Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What to do if I have a flat tire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 PM
GTS Jay has a spectacular aura aboutGTS Jay has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by macksamus
I have never had to use a tire sealant kit before, so I was wondering what happens to the wheel once it is time to replace the tire? Is there any gunk/residue that gets left behind on the inside of the wheel? Is it a pain to clean off?

When possible, just wondering if it's a better idea to have your car towed to get the flat replaced instead of using the tire sealant and driving to the repair shop.
Yes - this stuff makes a mess on the inside of your wheel and it's indeed a pain to clean. It can also throw off the balance so once you use it you should get the car to a shop quickly to have the tire fixed or repaired and have that stuff cleaned out before it becomes permanent.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GTS Jay
Yes - this stuff makes a mess on the inside of your wheel and it's indeed a pain to clean. It can also throw off the balance so once you use it you should get the car to a shop quickly to have the tire fixed or repaired and have that stuff cleaned out before it becomes permanent.
Thanks GTS Jay; exactly what I was worried about.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:28 PM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
I got a green slime kit at target for like 15 bucks... then again the furthest I am ever from my house with my vette is like 110 miles

Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GTS Jay
Doesn't this stuff also ruin the tire? If you fill up with just air, you still have a chance of repairing the tire.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Doesn't this stuff also ruin the tire? If you fill up with just air, you still have a chance of repairing the tire.
it does... but I would also prefer to pay for a new tire than a new rim (if the tire is flat and you continue to drive on a flat tire )

Old 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The tire sealant is a temp repair, you cannot drive fast with it inside the tire..you are also to tell the tech about to repair the tire..this gunk is inside the tire so he is prepared. The tire sealant will not fix a flat forever..again only a temp repair to get fault serviced!!

Also ladies and gents, the AM tire selant has a life term of 4 years, after 4 years the sealant starts to dry up and will not work. Check the tire inflation pump casing, on the front side near the top is the expiry date label..so anyone pre2008 time is either up or coming..you can get a replacment bottle from your local AM dealership, they can also replace the bottle for you..most places charge a standard rate of 1 hour

Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
You can get a replacement bottle of sealant from Continental Tire (via Tirerack). It's probably 1/10 the price charged by AM.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I got a replacement from Tirerack because mine had expired. When it came in the mail, I noticed that the "new" replacement expires in August 2014 which meant that 1/4 of its shelf life had already transpired. I called Tirerack to complain and they looked at their entire inventory and said all of them expired on the same date. Since both the Continental and Tirerack websites stated that the life of the product should be 4 years and not three, I got them to give me a refund for 1/4 of the cost. Not a huge refund, but it was the principle of it that bothered me.

Also, replacing the canister took about 10 minutes since I had never done it before. Now, it would take less than 5. AM's standard rate of an hour is way over-estimated.

Finally, Continental claims that once the sealant hardens, it can be peeled off the inside of the tire without damage to the tire, valve stem, TPMS or wheel. Whether this is true in practice, I don't know.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Finally, Continental claims that once the sealant hardens, it can be peeled off the inside of the tire without damage to the tire, valve stem, TPMS or wheel.
Interesting. I don't suppose they'd pay any portion of the replacement tire cost if the stuff didn't peel off but the tire otherwise would have been fixable.

Personally, I'd still first try filling the tire up with just air. In my experience, punctured tires typically will hold good air pressure for at least several hours. Plenty of time to drive it to the tire shop to see if it can be salvaged.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
All the Aston flats I've come across with the tire sealant..sealant never hardend and stayed in a liquid form..the leak was temp repaired at puncher, sealant at puncher was hard..

Also 95% of the Potenza RE050A tires do not like patchs..so most of the tires punchered are replaced and cannot be patched (non runflat version am talking about, runflat version should not even be tried to patch)..patch continues to leak..then again general rule is anything over a H speed rated tire should not be repaired only replaced..this comes from tire manufacture training(BFG, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone) and experierence over the years..

Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 AM
watchrabbit is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by irish07
then again general rule is anything over a H speed rated tire should not be repaired only replaced..this comes from tire manufacture training(BFG, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone) and experierence over the years..
+1
Why would someone even think about patching a tire capable of driving 300kmh on a really expensive car is a mistery to me . But it seems some people are still contemplating this idea...

Old 11-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by watchrabbit
+1
Why would someone even think about patching a tire capable of driving 300kmh on a really expensive car is a mistery to me . But it seems some people are still contemplating this idea...
Same reason why someone with a $200,000 car asks if we sell used tires under $50..fakers! A lot of ppl buy these cars to have just simply as curb appeal..help ppl look good on the outside of there home..mean while there bank accounts are running dry..but long as they look good, that's all that matters...see this numerous times every week

Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Surprised by these latest posts. If your tire had a minor puncture, say from a nail, and developed a slow leak as a result, would patching it really be that bad? If the patch failed, wouldn't you just go back to the slow leak? And is there something wrong with not wanting to replace a $500 tire with plenty of tread left if you can avoid it? One reason I can afford a $200,000 car is because I don't make a practice of wasting my money.

- The alleged poser

Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Surprised by these latest posts. If your tire had a minor puncture, say from a nail, and developed a slow leak as a result, would patching it really be that bad? If the patch failed, wouldn't you just go back to the slow leak? And is there something wrong with not wanting to replace a $500 tire with plenty of tread left if you can avoid it? One reason I can afford a $200,000 car is because I don't make a practice of wasting my money.

- The alleged poser
If a owner wants to try and repair a puncher on H+ rated tires..by all means, go for it..but there is a reason why the tire costs say $500..how else can they post a sale tag of $200,000..

My car is $20,000 and tires are $250/ea ..V8V's are average $200,000(10 times more than my car) and tires are $500/ea(only 2 times my cars tires) ..if ratio was to be correct..V8V tires should be around $5,000..but there not..lol wonder who has the better ratio.

I don't think I need to explain about H-speed and high tires..sure you guys all understand that they are stiffer/tougher/under more stress(research if you must). Take a regular piece of paper, grab a nail and stab is through on a angle(not straight cause that's not how punchers happen). Eventually while pulling on that piece of paper from left-right-up-down..that rip from the nail will expand. By putting a patch plug your just trying to plug that present whole from leaks by forcing a larger piece of rubber through. Now to fit a patch plug correctly, you need to drill the tire to the correct size for the desired patch plug(patch and plug combined, not just a patch nor just a plug for these types are illegal, patch plugs are the only legal repair under highway safety code).

By the time you repair your RE050A and inflate the tire, there is a 95% chance that tire puncher has already expanded and will continue to leak at the patch. Only time you can patch a tire like the RE050A's is if the puncher was 100% round, not oval..not square..etc...but even then your drilling through the tire belts which causes a weakstress point..

Replacing a punchered tire that is not to be repaired is not wasting money..it's called being smart and not stupid..enjoying a safe life of your own and who ever else enters your car..not only you and ppl in your car, put the ppl surrounding you on the roadway..stop being selfish ..a Aston owner wants to save money fine, buy your oil filter and have walmart change your oil..but don't do it in a unsafe way that can result in others lives other than your own...I work in a garage and see **** you guys can only imagine happen.."Client:nail in tire, who cares..plug it..tech plugs tire and has client sign a waiver9garage not responable... Think is was 3-4 weeks later, tire exploded on a corner on the expressway, the mag bit the concrete and car barrel rolls off expressway and lands top side down..car was confirmed in SRS doing 110kph when roll over valves in fuel tank closed" ...no lies

Sry Racer_X, I am not bashing on you personally, have nothing on you..just a general comment on this topic with my own experience ..If I had the money to drive one of these cars..I'd spend even $5000 for a tire on a $200,000 car, if it meant I could be safer and live to see my kids one more day

Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 AM
If it's truly unsafe to patch one of these tires, that's another story. I was not aware of this and others may not be either. Not all of us repair these cars for a living. Regardless, the overgeneralization as to "fakers," which seems to have been directed straight at me, was unwarranted. Sounds like hater talk to me . . .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to do if I have a flat tire?