Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

opening the clamp on the throttle housing db9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Porsche356 is on a distinguished road
opening the clamp on the throttle housing db9

Hi,

Thought it would be nice to clean the throttle houses on my db9. This resulted in great throttle response inprovement on my 911.

Openen the hood of the db9 (2007) and there I saw clambs which I do not know. No screws on there, but an unfamiliar locking mechanism (at least for me). For the first time in my life I have decided not to ruin things before finding out how it should have been done, so.....

Anybody knows how these clambs open? And close again? Do I need a speacial tool for this?

Regarding the cleaning, are there things that I have to pay extra attention to?

Many regards, frank

Old 08-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Perhaps I was a little unclear: I mean the metal ring/clamp holding the rubber hose on the throttle body.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:07 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
I opened mine, it was easy. I think i just used a flat head screw driver to ply open. there was a youtube video with a vantage with the procedure let me find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCyuLNbuMcY

Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the help.

I have found this thread as well. Unfortunately my db9 has a different clamb. Look like the ordinary ones with the screw on it, but unfortunately it does not have a screw.

I am sure that I can get it loose, but tightening it again look a bit unsecure . I will try to take a picture of it.

Regards, frank

Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I removed the clamp on my DB9. I had never seen one of these before either. Unfortunately it's been a while so I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I used a very small flat-bladed scredeive to remove the clamp (that was pretty easy, but a little scary). The real trick was putting it back on.

Once off, you can see how it works and that will help you figure out how to reattach it. I think I used a pair of needle nose pliers and maybe a larger flat bladed screwdriver.

I'm sure these clamps aren't proprietary to Aston, so I suspect there is a tool made specifically to remove/reattach these clamps that you can buy at an auto parts store. Any way, I wouldn't ever remove one again w/o having the right tool. It isn't worth the worry about mangling one.

In the photo, I'm pretty sure I inserted a very small flat blade screwdriver into the 'hole' in the clamp, exactly opposite the 'arrow' that is stamped into the throttle body housing. If inserting the screwdriver from the 'top', you would then turn it clockwise, and if from the bottom, then turn it counter clockwise.

Good luck, and tell us how it turned out.

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Here ya go...

It is called a 'Clic-R' clamp.

Do a search on Amazon for Clic-R and you can buy the correct install/removal tool for $20.

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 08-15-2011 at 10:08 AM.