Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage V8 you have or have had oil leaks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 03:44 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
when I bought my 2009 vantage 3 years ago, during the PPI there was slight weepage around the timing belt cover... price from dealer, at that time, was about $2400... suggested we monitor it and it has not gotten worse... but it's a weekend driver with only about 5k miles since then and I don't push it too hard and don't track it.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:35 PM
Registered PM
kaj750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine was wet. At 44k it's now dripping spots onto the garage floor. At the same time, my clutch started slipping LOL

Old 03-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've never seen a spot of oil on the floor of the 6 Vantages I've had - however, when I had my 2015 GT in it's annual inspection they said I had a slight seepage at the timing cover and rear transaxle and they would 'work up a price'... that's when I told them the cars under factory warranty and the price is zero. They pretty much tore the car apart to fix the seepage. They showed be the seal at the timing cover was not seated by the mechanic (whose name is on then plaque) to put the engine together it was not even close to being seated and was pinched. So much about hand built quality! Anyway I asked what it would cost if not under warranty and they said about $8,500.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:54 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
So much about hand built quality!
Sounds about right for hand built quality.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:01 AM
Mike Gray will become famous soon enough
Well, we can add my 2013 V8V, MT to the list of cars with the dreaded timing cover leak. 18.4K and never tracked or abused, with "better than book" service history. The car had a slight leak when I had its first (under my ownership) annual service at 14K about 1 1/2 years ago. Tech checked torque on the timing cover bolts and that was spot-on. Said we'd watch it and, if the leak was still there at the next annual service, we'd go ahead and replace the gasket with the updated version.

The car will leave 2-3 dime-sized spots on the garage floor after being parked for a week or two, so she's at the shop now for the repair. I can't stand a leaky car - even when it's British!!

Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM
Registered PM
Mine is currently in the Bay area getting the clutch installed and timing cover fixed. I also can not stand a leaky car. Not in my garage LOL

Old 06-28-2020, 02:50 PM
Kalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to allKalepsis is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kaj750
Mine is currently in the Bay area getting the clutch installed and timing cover fixed. I also can not stand a leaky car. Not in my garage LOL
You might as well have them replace the rear main seal while the clutch is being replaced. Had mine done a few weeks ago when I got my VAP twin-disc clutch put in. It was leaking pretty badly.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:49 PM
Registered PM
Originally Posted by Kalepsis
You might as well have them replace the rear main seal while the clutch is being replaced. Had mine done a few weeks ago when I got my VAP twin-disc clutch put in. It was leaking pretty badly.
​​​​​​Absolutely!. I replace all rear main seals, on all cars, when I pull the trans. Cheap insurance and nobody wants to do that job twice😂
actually...I'm not doing it this time, which is really nice.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:26 PM
Abdullah37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Aston40
I had an oil leak at the sump. Ok it took like 5 weeks to drop one drop.
The two pipes that supply/ collect oil from the engine were 'wet"!

And this is how much work it was.

No cover leaks nothing since.
I am about to purchase a car that has small leaks that have different colors and consistency at 3 locations shown in the picture one of them is the same location as this pipe you are showing.
I wanna know if it is minimal and can just keep going or is it a walk way deal. The cars are rare here and we cannot import them and the finances can't allow for a 5 figure repair bill.
Car is a 2007 v8 vantage manual with 90k km (50k miles). If it makes a difference the car is in a dry hot climate. Had a long park for 4 years from 2016-2020 driving roughly 300 km. Might be air condenser leak cause

looking at the back side from the front ( I think this is the compressor)

From the other side (looking at the front from the back)

This is the same location, U said it is the oil sump. this one is worrying me the most to walk away

Transaxle leak

Last edited by Abdullah37; 08-16-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:26 AM
Registered PM
Even if my car still leaked, I'd still own it.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:19 AM
SLVRon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kaj750
Even if my car still leaked, I'd still own it.
I think I should have that made into a custom license plate frame. No leaks on my 2007 V8V, so maybe I shouldn't tempt fate

Old 08-17-2020, 05:27 PM
Registered PM
Originally Posted by SLVRon
I think I should have that made into a custom license plate frame. No leaks on my 2007 V8V, so maybe I shouldn't tempt fate
That would be to any and all Vantage owners hahaha. When I bought mine, it was perfect. Started leaking about 8weeks into ownership. It's all fixed now, but even if it weren't, I'd just leave a tray under the car. Old oil leaks out... New oil goes in. That's a positive, am I right?? LOL

Old 03-31-2021, 05:53 PM
SLVRon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SLVRon
What was that about tempting fate ;( When the shifter cables were replaced the mechanic noticed a minor leak - not worth addressing at that point so he recommended keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse. I now see some drops on the garage floor - probably about a quarter the size of a dime will accumulate in a few weeks. I'll likely get it addressed at some point, but since summer is here in California I'll see if it remains the same with more regular driving.