Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

- The Brembo 2-piece Rear Rotors writeup -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Hey Guys, sorry for the lack of attention here(packing etc. for a move to Miami on a more permanent basis), and thanks zambono for getting in touch.

The description on the site is correct for the fronts, but was wrong for the rears - should read 328 x 28mm 2 piece floating rotors on the rear, but it is correct in that there is not a calliper replacement. Includes braided hoses.

There is a 380mm calliper option available for the rears, and a 405mm for the front but we haven't listed them as that's really overkill for most applications. Will get the site updated.

If anyone is interested, you can PM me for 6speed pricing, I am able to offer you guys a discount from our list price. (although I have not heard from 007 so I'm assuming he has found a much better/more affordable option

Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
update on fronts:

Stock weight = 28 lbs
Intended goal = 18 lbs
Actual weight = 19.8 lbs

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 11-14-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Carbotech Pads Update:

So I have been driving the car a bit more than usual in order to really push the brakes and rotors to see how they perform and I have to say I am very impressed with the results. Most importantly (so far) ... ZERO squeal. I will continue to push the pads. I have done many 90-50mph, 80-30mph aggressive slow downs and there appears to be no fade whatsoever of any kind.

Next test, slowly braking to a stop. This is the ultimate test for brake squeal (and by far the most embarrassing for most of us). I am happy to report that so far ... there is no brake squeal at all. I tried to brake as slightly as possible, right in the sweet spot which would normally produce that high pitched squeal ... and nothing. Did it over and over again, so far none whatsoever. Whether or not this holds up over the long term I am not sure yet but I will continue to do this test every time I drive in order to see if it still holds up. If it does then I can give my final seal of approval on the pads.

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 11-14-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Squeal Update:

After having driven the car now for roughly 300-400 miles I finally understand where the squeal is coming from. Its actually not coming from one source ... there are actually two locations where the squeal come from.

The First is the brake pads themselves. The squeal you get coming slowly to a stop with light brake pressure (30-40%) comes from the actual brake pads themselves. After pushing the pads quite hard and testing them in all sorts of conditions I am happy to report that THIS squeal is officially gone and does not appear to be coming back at all. I have never once gotten one single squeal of this type since I put the new rotors & pads on.

The second type is the more annoying one at low speeds roughly 5-13 mph increasing/decreasing with wheel rpm. This squeal comes from the actual brake pads themselves due to the stock E-brake design (which is most definitely a "Scrubber" style e-brake). The fundamental reason for this is the E-brake mechanism is a screw-in type E-brake (Ford based of course). This is also known as auto-adjusting E-brake which is constantly adjusting and tightening every time you pull the E-brake lever. For this reason, it is always sitting directly on the rotor and never full disengages like most normal piston-based E-brakes. Piston based E-brake mechanisms are different in that they either fully engaged or fully released. This is also confirmed by the signature now left on the rotors now that the two pad compounds are of different material. The Carbotech pad compound leaves a slightly different color signature on the rotors than the brembo does and you can clearly see the brembo is constantly scrubbing all the time. It appears the major source of the squeal is the actual Pad compound itself because both the Brembo main rear pad & the E-brake pad exhibit the same problem.

For this reason, it is now apparent the only true cure for this is to actually swap out the e-brake pad compound to the Carbotech 1521 compound (which I will be doing shortly).

The short term fix has been discussed before, simply pull e-brake while holding the buttom at like 30-40mph and use tour arm to apply the tension as it rolls to a complete stop. This is of course a temporary measure, It will come back in another couple hundred miles.

I will be sending off the original E-brake pads to Carbotech to have them fab up a new set for me. Once I put them in and test the new compounds I will then be able to determine if that is truly the only real cure to the problem. Fortunately the Carbotech pads should be significantly cheaper than the Brembo units.

One thing I have been able to determine is both are definitely coming from the rear brakes system alone. The fronts have never been the issue.

One problem cured ... onto the 2nd,

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 11-14-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:24 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
The Brembo kits are definitely a savings in unsprung weight.

We carry them if anyone is interested. I can special order Stop-Tech as well.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
noisy indeed, lol, but trust me they work at autocross and i am going to track mine as soon as I have new tires.

any news on those rotors?