Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Which to choose??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Sandpointe is on a distinguished road
Which to choose??

Hey guys,

I have been lurking around on 6speeed for quite a long time. I actually had a long in way back when but I can't seem to remember what it was. I covet your help.

I will be acquiring a new "GT" in the next couple of weeks. I THINK I have narrowed it down to two options. So here goes...

2009 Grand Turismo S or 2009 AM DB9...

I will probably drive this car 3-4 days a week. My commute is about 10 minutes each way to the office, and 5 mins to the gym. Anything else can be handled by the SUV. So here is my list of questions... Feel free to elaborate til your hearts content. If there is any other info that you'd like to add please do.

1. Which of the two would be a more reliable "almost" daily driver?
2. Can the Maser really be driven every day?
3. Which would YOU choose? I will be posting this in the Maser section as well. Unbiased opinions are preferred... if possible.
4. Does anyone currently drive there's 3+ days a week? If so please give me your impressions.

I think that is it. Please add any helpful information. I am sure some will say drive both and decide. I will be doing that a few times before a decision is made. I am asking these questions to determine which would fit my "need" more.

Thanks all.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
I was considering both not that long ago. I've been an admirer of A-M for 10+ years and after driving it I decided NOT to even go see the Maser.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Red Devil
I was considering both not that long ago. I've been an admirer of A-M for 10+ years and after driving it I decided NOT to even go see the Maser.

RD,

Thanks for the response. I have been gawking after AM's for quite some time as well. It was really a done deal until this weekend when I was online looking at AM's and happened to see a GT-S. I've loved the lines since the first day that I saw it but didn't really consider it in the running. I was really debating between a DB9 or Vantage. I started watching videos and reviews on the GT-S and fell in love with it. I had read previously that the GT was a little under powered. But I am told that the "S" model fixes that.

Do you drive yours everyday?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:28 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i love the Maser GT, it's gorgeous inside and out... but like Red Devil, i've been an AM fan for much longer. honestly, the GT is the first Maserati i've really cared for and really wanted. i thing the DB9 is amazing but i feel a lot more comfortable in smaller cars, so i'm planning to get a Vantage. besides the styling, a drove one not too long ago and now i'm obsessed with the thing.

i won't be driving it every day when i get it, but my AM won't be a garage queen by any means. i'll drive it at least a couple days a week. just to support that, my current daily is an '05 STi. it's odd to say it, but the Vantage was much easier to drive than my STi... the Suby is very difficult to drive smoothly if you aren't used to it - i've even tested that on friends and it's way more obvoius when it's someone driving that hasn't driven one before. the AM, on the other hand, was a piece of cake to get into and drive smooth and easy or drive with a wicked grin and a symphony of cylinders in the air. the only thing i had to note was the pedals being a bit close together, but i never once had to think about it as soon as i started driving even though i was wearing wide-sole shoes. the STi vs Vantage comparison is just to illustrate how easy it'd be to drive the Vantage every day.

but i can't say anything for the GT, i haven't driven one yet. sorry i can't compare the DB9, though.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reply Telum

Originally Posted by telum01
i love the Maser GT, it's gorgeous inside and out... but like Red Devil, i've been an AM fan for much longer. honestly, the GT is the first Maserati i've really cared for and really wanted. i thing the DB9 is amazing but i feel a lot more comfortable in smaller cars, so i'm planning to get a Vantage. besides the styling, a drove one not too long ago and now i'm obsessed with the thing.

i won't be driving it every day when i get it, but my AM won't be a garage queen by any means. i'll drive it at least a couple days a week. just to support that, my current daily is an '05 STi. it's odd to say it, but the Vantage was much easier to drive than my STi... the Suby is very difficult to drive smoothly if you aren't used to it - i've even tested that on friends and it's way more obvoius when it's someone driving that hasn't driven one before. the AM, on the other hand, was a piece of cake to get into and drive smooth and easy or drive with a wicked grin and a symphony of cylinders in the air. the only thing i had to note was the pedals being a bit close together, but i never once had to think about it as soon as i started driving even though i was wearing wide-sole shoes. the STi vs Vantage comparison is just to illustrate how easy it'd be to drive the Vantage every day.

but i can't say anything for the GT, i haven't driven one yet. sorry i can't compare the DB9, though.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
I recently test drove a bunch of cars, including the GTS and Vantage (I didn't drive the DB9 because it was out of my price range).

There's a definite difference in feel between the two. Not really good vs bad but just a different feel. The Vantage has a performance car feel while the GTS is more of a luxury coupe feel, very similar to that of the Jaguar XK. The big difference between the GTS and XKR was that the rear seats in the GTS are actually usable, although you give up a lot of your trunk space to get it. The XKR is quite similiar to the DB9 in that case, worthless rear seats. The 2009 XKR did seem to be a little quicker than the GTS (the 2010 version should be a lot quicker).

