Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What fails when the fuel door gets stuck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM
DrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura about
What fails when the fuel door gets stuck?

I've read that it happens, mine is stuck now. I have no problem working on cars, but have no idea what is failing on it. Is this something I can tackle? I'm guessing one of the flanges is bent or a cable is stretched.

Don't want to take the time to take it to the shop if I can do it myself.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
BLAM is on a distinguished road
Mine was due to the loose mounting bracket. I wiggled the fuel door while pressing the button at the same time to get it open. Once opened, I tighten the screws on the mounting bracket. It's been good ever since.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 PM
350z TT is on a distinguished road
Have you tried to pull it open with something? Not sure if the DB9 has one but I would guess it does, I know the fuel door struts go out pretty often.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:47 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
The tech at Aston used a credit card to pull it up bc it was stuck then try pressing it back in place....believe it!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I gave up and just pop the rear hatch and use the pull. It works every time

Old 07-28-2011, 10:30 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Lake Forrest Aston replaced the whole hinged assembly and that fixed the problem. I also had to release it from inside the trunk and then use a credit card to pull up the lid. Not what you want to do with a car of this calibre.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 350z TT
Have you tried to pull it open with something?
Yeah, try a crowbar.

The Vantage has problems with the gas flap not releasing (as did my V8) and they issued a service bulletin a while back. The short term fix is to open the trunk and pull the manual release cable (behind a carpet panel above the shelf on the driver's side). As stated above, this works, although it's a bit inconvenient.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I used silicone lubricant on the release mechanism and that seemed to help a bit but it never really cured the problem 100%. For whatever reason, how you pushed the button would also seem to help.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 PM
LotusJPS is on a distinguished road
Mine had this problem from day 1 when I bought the car. Had the dealer send me a new gas strut which took me about 5 minutes to install. The new strut is MUCH stiffer than the original one.

Last edited by LotusJPS; 07-28-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Mine has had this problem. The reason is the strut gets bent and then the door gets jammed in. Any undue pressure on the lid can cause this (polishing, waxing, etc). The tech removed the strut and re-aligned it.

If you bring it by Park Place, Vince will usually drop what he's doing and fix it in 5 minutes (if you're still in warranty ).

Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
Started happening to mine when it got warmer out. I will try tightening the screws and putting silicone lubricant on it. Right now I use a credit card to pop it up, kinda funny!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Service bulletin

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fueldoorsticking.pdf (280.3 KB, 1844 views)
Old 07-30-2011, 06:17 PM
astondude is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem a few days ago. The tech said the fuel cap was just a bit off center. So he pushed it forward a little until it caught the latch and opened. Don't force it open but wiggle it a bit and adjust until the cap is in the center. In my case, it could not even work initially when I pulled that white cable in the trunk left corner (pulled the flap open first).

Old 07-30-2011, 06:39 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
According to that service bulletin, it should be replaced but it implies it should be done only on the roadster. Also, even if its ok for the coupes, will the dealership cover out of warranty cars?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CJPatel
According to that service bulletin, it should be replaced but it implies it should be done only on the roadster. Also, even if its ok for the coupes, will the dealership cover out of warranty cars?
I think the reason that procedure only applies to Roadsters is that the filler cap assembly is different from the one used on Coupes. When I look at mine, (MY08) there is no "Strut" that can be removed, and the pivot pin is held in place with a circlip, so it is easy to remove if necessary. There are two springs in the assembly, the one big flat one pushes the cap open when it is released. When mine wouldn't open, the dealer replaced the assembly but retained the cap and installed it on the new assembly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What fails when the fuel door gets stuck?