Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wrong oil installed by dealer!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Fubar has a spectacular aura aboutFubar has a spectacular aura about
I suspect you are overthinking this issue. From what I have read here as well as some fuel/oil related forums, you really want to run a thiner oil (as long as it maintains the proper oil pressure). The thinner oil has better penetration properties and will lubricate metal-on-metal friction points faster than the thicker options.

I change the oil at about twice the recommended interval (myself) and always use the TWS. I believe it is a better oil than the Edge, but that is strickly based on light internet reading. I also added a 90lbs natural magnet to the filter to catch EVERYTHING that goes throught there. Nothing out of the ordinary yet.

For the price Aston charges, you have every right to demand the most expensive oil on the planet but from a practical standpoint, you have nothing to worry about. Have fun, burn the tires off of that beast and don't give it a second thought!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:28 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by irish07
If you mean the Castrol TWS or Castrol Edge Professional ..it's the same oil, just the name was changed/replaced by Castrol ..the latest name is actually combined.. "Castol Edge Professional TWS 10W60"

So what did the dealer sell you?
Irish-- Do you know anything about this referenced Service Bulletin in a previous post, OKing the use of 0-40 Mobil 1? (or anything other than 10W60) in a V8V?
"0W40 Mobil 1 is fine even in hot weather. AM initially recommended 10W60 but they released a service bulletin 2 years ago to give the OK for 0W40 Mobil 1, which most AM dealers use today. I don't have the service bulletin but you have nothing to sweat about."

Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
If you mean the Castrol TWS or Castrol Edge Professional ..it's the same oil, just the name was changed/replaced by Castrol ..the latest name is actually combined.. "Castol Edge Professional TWS 10W60"

So what did the dealer sell you?
The BMW shop went to the dealer and picked up the oil, filter and bolt/washer kit. (what a joke..... 50 bucks! )

the oil was castrol 10-60 Edge Sport. the oil that came in the trunk of the car when i bought it, was Castol TWS 10-60

Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XWCGT
The BMW shop went to the dealer and picked up the oil, filter and bolt/washer kit. (what a joke..... 50 bucks! )

the oil was castrol 10-60 Edge Sport. the oil that came in the trunk of the car when i bought it, was Castol TWS 10-60
Ok, well if it is "Edge Sport" with an Aston sticker...then the dealer gets there oil from Aston in Gaydon UK versus locally..In N.A we can't get the original oil which is Castrol Formula RS 10w60, which name was then changed to "Edge Sport 10w60" ...In N.A we could not get this oil and sourced the TWS fluid as the same thing from Castrol per there reps(only way to get the Edge Sport was through Aston but customs and duty made it useless when TWS was locally)..if you would like to look deeper, AML actually made a bulletin about this issue back in 2006 (Policy Letter: 0280)

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-06-2013, 11:21 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Ok, well if it is "Edge Sport" with an Aston sticker...then the dealer gets there oil from Aston in Gaydon UK versus locally..In N.A we can't get the original oil which is Castrol Formula RS 10w60, which name was then changed to "Edge Sport 10w60" ...In N.A we could not get this oil and sourced the TWS fluid as the same thing from Castrol per there reps(only way to get the Edge Sport was through Aston but customs and duty made it useless when TWS was locally)..if you would like to look deeper, AML actually made a bulletin about this issue back in 2006 (Policy Letter: 0280)
interesting.....so, the oil is ok... thats the most important thing.
Now, however, i would think that using the better oil like a redline 10-60 would be better, but ive been told that if you ever want to sell the car, you better be convincing that the oil you have been using is the castrol.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XWCGT
interesting.....so, the oil is ok... thats the most important thing.
Now, however, i would think that using the better oil like a redline 10-60 would be better, but ive been told that if you ever want to sell the car, you better be convincing that the oil you have been using is the castrol.
Not saying Redline is not a bad choice, I've used it..luv it..But where big money is involved like F1 or Nascar..is Redline in the engine?
AML racing team that run the V8's for GT4 are using 2 oils... Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 and Shell Helix Ultra 10W-60...again no Redline

Sure Redline claims the extra power and so do magazines, ppl, shows, dyno's, but if you had a chance to get an extra 3hp(wtv they claim) for switching to Redline and were on the pole of a race..even if Mobil 1 was on your car...wouldn't you change..I mean who would know right? ........yet they don't..hmmm..makes my mind ponder about this at least

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Not saying Redline is not a bad choice, I've used it..luv it..But where big money is involved like F1 or Nascar..is Redline in the engine?
AML racing team that run the V8's for GT4 are using 2 oils... Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 and Shell Helix Ultra 10W-60...again no Redline

Sure Redline claims the extra power and so do magazines, ppl, shows, dyno's, but if you had a chance to get an extra 3hp(wtv they claim) for switching to Redline and were on the pole of a race..even if Mobil 1 was on your car...wouldn't you change..I mean who would know right? ........yet they don't..hmmm..makes my mind ponder about this at least
I do race and have quite a bit of experience testing oils on engines prone to blow. mobil 1 would fail pressure tests at 260F temps. amsoil and redline would work. the problem with manufacturer endorsements, is that they are monetary related and might not reflect the best product.
However, Ive heard good things about the Castrol, so why not... and im not racing the AMv8 ether..... or maybe just a track day every once in a while.