Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

clear bra "yellowing" and other bra questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 AM
gekko will become famous soon enoughgekko will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Make sure the previous job was done correctly....it they cut after install and were not careful it can goo through the paint. I would check to see who did the wrap initially. Would be horrible to pull it off, just to see razor marks in the paint!
Can't tell you how many cars I've seen at meets with Razor marks in the paint, far too many sloppy jobs out there! I was lucky to find a local guy here in T.O., which did an amazing job on my car.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Very true. Installer of choice is the key to how "clear" the product is.

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 PM
StevenJMenna is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the pictures. That was helpful.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 AM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by brumma
I'm picking up my '07 V8 Vantage next week. It currently has a clear bra installed, but I'm thinking about having the front redone so that it covers the entire hood and fenders in order to hide the lines. In addition, it seems to have a small chip in the material along one of the edges. Like others, I am also a bit worried about any fading in the exposed portions of the paint vs. the covered areas.

Anyway, can anyone recommend an installer in Florida? I live in southwest Florida, so would prefer someone on this side of the state if possible. Thanks.

Make sure the previous job was done correctly....it they cut after install and were not careful it can goo through the paint. I would check to see who did the wrap initially. Would be horrible to pull it off, just to see razor marks in the paint! A good shop (like Premier) will not do this, but unfortunatly I have seen this before.
This is my current nightmare. Deep cuts in the front fenders. I seriously want to kill someone.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 AM
PeterW is on a distinguished road
What happened? I thought you were getting new clear bra put on, they didn't do a good job on your V8V?

Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM
What happened? I thought you were getting new clear bra put on, they didn't do a good job on your V8V?
Having the new one put on as we speak. It was from the original application. We're trying to figure out what the best option is in terms of minimizing the cuts.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear this happen on your car. It is very true. Over the years we have continuously seen inexperienced installers cut and damage paint. The essential key part of paint protection film installation is THE INSTALLER....

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks, guys. Here's the situation... I had two options: 1) Use a new pattern that extends above the cut, or 2) Try to match old cut line. Obviously, he would have to break what he called 'the first rule' by doing the same as the original installer and cutting the new bra on the car in order to match the original. The original was in sort of a bikini cut and doesn't match any pattern (probably just a custom cut) and the new line is almost straight across. He was also concerned that the quality of a hand cut wouldn't be as nice as the computer cut one of the pattern. With option #1 we were hoping that covering the cut would minimize it, but doesn't seem to do that. So now I either live with the cuts on the fenders under the clear bra, or I can have him hand cut the current mask to match the old line in a couple of weeks and simultaneously redo the hood.

It is really tearing up inside. I really feel like someone ruined my beautiful car (albeit before I owned it). I'm even apprehensive about allowing my friends see the car close up because they are very critical and might call attention to it. I may be over-stating the matter, but I am really upset about it. Grrrrrr.

It's really a shame, because the rest of the car looks better than new. I had a gentleman named Todd Helme come down from Orlando and spend the day polishing the car. He did an exemplary job! And we had a lot of fun while he was working on it. He's a really fun and entertaining guy with a great work ethic. I also have to complement the new clear bra installer. The new line of the bra is barely visible, and the 3M film is so much better than the old stuff (no orange peel)!

Last edited by brumma; 04-16-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Glad he did a good job. So you did option 1? Pic of the car?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:52 PM
I only have a few pics from before the new bra. I'll snap some "after" shots and post tomorrow. My initial reaction is that I will probably have him trim the bra in a couple of weeks, but we'll see how I feel then. The nice thing is that he said he'd only charge me for the additional materials, not the labor (about $50). I'd definitely recommend them if you're down near me in SW Florida. Peter, I assume you didn't get to meet him, but it's definitely the same guy who did your car.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Here's one photo before the clear bra. You can see the cut in this photo.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm going to go drown myself in the toilet now...

Old 04-17-2011, 08:20 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I feel really bad that I called it.....previous owner of mine also added one and I have left it on (looks fine). Why did you take yours off, they last a few years?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I feel really bad that I called it.....previous owner of mine also added one and I have left it on (looks fine). Why did you take yours off, they last a few years?
The old one was in pretty poor condition. The edges were very visible and lifting in places, there were scratches from polishing, and several chips along the edges. In addition, the texture of the material was pretty nasty--a lot of orange peel.

My options are to have the new clear bra installer attempt to match the old lines, or else have the front quarter panels re-painted. If I do repaint it, I probably won't bother recovering the fenders/hood and just leave the stuff on the bumper, rocker panels, mirrors, and rear wheel arches. I'll most likely try to recut the clear bra, but I'll probably have to repaint it once I've saved up some cash. So much for the AM Power Upgrade...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clear bra "yellowing" and other bra questions