Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

vantage prices soft?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
Another factor is dealer access. Every town in the US has an Audi or Nissan dealership, but very few have AM dealerships. People aren't likely to buy an expensive car if they aren't near a dealership, and especially not if they haven seen or driven one. The first time I ever saw a Vantage in person I was wowed and the first time I ever drove one I was sold. That won't happen if you're just looking at pics on the internet.
Hey Tahoe, what's the ride like on those H&R's? I like the drop, but don't want to sacrifice handling. The sport package, if I'm not mistaken, actually RAISES the suspension, so I was worried that the H&R wouldn't improve handling with the stock dampers. I'm assuming you have stock (non-sports pckg) damper? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
It's firm but not uncomfortable. Overall handling is much improved over stock without much sacrifice. No way I'd go back to stock. The only downside is having to watch out not to scrape the front end.

I hadn't heard that about the sport pack but I can see that being true. The stock shocks are not very forgiving, so giving them more travel with a firmer spring rate would be a good way to go for a stock car.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Allen121 is on a distinguished road
IMO, I believe these are the factors for the "soft" prices for the MY2006-2008 V8V:
  1. Access to an AM dealer like Tahoe mentioned. I've spoken to a couple of potential buyers that were hesitant to pull the trigger because the nearest dealer was hundreds of miles away and none of the indy shops nearby were familiar with AMs. (weighting: low)
  2. The MY2009 included some pretty significant upgrades such as the additional 40hp, upgraded clutch/flywheel, Sports Pack, upgraded center console, etc. I admit that I was originally looking for a 2009 because of those reasons, but eventually went with a 2007 due to personal limitations and it being my first exotic. Now that the V12 is available, I'm not sure that it will have a huge impact (seeing as it is significantly more than the V8), but I'm sure it will as I've seen several owners selling their V8s to trade up for the V12. (weighting: med-high)
  3. Warranty on most pre-MY2009 models have already expired or will be soon. The R8 comes with a 4-year warranty so the soonest one will expire would be around fall of 2011. I expect prices on the MY2008 R8s will start to dip around that time. (weighting: med-high)
I also would go back to my original statement about the cars on eBay specifically. I think most buyers are looking for a silver color, black interior, stock wheels, and under 10K miles. Each of the cars listed on eBay have something that is not desirable to the majority. That being said, I haven't looked on eBay lately so there may be some that fit the bill and have other factors for the lack of movement.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the position of the forum members or Aston Martin owners as a whole. So don't chew off my head.

Last edited by Allen121; 12-23-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
I agree with the majority of posters here (what a surprise) that there is a favorite car for everyone. The Aston, to me, fits what I want in a car, and the looks, to me, are timeless. That said, timeless is a relative concept. I would imagine that you could poll 100 people and would get 100 very personal definitions of what timeless represents to each.

I am sure that each of us has a "once bitten" story involving their first sighting of a certain motor car. Most of us on this board saw an AM for the first time and went weak in the knees. I never felt that way with a Lambo, Audi or any other car. When you fall that hard, that fast, it is rarely about speed or any other metrics against which cars are compared against each other. It is a feeling....Are there other attractive, faster, sleeker cars? Of course, but that is not the point. The point is that there is a bond that each of us develops with a car, relative to our inner guy.

I would like to think that I am, although not particularly trendy, a solid believer in form, function and style. That is probably why I sparked to the Aston-it represents all that I think I am about as a person. And each of us is different. Like most on this board, I did not want an Aston based on price, and I really don't give a rip about the resale value. I want it because it sings to me. If a car only represents what you can get for it down the road, 99% of cars are a worthless investment. This car is not an investment to me; it is a statement of what I believe in and who I am, and that value is not figured in dollars and cents.

Last edited by CRVETR; 12-23-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Pipper6speed is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ccrispy
How can you say the performance isn't there & comment on a car you have never driven & cannot afford... I am driving a V8 07 right now & the car is gorgeous & very desirable but people cannot afford the car! So do me a favor & keep your mouth shut if you don't know what your talking about!..... FYI I also own a Bentley SS & have owned numerous cars & this is one of the most beautiful cars! It's performance is perfect... So go back to the GM blog & talk about a car you know about! Wedouglas....
Relax until your grammar returns. 6speed isn't the AM owners forum. It's a sports car forum with an AM section. If you don't like criticism of it, go hang out on the ever bustling AM board. Oh wait...

