Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

TPMS Problem - Opinions Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
TPMS Problem - Opinions Please!

I have HRE wheels on my Vantage, sizes f 19x9, r 19x10, both ET47.

Tires are fr 245-40-19, r 285-35-19.

"Tire system fault" has been on my gauge cluster display since shortly after installing the new setup, with the original TPMS sensors.

The dealer (Grand Touring Toronto) attempted to fix the fault by replacing all sensors and the central module (in that order). Each time, the car could be driven only a few kms without issue, but then the fault message would return.

The dealer said they were stumped and would contact AM. They now say they have spoken with AM and AM is refusing to warranty or fix the fault due to my aftermarket wheels.

I note the following:

OEM standard V8V (my car) wheels = f 8.5 x 19, r 9.5 x 19
OEM standard V8V tires = f 235-40-19, r 275-35-19

New V8V S wheels = f 8.5 x 19, r 10 x 19
New V8V S tires = same size as my new ones

V12V wheels = f 9 x 19, r 11 x 19
V12V tires = f 255-35-19, r 295-30-19

So... my wheels and tire sizes match some of the OEM applications but there is no exact wheel AND tire match to my aftermarket combo.

Does TPMS not work off rotation speed of the wheel? If so, wheel width should not make any difference, right? Presumably tire sizes do matter, as they change overall rolling diameter, but my tire sizes match some OEM applications.

Are the TPMS not other vendor units i.e. not made by Aston? Are they programmed specifically to each model and corresponding tire size?

Basically, I want to know, do any of you call BS on the dealer/AM's position or do you think I should suck it up and accept responsibility for my choice to go aftermarket? I have searched the forum and there are posts (some recent) with people saying they have aftermarket combos and no TPMS problems.

Last note, I could switch back to OEM wheels/tires and swap over the sensors and see if the problem persists - if it did, then they would presumably be stuck fixing it. I was hoping to avoid that but maybe that's the only way to convince them now.

TIA for your advice/opinions...

Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Teflonv8v is on a distinguished road
First id like to say that ive heard of nothing but bad things about Grandtouring so im not surprised they are giving you a had hard time about Tpms sensors. Correct me if im wrong but the TPMS system works independently of the type and manufacturer of your wheels. However, if they want to rule out that the symptom is derived from your aftermarket wheels, then try reinstalling the TPMS sensors on your oem wheels and see if that resolves your issue. Im guessing it wont make a difference. Your Tpms is not partial to any particular wheel.

Did they reinstall the color coded sensors properly?

There was also a service bulletin issued back in 09 to fix the tpms faults.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...6&d=1306766092

You may Want to check out this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ms-resync.html

Old 06-04-2011, 03:20 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the response, Teflon v8v.

Yes, the dealer did install the colour coded sensors properly.

I am not sure if the TPMS works independently of the tire and wheel manufacturer but I would have thought that makes sense as there are so many different tire and wheel combos and AFAIK only a few major TPMS makers such as Smartire.

I will check my TPMS module to see if the light is amber or red, as per the pdf link you referenced.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
It is completely independent of wheel/tire...mine are HRE wheels and Conti tires in completely non-standard sizes and I haven't had any problems. Whoever did your install screwed it up...you need to figure out what they did. I'm guessing they didn't install the sensors properly.

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 06-05-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:32 PM
OK, thanks for confirming it. That would be Grand Touring's problem then. Although the sensors were initially installed by an independent shop, when Grand Touring tried to fix the problem they claim they replaced all the sensors and the central module!