Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Vantage Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 PM
AlekseyKhomenko is on a distinguished road
New Vantage Owner Questions

Hello,
I purchased a new vantage 2 months ago(sport shift) and I'm not sure if this is normal that after the full stop when I'm making a turn it feels like a car has a hard time to switch to second gear. It roars without switching for too long. Any suggestions guys? Both L or R turns.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Are you shifting yourself or do you have it in automatic mode?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Automatic (D)

Old 06-22-2010, 04:52 PM
bugattitech is on a distinguished road
Does not seem normal. Try driving in manual sport mode for a while and the transmission will learn your drive style. If you are taking off agressivly and then leveling out on throttle the car doesnt know if you want to keep driving hard so it stays in a low gear in case you want to continue to be aggressive.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Thank you, but could you please tell me more about manual sport mode?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 PM
bugattitech is on a distinguished road
Use the paddles more dont use automatic mode. I have never been a fan of automomatic mode. You have much more control in manual mode. The car is hanging up in gear because it doesnt know what you want to do. Are you taking off fast or are you gradually accellerating

Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Yes, I have seen that in automatic mode. They did a software update to my car ('09) which improved both the automatic and manual shifting and eliminated the random stall that would occur once every couple of months. However, I haven't driven too much in automatic mode since the update, so I don't know how many of those kind of quirks are still there, but it was definitely better than it was.

The other thing I noticed after the update was that there was a bigger difference between "comfort" mode and normal mode.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:00 AM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
I just recently purchased one as well and I’ve discovered that automatic mode is absolute garbage. The car attempts to assume what you want to do and never quite guesses correctly – resulting in a miserable ride. Stick to sport shift as often as possible imo.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks,
more tips on sport shift??

Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Other than making sure its got up-to-date software, its really just about learning how to work with it. Once your brain gets in sync with its brain, it works pretty well.

Of course, there is an after-market upgrade for its brain. For the driver's brain, not so much available.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AlekseyKhomenko
Thanks,
more tips on sport shift??
We can re-map it for you! Lots of owners on this board have had the RSC SS upgrade done and so far only very positive impressions.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks,
I'm starting to like sport shift. Fun.
Thanks again.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Former Vendor
D2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to allD2FORGED is a name known to all
Another thing about these tranny's is they are adaptive. If you drive a little more deliberate with your inputs (not "lagging" on the gas, etc) it will get snappier.

Also auto mode is a big no no for these single clutch semi auto manuals.

Enjoy your car!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 PM
MFC997 is on a distinguished road
The only time I use auto mode is on my way in to work so I can eat my donut ... otherwise stick to the paddles dude ...