Please show me the performance of your 4.3. It's a pleasant daily driver I'm sure, but it's far from a performance car. Sorry, but you won't convince anyone on here that the car packs performance. 380hp, a trans that no one likes, and 3700 lbs. Sorry, those specs don't cut it anymore. Why do you think they shoved a V12 in it?

Honestly, it's very affordable. If people are buying 911's, then they certainly could be buying slightly used AM's. They aren't though. Anyone buying a car of equal or higher price has the ability to buy the Vantage, but they aren't.

The V8 vantage wasn't a heavy hitter when it first came out and the used ones certainly aren't up to par with the likes of the 911, GTR, and others in it's segment.

You like your car. You bought it and it fills whatever role you need it to. That's great. Don't let me get in the way of that, but also don't pretend that it's something that it clearly isn't.

And no GM for me. Only American car I'd ever consider owning is a FGT.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Another factor is dealer access. Every town in the US has an Audi or Nissan dealership, but very few have AM dealerships. People aren't likely to buy an expensive car if they aren't near a dealership, and especially not if they haven seen or driven one.
One of the reasons I went with the GT-R instead of the Vantage is that there is a GT-R certified dealer 3.3 miles from my house (that offers me outstanding priority service).
How can you say the performance isn't there & comment on a car you have never driven & cannot afford... I am driving a V8 07 right now & the car is gorgeous & very desirable but people cannot afford the car! So do me a favor & keep your mouth shut if you don't know what your talking about!.....
I agree with wedouglas' position about the price/performance aspect... I'm still considering getting an '07 Vantage, but just for the looks of the car - not at all for performance. I don't think I could do anything to the car to make it perform like my Nissan. But, that being said, I'd never try. The Vantage is one of those cars that just looks 'right' the way it comes from the factory (not to say a modest kit and some wheels won't help). But performance is not something I think of when I think of the Vantage.
Originally Posted by banton
I agree with the majority of posters here (what a surprise) that there is a favorite car for everyone. The Aston, to me, fits what I want in a car, and the looks, to me, are timeless. That said, timeless is a relative concept. I would imagine that you could poll 100 people and would get 100 very personal definitions of what timeless represents to each....
This is the biggest reason I still want one. The Vantage is just one of those cars that strikes me the right way (oddly, so is the GT-R). The only other cars that do that to me are the Ferrari 360/430/599, DB9/DBS, XKR, Maserati Gran Turismo, R8, and the Gallardo (barring the actual release of the new Porsche supercar (CGT replacement 918 or whatever it is called), and the new McLaren.

(Now that I actually put that list down somewhere, I feel like a fickle little bitch)

Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Banton, your comments embody my feelings exactly: "The point is that there is a bond [James Bond?]that each of us develops with a car, relative to our inner guy.

I would like to think that I am, although not particularly trendy, a solid believer in form, function and style. That is probably why I sparked to the Aston-it represents all that I think I am about as a person. And each of us is different. Like most on this board, I did not want an Aston based on price, and I really don't give a rip about the resale value. I want it because it sings to me."
To start with, and maybe to end with, I think this is the most beautiful and well balanced car-design in today's market--Heinrick Fiskar did a supurb job producing a design that looks beautiful from any angle (and sings to me also). My closest A-M dealer is 230 miles away, and that gives me good excuse to go for a drive--as if I need an excuse. I bought the car in IL in July with 4,600miles on it, drove it home to Lake Tahoe, NV and now have 10,450.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
Glad that I struck a chord, DickTahoe.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Epik151 has a spectacular aura aboutEpik151 has a spectacular aura about
There's been some very good discussion in this thread. Despite that one flamish vantage owner who was -- perhaps with good reason -- offended.

I think we have to differentiate between the two definitions of "desirable" as used in this thread.

1st, it was used by one poster as a way of pointing out it's not desirable at its price point as seen by the prices and trouble moving the cars.

2nd, another member was confused as to how someone could state the Vantage was not desirable as its exterior styling is surely universally liked.

I think if we all made the distinction between the two above uses we would agree with both statements.

I feel the Vantage and the Granturismo are two of the best designs in cardom today, bar none. But I would say however, that both are lacking many things buyers take into consideration such as: top of class performance, reliability, maintenance costs, nearby dealer, etc.

Both are beautiful and sound great but at the prices they start at, there are Lamborghinis and Ferraris a hair's breath away and that's always going to render second thoughts.

