Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

ECU update & upcoming mods ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
Wow...stock front rotors are 28 lbs each??
Yes! And sadly there is no 2-piece direct bolt-on solution in the market place. I have been begging brembo for months but they refused (probably because they do not want to compete with their 380mm GT kit).

I took a page out of th V12V playbook with its 9.5lb rotors and went with the 2-piece brembos. 13.0 is still 9.0 lbs lighter per rotor (massive drop in rotational unsprung mass).

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 11-14-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Yes! And sadly there is no 2-piece direct bolt-on solution in the market place. I have been begging brembo for months but they refused (probably because they do not want to compete with their 380mm GT kit).
I would wager a decent amount of $$$ that it has more to do with Brembo being the supplier of the OEM brakes on the car and having a contract with Aston Martin which restricts the type of products they are allowed to offer for that application.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Actually, I think it has more to do with the fact that Brembo wants to maximize their profits, and a direct 2-piece bolt on from the front would cannibalize sales of their full 380mm GT kit. It makes sense from their perspective, but I honestly think they would actually make much more revenue if they had a direct both on 2-piece rotor kit for both front and rear.

I will try to get another 2-piece rotor manufacturer to take on the challenge. 28lbs is A TON of unsprung rotating mass. If that could be brought down to say 16-18 lbs, the gains in handling & steering feedback would be tremendous.

I am going to send a few emails to some rotor manufacturers to see who would be interested.
The 380mm GT kit (albeit much pricier than just the rotor replacement) is a fantastic piece of kit. Had the pleasure of putting some miles on a DB9 that had been converted and it was night & day.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice

I took a page out of th V12V playbook with its 9.5lb rotors and went with the 2-piece brembos. 13.0 is still 9.0 lbs lighter per rotor (massive drop in rotational unsprung mass).
Interesting...I'd bet Stu is right that AM has a deal preventing Brembo from offering rotors. But if they went with Brembo rotors surely they could have chosen a lighter option...28 lbs is insane.

Definitely worth upgrading for the drop in unsprung mass (whoops just caught my error there) if you can get rotors for a reasonable price. The brake kit for $5000 for fronts only is not worth it for me, but I'd do rotors all around for sure.

As for the wheels/tires, my HRE setup with Contis is around 50 lbs for the rear wheels/tires and 44 for the fronts even with going much wider. That's a big difference vs. stock but you coud do even better with stock sizes.

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 05-06-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
glad to hear

Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Dyno Update:

Showed up to the shop today for the brembo rotors but the weather was so horrifically bad that I cancelled I rescheduled for next week (another cool front is coming, optimal weather for accurate comparison to previous runs). However, I did manage to get the dyno comparison between bone stock vs. RPI + ECU finally.

Looking at the charts you can really get a sense for just how drastic of a change both have made on the top end. You would have to be legally blind in order to miss the massive change in Air Fuel Ratios (the difference is quite staggering).

Also, the cam phase changes are much more apparent on this chart than the previous one. The two phase changes happen at roughly 5000rpm, and 6300rpm. And the one at 6300 is actually more violent than the one at 5000 is stock. It is a new sensation that I will have to get used to getting them back to back like a one two punch. Most of the time I will short shift during spirited driving just b/c past 6300 it just moves so quick down the road. 6300-7500 happens almost instantly in lower gears so you barely have any time to react for a shift, I am still getting the hang of shifting near red-line but I still hit the rev limiter 50% of the time. One interesting thing to note as well is how flat the torque curve is after 6250rpm ... it barely drops off at all. It will be interesting to see what happens after high flow cats are installed. Certainly very strong results for just two modifications

Anyways, enjoy

________
COLORADO DISPENSARIES

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Kamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really niceKamran is just really nice
This is very impressive. Congrats!!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Very nice results. These are about the same results I had with my 2007 after an ECU remap and the high flow cats. The cats should make a difference as the stock ones are pretty restrictive (not to mention heavy).

Old 05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Very nice results. These are about the same results I had with my 2007 after an ECU remap and the high flow cats. The cats should make a difference as the stock ones are pretty restrictive (not to mention heavy).

Just curious, what ECU reamp did you do on your 2007? RSC?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Eurocharged did my ecu tune. It was a true custom dyno tune (not just a normal tune), which is why it made more power.

Hope that helps
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by alevine
Just curious, what ECU reamp did you do on your 2007? RSC?
RacerX had the RSC "normal" tune and 200 Cell Catalysts.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
RacerX had the RSC "normal" tune and 200 Cell Catalysts.
That's right. BTW, is there an abnormal tune? Seriously, there are multiple RSC tuning options now?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Racer_X
That's right. BTW, is there an abnormal tune? Seriously, there are multiple RSC tuning options now?
Yeah if you know the secret handshake you get the "extra special" tune which gives you a turbo button on the dash and 6 foot flames shoot out the back.

I was just taking the mickey out of 007 'cos he said he didn't have a "normal" tune, but glad to see you got the same kind of results from our cats + tune as he did from his mods.

BTW - when can I get my grubby little mitts on your V12... you must be itching for an exhaust.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
It's great to see the Air/Fuel Ratio hit 12.5:1 at max HP--right where it should be. Also, it's great to see an extra 300RPM (7,500 limit), where HP is still climbing. Imagine what HP would be if the limiter would come in at 7,800.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:17 AM
vince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nicevince_1972 is just really nice
Excellent curves and ratio...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU update & upcoming mods ...