Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Finally Posting My Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I must be missing something. If someone asked me which cat was more restrictive, it would be pretty obvious to me that the one on the left is, having significantly less volume than the one on the right.

Do you have flow test numbers to back up your claim?
The volume inside the catalytic converter is filled with substrate that restricts flow. The smaller the volume, the less restriction. The rest of the high-flow cat is simply straight through tubing that allows the gases to pass.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 PM
JeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant future
You are correct about the ECU from RSC. The factory upgrade is about 20 hp, mostly due to the revised intake. The RSC ECU upgrade is about 30 -35 hp over stock; throw in the tubi exhaust for about another 5 -8hp. I really do not know how much gain I have with the addition of the factory upgrade N400 intake. Hershel or Stewart has dyno charts that they can post.

Thanks to all for the positive comments. From a beautiful car with fair performance, to a great car with quick performance. Next up the cats.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by JeffRB
You are correct about the ECU from RSC. The factory upgrade is about 20 hp, mostly due to the revised intake. The RSC ECU upgrade is about 30 -35 hp over stock; throw in the tubi exhaust for about another 5 -8hp. I really do not know how much gain I have with the addition of the factory upgrade N400 intake. Hershel or Stewart has dyno charts that they can post.

Thanks to all for the positive comments. From a beautiful car with fair performance, to a great car with quick performance. Next up the cats.
Don't forget the intake side. The stock paper filters are pretty restrictive and there is a K&N part that fits the car...supposedly good for at least 8 hp.

I'm also looking at ITG filters because that's what they use in the GT4. The ITG filters don't fit in the stock airboxes, so I'm seeing if I can get the GT4 airboxes as well.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
JeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant future
Has anyone installed the 200 cell cats. If so:

Are they lighter?
How much more noise out the exhaust (I have tubi stage I)?
Have you ever had the engine warning light come one?
Can anyone post horsepower gains?

thanks, Jeff

Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
panbo is on a distinguished road
absolute beauty...

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 AM
prideandufcfan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Congratulations !

I like your style ! car came out looking fantastic! I would like to get some lighter wheels but I personally love the look of the stock ones. I have spacers installed on the rear and they look great. Question how do you like the H&R springs? and do you know if any of the TCU upgrades get rid of the crawl feature? Also do you plan to do the flywheel mod? That I heard makes the car rev a lil faster. Enjoy !!!!!!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
JeffRB - I posted some info on 200 cell cats on other thread ...

Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
SupercarInc is on a distinguished road
Wow the OE cat is huge! A good friend of mine has a Vantage and I know the guys at RSC very well and am trying to convince him to do the power kit. It really needs another 50-100hp.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 PM
ollie has a spectacular aura aboutollie has a spectacular aura aboutollie has a spectacular aura about
love it! those side skirts are amazing!

Old 08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
The volume inside the catalytic converter is filled with substrate that restricts flow. The smaller the volume, the less restriction. The rest of the high-flow cat is simply straight through tubing that allows the gases to pass.
Spot on. The crucial point is that the entire OE cat is full of restrictive material, whereas the RSC cat on the left obviously contains much less. The diameter is not entirely relevant given that a smaller straight through pipe would actually be less restrictive than either of these cats. Having a wide pipe doesn't necessarily produce the most power. If you removed the exhaust & manifolds from an engine altogether it would actually make less power. The smaller the diameter of the exhaust system, the higher the exhaust gas velocity has to be to pass through it at a given engine speed. Because these gases have momentum they are actually instrumental in drawing air out of the engine post combustion thereby increasing it's power output. Go too small and you run into problems with air pressure becoming too high and the gases backing up and almost beginning to behave like a solid (this is where an expert in fluid dynamics is welcome to step in and explain why exhaust gases are normally almost behaving like a liquid etc. etc.) So the diameter of the catalyst exists in order to provide space for the substrate but in fact the sooner the diameter is decreased the better this is for the exhaust gas velocity.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:38 PM
More mods today

Thanks to Hershel expediting shipment of my new exhast, my RSC performance mods are pretty much complete. Today the 4.5 baffle exhaust was installed, to compliment the RSC ECU and RSC 200 cell cats.

All I can say is OMG (Michael you were right). The car sounds fantastic and is much quicker than before (and I have the N400 factory kit as the baseline). You guys at RSC said that the 200 cats would add about 20 hp. I wasn't sure, but once installed I became a true believer.

I drove a new 2009 Vantage, and my RSC'07 is appreciably quicker.

I thought that my former Tubi exhaust sounded good (and it did). But the RSC setup blows it a way, and is quite liveable.

Thanks Hershel, you guys make owning an Aston Martin a great experience.

Jeff

Old 08-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
I think this explains better than anything:

OE Cats:

RSC Cats:

Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Good pictures Stuart - I try to explain the difference - "you can see through the 200 cells" - your pictures show the point in less than a 1000 words.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Former Vendor
HZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to beholdHZ@RSC is a splendid one to behold
its our pleasure Jeff.. enjoy it and drive it.. have a good time in Monterey this weekend

Old 08-14-2009, 02:00 PM
DR REKLESS is a name known to allDR REKLESS is a name known to allDR REKLESS is a name known to allDR REKLESS is a name known to allDR REKLESS is a name known to allDR REKLESS is a name known to all
very tastefully done I love it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally Posting My Vantage