Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Glass key for 08 V8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
With the glass key, would one be able to leave the key in the car? In the ignition?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Alright, I'm very confused.
Can someone post pics of the various "keys" and "fobs"?
My '08 has a crap Volvo fob with buttons and is tethered to a nice Aston Martin key.
I know what an ECU looks like.
What is the "plastic key" you are talking about?
What is the "glass key"?
What is a "glass fob"?

For the record, while I love my '08, I do regret that I missed out on the 4.7 AND the ECU. I really dislike the cheap key/fob. What I'd really like is a fob in my pocket and a push button (like a Prius). The ECU is just a variation on this concept and I personally find it pretty damn slick.

I'm shopping for an '09 or later...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by IbisRider
Alright, I'm very confused.
Can someone post pics of the various "keys" and "fobs"?
My '08 has a crap Volvo fob with buttons and is tethered to a nice Aston Martin key.
I know what an ECU looks like.
What is the "plastic key" you are talking about?
What is the "glass key"?
What is a "glass fob"?

For the record, while I love my '08, I do regret that I missed out on the 4.7 AND the ECU. I really dislike the cheap key/fob. What I'd really like is a fob in my pocket and a push button (like a Prius). The ECU is just a variation on this concept and I personally find it pretty damn slick.

I'm shopping for an '09 or later...
Sry, I cant post pics from work..

Fob is a remote..

Glass Key, Glass Fob..same thing when refering to Aston Martin, only availible on 2009+ vehicles that use ECU style keys. "Fob" is another term for remote. We throw around the word "keys" on 2009+ vehicles, just there is no "key" for the ignition, it's a remote with the ignition code chip inside. The only "key" for a 2009+ vehile is a metal key for the door barrel locks incase the battery runs flat, you can use the metal key to manually unlock the door barrel and get inside the car.
On 2009+ vehicle, there is a glass key fob and a plastic key fob..usually owner would use the glass key due to teh high price cost of the key, and when giving vehile to a valet for parking, you would give then the cheaper plastic key..if the glass key drops, CRACK!!..$$$$$, if the plastic key drops, just pick it up and dust it off(no it's not waterproof)..there the same shape and size, just look different

2005-2008 vehicles had a actual ignition key and a volvo style remote(the Fob), the fob was bastardised into Aston's version with a leather backing.

All remotes or "fobs" from 2005 onwards on the VH platform (DB9/S, V8V/S) share the same circuit board. When the vehicle looses the key codes for whatever reason, they are not auto learned, there is a series of numbers/letters supplied at time of purchase when new to the authorised dealer in a plastic clear package. thee numbers are important, if lost...Fob becomes a dead paper weight.

The volvo style remote bastardised fob is cheaper in price when compared to teh ECU style fobs...when the key codes are lost and no store copy is found...key must be replaced with a new unit..the work around for a ECU style key is order the volvo style fob and swap the internals to help save on cost of a new ECU style key...just i remebered today the Glass ECU style fob, it's so simple to swap internals..so the easy way with a Glass style fob would be to buy a new center sub core section and swap it out

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 09-25-2013, 11:53 PM
1REDDVL is on a distinguished road
315MHz Glass Fobs on Ebay

I've seen a couple of listings for pairs of new/unopened Glass FOB keys [EBay UK] for under $800 [or around 499GBP]. Since I don't need 2 keys, would anyone in the US be interested in splitting the cost? They are the appropriate 315MHz for US Cars.

Oh - and anyone know if this is a good idea or even legit?

Old 09-26-2013, 05:13 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^^AM Bits has new keys for $500 if you can't find someone to split with you. Still better than what AM charges.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by irish07
Sry bud, just thought of something..the swapping of the internal is only for the Plastic keys..For the glass key, you cannot open the internal case to swap out the circuit board easily like on the pastic keys...You would have to either cut the plastic seam for it is glued, swap internals and then apply some kind of shim to the backing so the case is not loose in the surround...or buy a new SUB key which is the internal case with circuirt board from Aston part#
9G43-19H479-AA 315MHz(USA/CAN/JPN/Federal)

My dealer quotes the following:

$859.634 for that part, the sub key
$961 for the whole glass key

Not good. But thanks anyway.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:49 PM
1REDDVL is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Racer_X
^^^AM Bits has new keys for $500 if you can't find someone to split with you. Still better than what AM charges.
Good to know - Thanks!

Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 PM
courtier is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by irish07
The volvo style remote bastardised fob is cheaper in price when compared to teh ECU style fobs...when the key codes are lost and no store copy is found...key must be replaced with a new unit..the work around for a ECU style key is order the volvo style fob and swap the internals to help save on cost of a new ECU style key...just i remebered today the Glass ECU style fob, it's so simple to swap internals..so the easy way with a Glass style fob would be to buy a new center sub core section and swap it out
Irish,

I have lead on a very affordable set of crystal and plastic keys for an AM. The catch is they don't come with codes. But based on your suggestion about swapping internals, I decided to take apart my (working) crystal key and plastic key last night to see how easy (or hard) it would be to take apart the ones I would potentially buy and then swap with Volvo internals. The plastic I was able to figure out pretty straightforward. But the crystal key is a bit more involved and I'm afraid I've hit an obstacle.

I removed the 2 tiny screws which hold the steel outer shell in place. From there I (carefully) slid the internal bits sideways out of the frame. I removed the six even smaller screws which provide access to the key's battery, but now I'm not sure how to proceed further. Is there another hidden set of screws holding the inner plastic shell around the circuit board? Is there a designated point to pry open the inner shell (as there is with the plastic key)? Given the expense of these keys I'm hesitant to force anything or proceed without some clear guidance.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Okay, IRISH07, since my attempt to clean my plastic Emotion Key via the washing machine, for my '12 rendered it unworkable, I am going to buy Volvo part #30772198 from the dealer and retain all the paperwork. I'll swap the guts and then bring it to the local AMD for full programming. Is that correct? Thanks for ALL you contribute here.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aerome
Okay, IRISH07, since my attempt to clean my plastic Emotion Key via the washing machine, for my '12 rendered it unworkable, I am going to buy Volvo part #30772198 from the dealer and retain all the paperwork. I'll swap the guts and then bring it to the local AMD for full programming. Is that correct? Thanks for ALL you contribute here.
Dammit, just wrote up a whole thing on the android forum app...and post is nowhere to be found...

Yes you can do that, just keep the whole package for the A.M dealer and they won't have a problem..believe that's the same part number of my spare remote I have, I always get one for a 2005 S40 and it works..new Volvo remotes aren't expensive so if the price is too inflated, I have a brand new spare I could sell, just it would be shipped from Canada..hehe so you might have to wait like 3-4 weeks for it to arrive which don't think it's worth it on your end

Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Aerome is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Best price I got on a spare plastic remote from AM was $425 US. The Volvo remote is less than $100. Of course, both need programming. Is a a shiny new case worth $325? Well maybe, but it's only new for a short while .

Old 01-26-2015, 04:58 PM
francoisdelfosse is on a distinguished road
hello,
i know your post is pretty old, but i am trying to convert my car into a push in console remote type.
at the time you posted "if you bought everything to try and convert an older style turn key unit to a newer push in console remote type."
could you tell what exactly is everything?
what do we need to completely convert the car.
i already have the following:
Glass Key,Key reader, Key reader carrier, Key bezel (engine start), Ski slope trim panel.
but i am concerned about the key bezel used with the manual key.
do i have run some wires from the steering column to the new button?
I would really appreciate your help on this.
thanks.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:06 PM
Tommy D is on a distinguished road
There are a couple of small pouches on eBay that work perfectly with my ECU - one for the glorious price of $3.00 (free shipping) and another upgrade for $9.00 for the venerated glass key (also free shipping). Paying $175 for the AM pouch is insanity.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:34 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Revising an old post. I was thinking of getting another glass key for my 13 Vantage. AM bits has attractive prices for these. Mine being a US car, which frequency does it use? If I buy one can it be programmed for use in my car without affecting the use of my two other keys, one glass and one plastic?

Old 03-20-2016, 02:28 PM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by francoisdelfosse
hello,
i know your post is pretty old, but i am trying to convert my car into a push in console remote type.
at the time you posted "if you bought everything to try and convert an older style turn key unit to a newer push in console remote type."
could you tell what exactly is everything?
what do we need to completely convert the car.
i already have the following:
Glass Key,Key reader, Key reader carrier, Key bezel (engine start), Ski slope trim panel.
but i am concerned about the key bezel used with the manual key.
do i have run some wires from the steering column to the new button?
I would really appreciate your help on this.
thanks.
Yes it can be done, one of our French club member has done it on his 4.3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Glass key for 08 V8V