Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

clear bra "yellowing" and other bra questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 PM
nacelle is on a distinguished road
clear bra "yellowing" and other bra questions

This from dicktahoe in another thread... hope you don't mind.

I had mine done by and independant contractor with 3M material for about $750 (whole front end up to about 6-inches beyond the headlights, mirrors and door edges). I believe the 3-M is the best available and they warantee against yellowing for 5-years--I think. It is certainly worth it to keep your front-end chip-free.

Guys...

So I'm wondering about this yellowing of the clear bra material over time. Also, what difference would there be potentially in the paint color fading to a degree more where the covering material is not in place on the car, does this happen?

It seems that most get the bra applied... is anyone out there who chose not to do the covering willing to chip in (bad joke) here?

I have not done mine yet, I have a '10 Vantage picked up late last fall so it has hardly any mileage on it at this point in time.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
The yellowing really applies to white cars, it should barely show on any other color cars. I want mine done after 9500 miles.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM
klittlehale is on a distinguished road
I have a clear bra that was applied when the car was about 2 years old with 10K mileage on it. 18 months later I see no yellowing and it is very difficult to see the color difference between the covered paint and uncovered paint. The car's base color is Tungsten Silver. I would recommend having the entire front end covered and would enlarge the area covered over the rear wheel wells--that is the area that has the greatest amount of chipping and paint damage on my car and unfortunately I did not have it covered when I had the front end done.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM
spamv8 is on a distinguished road
I had it done on my 07 vantage and after 3 years it looked just as good.
I recently sold my 07 and picked up an N420 which i had the entire front wrapped. I would say that there are different manufactures of the film and the company i have used does not use 3m.

http://premiermobilegroup.com/

Old 03-02-2011, 01:20 PM
torment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud oftorment has much to be proud of
You can clean it with Meguiar's PlastX.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
For paint protection film, if it is going on a white vehicle, you will naturally see a slight tone difference right from the start. If you have white, this distinction is most noticeable if you have a partial hood / partial fender install. Go for a full hood / full fenders clear bra wrap instead of the partial.

Installer of choice is actually more important. Take a look at this installation before it came to us. Installer had to redo it 3xs before the customer gave up and sent the ZR1 to us:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-you-pay.html

Sharing our Passion on Youtube: https://urlgeni.us/youtube/Premier

Facebook: https://urlgeni.us/facebook/Premier

42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA. 510-623-1308 sales@premiermobilegroup.com
Old 03-03-2011, 06:03 AM
nacelle is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys and Premier as well for jumping in... BTW the color of my car is Quantum Silver.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:26 PM
spamv8 is on a distinguished road
Nacelle,
My car is quantum silver as well. Premier just wrapped it last week. They took some pictures which they can post so you can get a good look at it

Old 03-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !Premier Films Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spamv8
Nacelle,
My car is quantum silver as well. Premier just wrapped it last week. They took some pictures which they can post so you can get a good look at it
Thank you. Glad we were able to protect your AM! Here are some photos we took:

Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 AM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
I'm picking up my '07 V8 Vantage next week. It currently has a clear bra installed, but I'm thinking about having the front redone so that it covers the entire hood and fenders in order to hide the lines. In addition, it seems to have a small chip in the material along one of the edges. Like others, I am also a bit worried about any fading in the exposed portions of the paint vs. the covered areas.

Anyway, can anyone recommend an installer in Florida? I live in southwest Florida, so would prefer someone on this side of the state if possible. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brumma
I'm picking up my '07 V8 Vantage next week. It currently has a clear bra installed, but I'm thinking about having the front redone so that it covers the entire hood and fenders in order to hide the lines. In addition, it seems to have a small chip in the material along one of the edges. Like others, I am also a bit worried about any fading in the exposed portions of the paint vs. the covered areas.

Anyway, can anyone recommend an installer in Florida? I live in southwest Florida, so would prefer someone on this side of the state if possible. Thanks.

Make sure the previous job was done correctly....it they cut after install and were not careful it can goo through the paint. I would check to see who did the wrap initially. Would be horrible to pull it off, just to see razor marks in the paint! A good shop (like Premier) will not do this, but unfortunatly I have seen this before.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 AM
PeterW is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brumma

Brumma,

I'm picking my 07 V8V as well over at Porsche of Ft. Myers this weekend. They are doing the clear bra install, will let you know how it turns out.

Peter

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM
StevenJMenna is on a distinguished road
I have been debating this on my DBS nd have not done it as of yet. Other than application potential mistakes are there any negatives to doing it? When the whole front end is done can you see any differences in the paint between the doors and the front end? Thanks.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
This is actually a pretty common question StevenJMenna. Below are some photos of an installation on a '11 GT3 RS. We purposely took photos right after the full fenders are installed to show the difference between the covered (full right front fender) vs. the bare paint (right door)

Old 03-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Like most anything it comes down to the installer as someone highly experienced in this craft can make application nearly invisible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clear bra "yellowing" and other bra questions