When spending this much money on a car, I think people tend to want it to be flashy and outlandish and to wow people wherever they go.

I think the Vantage and Granturismo have an understated elegance, as does the GTR(to a lesser degree) which lies in stark contrast to the Audi R8's in your face looks.

That alone could possibly be the reason for the R8 prices holding better.

Another thing to consider is that I feel the Nissan GTR and Audi R8 are younger cars. Being in my twenties, I would feel at home in these two whereas I might feel like a bit of a tool stepping out of an Aston or Maserati. But later on in life, definitely classier, the aston and maser.

As for the comments about the Aston look being dated. I think the one poster made a fair point that Aston has had this general look for over a decade now. But I wouldn't call the current Vantage dated as it still looks quite stunning. To me, the DB7 and DB9 do look dated.

In the end, I think owners of all four of these vehicles can be proud of them as daily drivers.

Unlike with Porsches, where I feel the only reason for them is to enjoy on the track -- the boxster spyder and RS's in particular -- as for all the people who just drive them to work and back, I consider them all victims of their own egos when listening to everyone harp on about Porsche's race-proven history and now they've ended up with payments on a car with no practical cargo space to speak off and the worst, the most boring and dull looking cars you can get with the prices they ask.

Out in the real world, GTR, R8, Vantage, Granturismo are all supremely better choices than any Porsche.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:23 AM
ccrispy will become famous soon enough
wedouglas

Excuse my grammar I am typing on my iPhone in my car... I don't bring my cars to the track but I drive on highways & my V8 performance is great I have a horsepower upgrade & quicksilver exhaust but my car this car is very reliable actually more so than my Bentley.... But wedouglas you need to go stick your head in a tomato and shut your pie hole... Can I ask you do you own an AM?? I'm sure you don't so how can you talk about performance?? I've owned AMGs Renntech tuned, M5, now I have a V8 & a supersport so I know about performance! You probably own a C300.....

Old 12-24-2010, 09:05 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I'd like to say "Thanks wedouglas", your post has resulted in the fastest 3-pages I've seen on this site as we all extol the Virtues, Beauty and Penache (there's a word that hasn't been used before in this thread!) of our Aston Martins. After owning a couple of Corvettes, a Porsche Boxster, and now my first Aston Martin--this is the first time I've been totally thrilled (ear-to-ear grin) everytime I drive it. The Aston was an item on my Bucket List.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I'd like to say "Thanks wedouglas", your post has resulted in the fastest 3-pages I've seen on this site as we all extol the Virtues, Beauty and Penache (there's a word that hasn't been used before in this thread!) of our Aston Martins. After owning a couple of Corvettes, a Porsche Boxster, and now my first Aston Martin--this is the first time I've been totally thrilled (ear-to-ear grin) everytime I drive it. The Aston was an item on my Bucket List.
'Penache' hasnt been used on the site because it's not a word. Panache is though

And lol @ 'go stick your head in a tomato'

Although wedouglas owns an R8, but maybe he has a C300 in addition to that.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Pipper6speed is an unknown quantity at this point
You probably own an R8.....
Yup, I do.

I can talk about the performance because it doesn't take a genius to understand what 380 hp and 3700 lbs will do with a mediocre transmission.

The fact that you drive it on the highway and not the track is even more a reason that it doesn't pack enough punch. Highways are long, sweeping roads where all you really need is grunt. The lack of it in the Vantage would be most apparent here.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM
ccrispy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wedouglas
Yup, I do.

I can talk about the performance because it doesn't take a genius to understand what 380 hp and 3700 lbs will do with a mediocre transmission.

The fact that you drive it on the highway and not the track is even more a reason that it doesn't pack enough punch. Highways are long, sweeping roads where all you really need is grunt. The lack of it in the Vantage would be most apparent here.
I agree 380 is a bit slow thats why I had my V8 upgraded, other than that I think the V8 is one of the most beutiful cars on the road! but thats why I have another car that is 621bhp...

Old 12-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Another factor is dealer access. Every town in the US has an Audi or Nissan dealership, but very few have AM dealerships. People aren't likely to buy an expensive car if they aren't near a dealership, and especially not if they haven seen or driven one. The first time I ever saw a Vantage in person I was wowed and the first time I ever drove one I was sold. That won't happen if you're just looking at pics on the internet.
That's a much bigger factor than people realize, especially with a car people consider "exotic" and thus requiring more dealer support than a normal car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: vantage prices soft?