handles better than 99.99% of cars on the road and better than 90% of all sports cars. I was trading an '04 Carrera at the time and I was really shcoked at how much better the Vantage handled that the car that is often regarded as just about perfect in the twisties.

For me, the thing about handling is that you can enjoy it all the time. There is no road or situation in my daily driving where the difference in acceleration between these three cars would be at all important (all three have more than enough) and differences in top speed are completely irrelevant. But crisp handling and responsiveness is something I feel every time I move the wheel or go into a corner or on-ramp. That, and lots of low end torque, are what make the driving experience really good for me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which to choose??