Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Just don't know what to do........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 AM
manumehta is on a distinguished road
Angry Just don't know what to do........

ok, so I spent 4 1/2 hours yesterday at the dealership looking for the Vantage I want to buy. Test drove 4 Vantages, 2 with Foose Wheels 2 without and one automatic roadster. And, NOW I am hella confused The sales rep told me that every aston drives differently so he would like for me to test drive what he had on the lot. Now, here are my concerns which are just bothering me with this purchase..............I have driven stick shift till I was 19 yrs old and was totally comfortable as that's all I drove and then of course i switched to automatic and from the age of 20 to 28 all I drove was automatic transmission. While I was test driving the AM's yesterday I just couldn't get a grasp of driving stick shift anymore, I stared to get confused and annoyed, which kind of turned me off from those cars (and considering that they didn't drive that smooth anyways). But def liked the roadster as it was automatic transmission.

Now, getting to the end results..............I def can't buy manual coz i didn't feel it. The only choice I am left with is automatic and after reading all the threads here, it seems like automatic is not a good choice as far as maintenance goes. Can someone please educate me a little about automatic and explain how is it higher in maintenance cost than manual.

P:S After thinking about everything overnight I am looking into Maserati GT as well but would love a little info about their issues or maintenance costs as well. Thanks a lot forum and will appreciate all the feedback.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
What is frustrating you about the manual is you cannot feel the engagement point of the clutch release at all. You have to let the clutch out almost completely before adding gas. If you upgrade to aftermarket clutch that should change that as well. You just need more practice thats all. With that said, if you want paddleshift, you can always upgrade the software for improved shifting.
________
Web shows

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:49 PM
inthemarket is on a distinguished road
What are you "hella confused" about? That all of the cars felt different when you drove them or that they didn't feel different? I'm in the market for an AMV8V so it's interesting to hear about your experience.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
oh God, there are TWO astons with foose wheels? lol

Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 PM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
The sport shift is great, screw the additional maintenance costs, whatever they may be, it’s worth it. And as for the Maserati -Welcome to the club because they aren't a rare site - which I why I got the Aston over the Maserati GT (as I considered it as well).

Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I don't have an automatic, so I really can't comment on that. As for a manual transmission, however, I wouldn't let a few minutes of awkward shifting scare you away. One thing that is different from car to car is the engagement of the clutch and when and how much gas to apply. It just takes time to get accustomed to the car and I'm sure if you bought a car with a manual transmission, you would become comfortable with it in a matter of days or weeks (at the most). Once you're comfortable with the stick, you'll discover it's fun to "row your own."

Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 PM
@oo7 vantage:- I agree with you man but it's just that they all were so rough. I mean even the sales guy told me that "End of the day, it's a sportscar", which i get too but I had a completely diff picture in my mind. I guess I am just gonna have to think harder as to what I want in between AM or Maserati

@in the market:- The cars didn't feel any different besides the roadster which prolly is because of the Automatic transmission. And I am confused because I had my mind and my heart set on AM but now I am looking into Maseratis which I have no clue about when it comes to maintenance.

@kba:- what helped you make the decision between Aston Martin and Maserati???

@Racerx:- Is automatic really a different class when it comes to maintenance as compared to manual.

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

P:S Test drove a red Maserati GT with tan interior yesterday and My Oh My did i love that car..........lol. few days left and so much to decide.......hahahahah

Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
First off the sportshift is not an automatic like in the DB9. There is no torque converter. It is a hydraulically controlled manual. I have written a few posts on the SS. Do a search. I too was very hesitant to purchase the SS as I have only owned manuals and I was concerned it would take away from the spirit of the car. I have to say that I love the SS. So much so that it would be a tough choice for me to go back to a manual. Crazy to think that! I did the RSC TCU remap and it is amazing. Shifts very similar to a F1 F360. Not as quick as the F1 F430 I drove but it's not a pure bred sports car like the Ferrari. I looked the Maserati as well but I felt the interior was a few notched down from the AM. Felt very MB and BMW to me but still a beautiful car. BTW, the maintenance cost on the SS and manual are the same.

Adam

Old 02-07-2011, 01:33 AM
brabham79 is on a distinguished road
wonder if you went to eurocar? ive test driven a couple differnet manuals now and have noticed either im getting used to them and loving them or 'no 2 vantages are the same' syndrome exists. either way the silver on orange seats with clear tailights i drove felt amazing to me, well just right anyway.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
"While I was test driving the AM's yesterday I just couldn't get a grasp of driving stick shift anymore, I stared to get confused and annoyed, which kind of turned me off from those cars"

I'll try to offer a few suggestions that I hope will help. (1) All clutches feel a little different and engage differently. Put the car in 1st, then gradually let the clutch out until you begin to feel the "friction zone", now you can start down with the accelerator as you continue to release the clutch. Eventually you'll get a good feel for where the clutch will start to engage. (2) Be careful when you put the car in 1st, which will only be when you're fully stopped. If you get too agressive it will go into reverse, which will be indicated by the "Red 'R' " coming up on the dash, and a beep. This problem will eventually go away as you get used to gently going into 1st, not being so agressive. (3) The Gear shift is spring loaded into the 3rd, 4th gears. So as you shift up out of 2nd, just let the gear shift go to its natural center position and push it up 3rd, then leave it spring-centered and pull it directly down into 4th. From then on you are ready to push it away up into the upper right corner for 5th and keep right-pressure on as you pull it down into 6th as you are going through 150!

Finding and sensing the cluthes friction zone is fundamental to getting a nice smooth start in 1st gear. Before long this will become very natural.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
@brabham:- That's exactly where i went. what a small world. Were you there as well and which car are you looking to buy?? Would love to hear your experience Sir.

@tahoe:- Thanks a lot for the info Sir. I think I am gonna have to go back and test drive them again to get the feel of them. but the first thing to do this morning is go to the bank and get the loan done for the BEAST (what beast is still no decided) lol.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM
kba
Honestly, the only reason I got the Vantage over the GranTurismo is because it’s not a DD. I didn’t know if I wanted to keep my DD and have a sports car or use a sports car as a DD. The Vantage, for me, is just too small for a DD (not the DB9 though in my opinion).

Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM
kba, I am not gonna be using it as a DD. I have other cars which would be used as a DD. This will be mostly my weekend car and going out car. So, you prefer Vantage over GT just coz its not a DD or you have some other reasons as well. Thanks

Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM
kba
I use the Vantage for the exact reasons you are looking for - a weekend and going out car. I prefer the Vantage over the GT for other reasons as well. My though process was, since it won't be used as a DD, the Vantage has better handling, is faster, and more rare. Therefore, the only logical reason for me to purchase a GT over a Vantage was if it was going to be used as a DD - where I would have the added benefits of backseats, a smoother ride, larger trunk, and it would blend in more (although not to much more).

Old 02-11-2011, 11:15 AM
inthemarket is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you are more sold on the Maserati? If you like it that much and it made such a great impression on you, I think you should go for it! Everyone purchases cars for different reasons and preferences, I for one love the Maserati as well, but a manual for me is a must so the Maserati is out of the question.

Good luck with your decision!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just don't know what to do........