6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Tire System Fault - won't go away (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/252260-tire-system-fault-wont-go-away.html)

ssaa77 08-15-2011 10:06 AM

Tire System Fault - won't go away

Dash keeps flashing tire system fault each time I start up. Took it to dealer twice and they said they adjusted tire pressure and I should be good to go. But keep seeing the message. Any thoughts? Does it just need to be reset?

Tahoe M3 08-15-2011 11:07 AM

Did you check your tire pressures yourself? The system is pretty sensitive, so if one tire is a little off it will stay lit up. And if you have a slow leak in a tire it will keep coming on as the pressure drops below the threshold.

brumma 08-15-2011 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ssaa77 (Post 3287547)
Dash keeps flashing tire system fault each time I start up. Took it to dealer twice and they said they adjusted tire pressure and I should be good to go. But keep seeing the message. Any thoughts? Does it just need to be reset?

Are you waiting for the system check to complete before you crank the engine? If not, you'll get that message every time.

amv8indc 08-15-2011 12:44 PM

Look in the passenger footwell at the SmartTire device. The lights will tell you which tire is the fault. Go to this thread for the PDF:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ms-resync.html

spinecho 08-16-2011 09:18 AM

See this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ns-please.html

I have had no resolution to date. AMNA has insisted they will not cover this item because of my aftermarket wheels and tires.

What's really frustrating is that I am told you cannot disable the warning. I don't want TPMS on my car (another gizmo to go wrong, foisted on car owners, like radar cruise control or lane departure warning). Can it be disconnected? Yes but, sorry sir, the light will stay on in the instrument cluster. Aaargh!

My OEM wheels/tires are shortly going back on the car, with the sensors to be swapped over, at my expense. If the problem persists, AMNA will then have to look at the car. I will post an update...

Tahoe M3 08-16-2011 09:28 AM

That's pretty silly for them to claim that it's due to the wheels...if you have the TPMS sensors on correctly it doesn't matter what wheels you have. I've had aftermarket wheels on mine for a while now without any problems.

You'll have to swap back to stock wheels to get them to do anything about it. They are probably hoping you will let it go so they won't have to act.

Just like this door lock issue (where they should issue a recall for faulty locks), they are going to try to play dumb or blame it on something else.

amv8indc 08-16-2011 09:28 AM

I have my SmartTire Module unplugged, and it will remove warning. Very simple plug, you can do it in 5 seconds.

In fact, it was unplugged when I received the car, and only realized 5 months later I even had TPMS.

Originally Posted by spinecho (Post 3288660)
See this thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ns-please.html

I have had no resolution to date. AMNA has insisted they will not cover this item because of my aftermarket wheels and tires.

What's really frustrating is that I am told you cannot disable the warning. I don't want TPMS on my car (another gizmo to go wrong, foisted on car owners, like radar cruise control or lane departure warning). Can it be disconnected? Yes but, sorry sir, the light will stay on in the instrument cluster. Aaargh!

My OEM wheels/tires are shortly going back on the car, with the sensors to be swapped over, at my expense. If the problem persists, AMNA will then have to look at the car. I will post an update...

spinecho 08-16-2011 09:35 AM

I have a 2009. Apparently the system is "connected through the CANBUS" as of my model year, and unplugging the module is ineffective. Believe me, I've tried!

amv8indc 08-16-2011 09:37 AM

Sorry about the misinformation!

CTP855 08-24-2011 10:32 AM

I've been stuck in bumper to bumper freeway traffic a few times, where I've had to sit in one one spot for ten or fifteen minutes without moving, and my Tire Fault System message shows up on the dash display. As soon as I start driving for a few miles the message clears. On each occasion I've checked my tire pressure as soon as I get home, and none of the tires were low on air. I'll be going in for my first oil change since I've bought the car, and I'll bring this issue to their attention. I'll let you know what they say?

spinecho 10-03-2011 02:41 PM

Update!

It took me a visit to a different dealership (Decarie, Montreal) to get a straight forward answer to why my TPMS issue was occurring. Naturally, I complied with AMNA's requirement that I switch back to my OEM wheels/tires before my visit, and naturally, it had nothing to do with the problem...

Basically, the old TPMS (Smartire) system fitted to the V8V is a piece of junk. Once you interrupt the connection between wheel sensors and in-car module, the system must be reset at the dealership. In other words, driving the car a few km will not fix it. I was told that even if I bought a second set of sensors, with a set for both for my OEM and aftermarket wheels, the system would require resetting by the dealer EVERY TIME I swapped from OEM to aftermarket wheels, or vice versa. Apparently the new TPMS system used by Aston does not have the same flaw, and WILL reset itself after a few km. I'm not sure when Aston started using the new system.

What a joke...

XJRS Owner 10-03-2011 03:30 PM

There are off the shelf TPMS reset tools that allow you to swap wheels at will. Just do a search. They aren't very expensive.

Irish07@VelocityAP 10-04-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by spinecho (Post 3331030)
It took me a visit to a different dealership (Decarie, Montreal) to get a straight forward answer to why my TPMS issue was occurring. Naturally, I complied with AMNA's requirement that I switch back to my OEM wheels/tires before my visit, and naturally, it had nothing to do with the problem...

Basically, the old TPMS (Smartire) system fitted to the V8V is a piece of junk. Once you interrupt the connection between wheel sensors and in-car module, the system must be reset at the dealership. In other words, driving the car a few km will not fix it. I was told that even if I bought a second set of sensors, with a set for both for my OEM and aftermarket wheels, the system would require resetting by the dealer EVERY TIME I swapped from OEM to aftermarket wheels, or vice versa. Apparently the new TPMS system used by Aston does not have the same flaw, and WILL reset itself after a few km. I'm not sure when Aston started using the new system.

What a joke...

Yep, that's pretty much how I said it..so how's ur aligment, was it good?? never heard any input ..:)

Irish07@VelocityAP 10-04-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by XJRS Owner (Post 3331091)
There are off the shelf TPMS reset tools that allow you to swap wheels at will. Just do a search. They aren't very expensive.

I've never heard of it, would make my job easier!! I doubt it will work though for pre-2011 Aston's which use there own stand alone module for tpms. 2011+ Aston switch'd to the Beru system, not available yet though on V12V and DBS which still use the SmartTire system, SmartTire system isn't to bad, just the main fault of no auto learn is the lack of antenna's or initiators..

Most auto learn systems use these 4 antenna's or initiators over each wheel(1 per wheel), when the tpms module whats to check the rhf wheel it send the request to the initiator or antenna ans this activates the sensor within a few feet..aka the rhf tpm sensor...

Aston SmartTire system has only 1 antenna and that's in the SmartTire module inside the...there's no way of knowing the tpm ID's and locations unless programmed manually. Once programmed you can at the most rotate the wheels,..more than this and you loose the ID's stored in the SmartTire module and back to the dealership to solve the flashing tpms light to restore the ID's/location..

Aston now is phasing out the SmartTire system to the new Beru system which indeed has antenna's at all wheels, so the auto learn is now available for the module to pin point which wheel is needed to learn..system is really new so I don't have much more info on it yet..I know ppl will ask if it's adaptive/retro-fit-able to the SmartTire system vehicle, no it is not unless Aston made a kit with all the wiring and hardware+software..aka not a chance, it would be cheaper just to fix your own concern/fault with the SmartTire system versus converting...

Hope this helps for understanding Aston's tpms a little more indepth..

spinecho 10-04-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by XJRS Owner (Post 3331091)

That would be very helpful! ....do you happen to know for a fact that they work with the Smartire system on Astons?