Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tires for V8 vantage?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Holson is on a distinguished road
Tires for V8 vantage?

I think my V8 vantage needs new tires, but looking at tire rack the only two choices are available: the yokohama S drive and bridgestone re050.

Has anyone tried going with 245/40/19s for the front tires? They are only .4" taller and .2" wider...

Because that opens up the selection. There's the Michelin PS2, the new P zero, etc

Thank you

Last edited by Holson; 09-27-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:55 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely go to a 245 in the front (you are crazy if you don't because of the limited choices in 235, as you point out). And use a 285 in the back if you can (a 275 is OK, but if you can find a matching 285 in the tire model of your choice you're better off).

Old 09-28-2009, 12:52 PM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought a set of OEM Pirelli Corsa's from the dealer for about the same a tire rack was charging for the non AM specific versions.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by stearnsn
I just bought a set of OEM Pirelli Corsa's from the dealer for about the same a tire rack was charging for the non AM specific versions.
what size Pirelli Corsas did you get?

I don't see OEM size pirellis on tire rack - are these for the 19s or 18s?

Thanks

Old 10-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Mine are 19's. I don't recall the size.

My dealer sent me this, it might help.

The following information has been supplied by our Vehicle Dynamics Engineering Team and clearly explains the advantages of using genuine AML tyres.

‘The recommended tyre fitments for Aston Martin vehicles are the result of a significant amount of testing and development. As a result of this all of our tyres are unique in construction and compound and optimised for all aspects of road performance on the vehicle. These unique specifications are marked by the inclusion of Aston Martin unique identifiers on the tyre sidewalls (AM9 for DB9/V8 19” Bridgestone tyres, AM8 for V8 18” and AM/L for the Yokohama tyres for Vanquish).

During development the tyre performance is tuned in unison with the chassis to optimise the balance of the vehicle in steady state and extreme manoeuvres, give excellent steering feel and response, a balanced ride response, have an optimal compromise between wet and dry grip and, at the limits of adhesion, to be predictable and give excellent feedback to the driver. At the same time the NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) characteristics of the tyres are considered; (airborne) pattern noise, cavity noise, rumble, impact harshness and steering corruption.

Aftermarket tyres by comparison will be further compromised in their performance by being tuned to a range of vehicles. A tyre offered in the aftermarket must be tuned to give safe, predictable handling on a wide range of vehicles that might use a particular size of tyre. As a result aftermarket tyres are likely to be less responsive, may have different dry/wet characteristics, may have a poor ride balance and specific NVH issues.

Compounding this is the fact that our product range has different size front and rear tyres. Fitting aftermarket tyres would mean mixing specifications of aftermarket tyre and thereby altering the handling balance and ride attributes of the vehicle’

I hope this clarifies the situation and the clear benefits in owners fitting genuine tyres to their cars to protect handling and ride characteristics as well as high speed safety and stability.

The unique nature of genuine Aston Martin tyres means that they are more expensive than an aftermarket equivalent, however we constantly benchmark our tyre prices to remain as competitive as possible.

Regards

Old 10-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
AstonAficionado will become famous soon enough
Am I reading this right? Aston doesn't want us installing "aftermarket" tires on the cars? Do they also sell special AM air to put into those tires and special AM water to put into the radiator? This is a little much IMO.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by AstonAficionado
Am I reading this right? Aston doesn't want us installing "aftermarket" tires on the cars? Do they also sell special AM air to put into those tires and special AM water to put into the radiator? This is a little much IMO.
british air

i think it's gonna be 245/40/19 (F) and 285/35/19 (R) - I'm torn between the cheap Kumho Ecsta SPTs or the MIchelin PS2s. The Kumhos are 1/2 the price of the Michelins.

I have had the kumhos on a mustang before and they were great - but the snob in me isnt sure about kumhos on an aston martin

Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Give me a call, I'd like to dig a little deeper with you.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I paid $493.99 each for the fronts and the rears were $556.88 each.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
Holson, there is nothing wrong with runing Kumho SPTs on your Aston. Nobody will get down on their knees and read what kind of tires you running on the V8V. They will be checking out the sexy curves and the interior... I ran Kumho SPTs on my M3 for 4 years... snow, rain and shine. And guess what I will be running on the Aston when the Bridgestones are used up? 245/285 Kumho SPTs for half the price!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
This from Tirerack's webpage:

Kumho Ecsta SPT Size: 245/40-19 Price: $167.00 each
Kumho Ecsta SPT Size: 285/35-19 Price: $188.00 each

Anybody hears the cheeching !!!!?????

Last edited by SonicKrack; 10-02-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
Anybody go wider with wider 19" rims? and did they have to modify anything else

Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM
P-Gunna is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zambono
Anybody go wider with wider 19" rims? and did they have to modify anything else
I have 20x9 with a 42 offset up front and a 20x10.5 with a 49 offset on the rear and I am running some nitto invos 245/35/20 up front and 285/30/20 in the rear.

I haven't read of anyone using invos on an aston but almost all rthe reviews that have i read were positive, plus nittos have always been good to me even on my first honda accord.

Last edited by P-Gunna; 12-17-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
So, you managed to put all that xtra width outboard? The 1/2" at the front doesn't surprise me, but a full inch outboard at the rear? And no rubbing?

Huh...

Old 12-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
So, you managed to put all that xtra width outboard? The 1/2" at the front doesn't surprise me, but a full inch outboard at the rear? And no rubbing?

Huh...
Stock V12 Vantage rears are 19x11 with no modifications to the wheel well AFAIK. That's the size I went with. You can fit up to 19x11.5 and maybe even more. I want to say HRE told me they had test fitted up to 19x12 without any problems. Considering how wide the rear fenders are, I'm not surprised.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires for V8 vantage?