I went with the Vantage because I perfered the performance car feel, but both the GTS and XKR were very, very nice. You really need to test drive them for yourself to see what you like. You will, however, want to drive any of them much more than a 10 minute commute 3-4 days a week. I'm driving the Vantage every day, but since I've only had it for 2 weeks I can't really tell you how it will do in the long run.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
shashi30004 has a spectacular aura aboutshashi30004 has a spectacular aura about
Maserati GT Versus AM DBS

I had the Maserati GT - Loved the exterior. Couldn't stand the interior. Sold the car in less than 6 mons. I personally felt that Maserati does not know how to make interiors. Had to take the car 4 times to get different stuff fixed in as well.

Just bought the AM DBS. There is not a car in this class of cars that has such fine interior details.

Hope that helps.

Best
Shashi

Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 AM
XXXAngelXXX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
+1

Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Sandpointe
RD,

Thanks for the response. I have been gawking after AM's for quite some time as well. It was really a done deal until this weekend when I was online looking at AM's and happened to see a GT-S. I've loved the lines since the first day that I saw it but didn't really consider it in the running. I was really debating between a DB9 or Vantage. I started watching videos and reviews on the GT-S and fell in love with it. I had read previously that the GT was a little under powered. But I am told that the "S" model fixes that.

Do you drive yours everyday?
I don't drive mine daily, but it can be easily. Very easy to live with, but so too would the GT-S. They are similar but different enough that once you see them up close, inside and out and then drive each I think your decision will be made for you. G/L

Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by shashi30004
I had the Maserati GT - Loved the exterior. Couldn't stand the interior. Sold the car in less than 6 mons. I personally felt that Maserati does not know how to make interiors. Had to take the car 4 times to get different stuff fixed in as well.

Just bought the AM DBS. There is not a car in this class of cars that has such fine interior details.

Hope that helps.

Best
Shashi

Shashi,

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that the interior wasn't user friendly? Or did it actually break or malfunction? That is Maser's m.o. But I read recently that they "got it right" on the GT. How about the overall driving experience?

Old 06-16-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't drive mine daily, but it can be easily. Very easy to live with, but so too would the GT-S. They are similar but different enough that once you see them up close, inside and out and then drive each I think your decision will be made for you. G/L
I have seen both up close but I haven't driven the GT or GT-S. I have only driven a '05 DB9 so I really have to get out there this weekend and try to get some test drives in.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I have seen both up close but I haven't driven the GT or GT-S. I have only driven a '05 DB9 so I really have to get out there this weekend and try to get some test drives in.
Probably not a "fair" fight if it's a 2005 DB9 vs. a GT-S. I think the "sports pack" started in 07 for the DB9. I don't think dollars will be equivalent GT-S either since it's new. You can probably get into an 07 or 08 DB for GT-S money. I think 1 or 2 year-old GT's are sub 100K cars easy. I guess you are planning on an auto and not manual (not sure if GT-S has one as an option or ?) Manual DB9's are not that common either.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Probably not a "fair" fight if it's a 2005 DB9 vs. a GT-S. I think the "sports pack" started in 07 for the DB9. I don't think dollars will be equivalent GT-S either since it's new. You can probably get into an 07 or 08 DB for GT-S money. I think 1 or 2 year-old GT's are sub 100K cars easy. I guess you are planning on an auto and not manual (not sure if GT-S has one as an option or ?) Manual DB9's are not that common either.

I would definately prefer the "sports pack". There a lot of things going into the decision making process. '08-new DB9 with "sport pack" for sure. If Maser, then I am not sure with transmision. I don't want a fully automatic "fun" car. I am concerned about the maserati automated f1 because of the nightmares I heard about on some of the other models. I am also concerned about the value dropping like an anchor. It's not a big concern, but it is something to consider. Lastly, I am concerned about getting a "new" model before the bugs have been worked out. But the GT-S is so beautiful... Love the look of the car.

Decisions, decisions.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 AM
I would definately prefer the "sports pack". There a lot of things going into the decision making process. '08-new DB9 with "sport pack" for sure. If Maser, then I am not sure with transmision. I don't want a fully automatic "fun" car. I am concerned about the maserati automated f1 because of the nightmares I heard about on some of the other models. I am also concerned about the value dropping like an anchor. It's not a big concern, but it is something to consider. Lastly, I am concerned about getting a "new" model before the bugs have been worked out. But the GT-S is so beautiful... Love the look of the car.

Decisions, decisions.
A lot of the money will be out of 2007 DB9 with sports pack. None of it on the GT-S and hopefully they have "improved" the transmission. Even though many manumatics are awesome, I personally prefer to do my own shifting b/c I'm not looking to shave tenths of my drive-time to Blockbuster. Enjoy the hunt b/c that is nearly as much fun as getting something.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
[quote Even though many manumatics are awesome, I personally prefer to do my own shifting b/c I'm not looking to shave tenths of my drive-time to Blockbuster. Enjoy the hunt b/c that is nearly as much fun as getting something.

Yeah, I can't lose tenths on my trek to the gym either. That would not be acceptable.

I'm looking forward to test driving. I have some issues with the fact that I look about 25, when in fact, I am 35. In all but one situation that is something I love and will try to enjoy until it runs out. But in this case dealers don't usually take me seriously. I have been through it quite a few times.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which to choose??