Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AM Tire Inflator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
AM Tire Inflator

I have the AM tire inflator kit that comes with the Vantage and I'm wondering how it works. More specifically, I'm wondering exactly what it does when you use it. After a really quick inspection this morning, the kit appears to include a compressor and a small tank of *something* that connects to the compressor and whose contents are shot into the tire during inflation.

If one uses the inflator kit, does it ruin the tire? That is, does it fill the tire with gunk such that the tire must be replaced, or does it instead just coat the inside surface of the tire to seal leaks? If it's the former, I'm going to get one of those small DC air compressors that enable you to get to a tire shop and get a patch (assuming the tire only has a small puncture in it).

Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
It's similar to the M mobility kit that originally came with the E46 M3...it seals the leak from the inside with a glue-type substance, and yes it essentially ruins the tire. I keep a small compressor in my garage for dealing with those kinds of issues and it works just fine. I've never used a mobility kit.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
It's similar to the M mobility kit that originally came with the E46 M3...it seals the leak from the inside with a glue-type substance, and yes it essentially ruins the tire. I keep a small compressor in my garage for dealing with those kinds of issues and it works just fine. I've never used a mobility kit.
Okay, thanks Tahoe. I think I'll keep a compressor in my car. They are cheap, small, and weigh very little.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
They have them at the tire rack and they provide all the information you need about them. Search for them under products and then tire inflators...

Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by RPVantage
They have them at the tire rack and they provide all the information you need about them. Search for them under products and then tire inflators...
Okay, thanks RP. I already have one in my M5.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
The cool thing about them is that you can use the compressor by itself without using the can.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 AM
The cool thing about them is that you can use the compressor by itself without using the can.
Yep, had to do this this weekend for the BMW. My $60 compressor took my rear tire from flat to full in about 5 minutes. Not bad.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Oh, I see, you were saying that the AM kit is the Continental kit for sale on Tire Rack. Yes, that is the one and it uses a silicone sealant.

I just purchased the following inflator from Auto Sport:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/12v-...e-inflator.cfm

I have one just like it for my BMW and it works well.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3

Just curious, why does it ruin the tire? It can't be patched or plugged? Does it affect the TPMS sensor?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
From my understanding the glue pretty much solidifies on the inside of the tire to seal off any leaks...but can't be removed so it prevents the tire from being patched. As a result, you have to scrap it and get a replacement tire.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 PM
alevine has a spectacular aura aboutalevine has a spectacular aura about
Got it. Thanks. Hopefully I never get a flat but if I do I will call roadside assistance and request a tow.

Adam

Old 05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by alevine
Got it. Thanks. Hopefully I never get a flat but if I do I will call roadside assistance and request a tow.

Adam
. . . or pay $60 and keep a compressor in your trunk. Personally, I don't want somebody towing my car and I'd rather not wait the 2 hours for them to show up!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
AM Dragon Maker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alevine
Just curious, why does it ruin the tire? It can't be patched or plugged? Does it affect the TPMS sensor?

Thanks,
Adam
The can of gunk and compressor have saved my bacon lots of times... and once, even when the gunk was spewing out the hole in the tire, it eventually sealed up and got me home.

I don't think its so much a case of the gunk ruining the tire compound specifically, more like the mass of the gunk when squirted inside putting the wheel / tire significantly out of balance. That and the fact nobody will warrant speed or distance with gunk plugging a hole.
On arrival home or to tire shop, in theory, removal of gunk and plugging hole (if hole is in a position that can be plugged) should be possible - but try cleaning the gunk off tire and rim...! which is why in reality it is easier and perhaps safer to get home on the gunk and renew the tire.

Each to their own I guess - I am a bit fussy about tires whereas there are tales of the brave taking a gunk filled tires to Vmax....

Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Note, as RPVantage also mentioned, you don't need to buy another compressor if you just want to inflate the tyre, the one supplied can be used without the "gunk" (as described in the owners manual).

Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by keitheva
Note, as RPVantage also mentioned, you don't need to buy another compressor if you just want to inflate the tyre, the one supplied can be used without the "gunk" (as described in the owners manual).
Oh, I missed that. Good to know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AM Tire Inflator