Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What fails when the fuel door gets stuck?

Old 07-31-2011, 01:50 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Both my V8 roadster and my V12 had the issue day 1. My tech fixed each and no problems since. I was led to believe that it was the angle of the catch vs the power of the hydraulic. So I believe that he filed the hook and added a small spring to give resistance. You hear about bugs in every car. Trust me this is no big deal. In fact, some of the things that I have heard from Ferrari owners and even some Porsche's there are a lot of these little issues.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Name:  photo-33.jpg
Views: 1731
Size:  30.7 KB

A little Jig-A-Loo which is the same thing as WD40, worked for me. I doused the release lock and the holding mechanism (where I'm pointing). And it seemed to have cured the sticking gas cap.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM
chirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the roughchirag is a jewel in the rough
^^fixed mine this weekend also, just pushed the gas cap further into the body and it works like a charm now!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
**********UPDATE************** 5/18/12

Got my yearly service and mentioned the gas cap was still sticking to my SA, he took it back into the service tech and they fixed it right away. The door just has to be moved back into the proper place, it was rubbing against the body of the car. The door gets out of place eventually, and has to be adjusted back into place. This is exactly what my SA said/did, he said gently shift the door up back into place... be careful.

Hmmm if it gives me a problem still I will try that.

How are you enjoying your Aston Chirag?

Last edited by CJPatel; 05-19-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Updated information as of 5/18/12
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BLAM
Mine was due to the loose mounting bracket. I wiggled the fuel door while pressing the button at the same time to get it open. Once opened, I tighten the screws on the mounting bracket. It's been good ever since.
I did just this....open the fuel door, and there are two hex bolts that attach the fuel lid hinge.
All you have to do is loosen them and retighten them....did just that and it works fine now.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:52 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Holy thread revival!

This has happened 3 times on my V12 VS!!
I've taken it back to the Newport dealer twice and it still gets stuck!
Guess I'll have to do it myself...

Old 09-24-2014, 01:08 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Vantage Coupe, the hinge is weak, the spring plate is strong. Every close function causes the hinge to straighten out of profile. (when pressing down on lid) then the door profile is biased towards the rear of the opening. Remove the lid/hinge assembly (2x 30 torx) squeeze the spring plate closed with some pliers to take away the spring assist to open. then with suitable Channel lock pliers (medium size) re-profile the hinge slightly by clamping "U" shape of hinge together. 1-2MM should be enough. refit hinge and door to check fit. You need equal distance around the lid to be successful. Painters tape is a good cover around the opening to prevent damage.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Yet again....

Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 PM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
I've had this problem since day 1. Had it at the dealer last year and they did a quick adjustment but it didn't work for long. Have been using a hotel room key card since last summer (no embossing on the card so less chance of scratching the filler door and 0 chance of damaging a much needed credit card).

I must say that it really detracts from any semblance of cool at the pump - but at least I've got it down to an art by now... Swing out of the car, card already in hand. Shove the card into the filler cavity at the 6 o'clock position. Spin around, reach under the dash and activate the release. Spin around again just in time to watch the card flying off into the distance being careful to concentrate on where it lands. Attempt to look cool while on your hands and knees searching for the card. Proceed with the rest of the fueling as if this is a standard process for an exotic vehicle.

I haven't attended to this sooner as I'm 200 mi from the dealer and with scheduling it usually means a hotel overnight (and when you start the trip in an Aston, 4-star accommodation -according to my wife - and a little boutique shopping are mandatory).

Planning its 1 year service in about a month and I'm wondering if I should let the dealer know in advance - does anyone know if they need to order parts (it's a 2014 V8V coupe)?

Thanks

Last edited by AMCan; 04-04-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:37 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Lake Forrest Aston replaced the whole hinged assembly and that fixed the problem. I also had to release it from inside the trunk and then use a credit card to pull up the lid. Not what you want to do with a car of this calibre.
Update: Aston now has a recall on the fuel lid. I took my Aston in to Aston-Marin, CA, for the Seat-heater recall and the service manager told me about Fuel Lid recall. When the Tech checked mine, he said he didn't want to do the Fuel Lid recall because it appeared to work perfectly--I agreed.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 AM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Dicktahoe: who's your contact at Aston Martin Marin?

I've had trouble getting service there as they never called me back the one time I've inquired. I thought they were no longer providing service to Aston.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:33 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by spyder997s
Dicktahoe: who's your contact at Aston Martin Marin?

I've had trouble getting service there as they never called me back the one time I've inquired. I thought they were no longer providing service to Aston.

Matt is their current service manager, very helpful and he was the one that suggested not proceeding with the Fuel Cap recall, since mine worked fine. If it was intermittent, which it wasn't, they would have done the recall.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:32 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
The weird thing is that the fuel lid issue is not just a recall but actually a Quarantine Notice. This means that if a car is brought in to the dealership, it cannot be allowed to leave until the recall action is performed. Seems a bit extreme.

Interestingly, on my 2015 Aston, pressing the fuel release causes the lid to flip open very abruptly. The spring is much stronger than on my previous Astons.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:09 PM
action-ant is on a distinguished road
Just had this done today at Los Gatos Aston Martin. I believe the fuel door springs open a bit stronger now (it's been awhile since I gassed the car up).

Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Going back to dealer for the 4th time to fix the dang fuel door.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What fails when the fuel door gets stuck?