Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Debating a DBS vs V12 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:42 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
What kind of driving experience do you want? Sporty or GT cruise?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jaymoney
I had a deposit on DBS that I eventually transitioned to a V12V. The V12V is no doubt more fun to drive. I would agree that the DBS is better looking but it is really splitting hairs. As far as the components, the V12V is more DBS than V8V. The interior, engine and brakes are the same. The Vantage platform is more performance oriented, the DBS is definitely more of a GT. Neither of these things are negative. if you have any interest in open air driving, the DBS is the way to go. If you want a manual, there will be many less DBS to choose from. The auto in most DBS is fine, but it can't be confused with a manual paddle shift. It won't be as fun. As far as value, there is no way the V12V will depreciate the way the DBS has. Keep in mind, the DBS came into production in 07. There have been no remarkable changes to push it forward. The V12V has 2 years in the US in very limited numbers. Check DuPont Registry and Auto trader. There 5 times as many DBS available. With a starting figure at nearly 300K, many more cars and years on the books, you will get a better deal on a DBS. Now, here's a subjective thought. I know that I drive my car to enjoy the road. I'm sure the other V12 guys will tell you that they do the same. My friends with DBS do a little more "tooling" around. So you may find that there are DBS in garages with less mileage. The owners may share time between it and 2-3 other exotics. In my case, the V12V is my only top-line car so it gets all of the love so to speak. I have kept my eye out for a used Vert at a deal and the prices are getting close. No matter what you choose, you will love the car. You just have to be honest in terms of your driving intentions.
I agree with you that a v12 vantage will depreciate less than a NEW DBS, but my thinking is that depreciation will probably be quite similar in buying a new V12 Vantage and buying a used 2010 DBS with 2k miles on it for around 175-180 from the date of purchase forward...

Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nyc123
I agree with you that a v12 vantage will depreciate less than a NEW DBS, but my thinking is that depreciation will probably be quite similar in buying a new V12 Vantage and buying a used 2010 DBS with 2k miles on it for around 175-180 from the date of purchase forward...
I agree. Now is a great time to buy a used DBS.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
No it won't. First year depreciation is always much higher percentage wise. So the V12V will lose considerably more dollar wise than a 2 year old DBS bought for the same initial price as the new V12V. After your first year of ownership, the now 3-year old DBS will easily be worth more than the 1-year old V12V.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Good thread.... I like the GT duty for the Aston, so I would have to say DBS but then again the db9 and DBS are quite similar, even clarkson said something to that effect on top gear... if you want performance, I mean all out performance in a road car, skip am altogether and get yourself a Porsche gt2rs and call it a day!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 AM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
No it won't. First year depreciation is always much higher percentage wise. So the V12V will lose considerably more dollar wise than a 2 year old DBS bought for the same initial price as the new V12V. After your first year of ownership, the now 3-year old DBS will easily be worth more than the 1-year old V12V.
I understand how cars depreciate I have owned enough of them, but there are other factors here such as lower production of the v12 vantage lower initial price etc. I dont have a crystal ball but my opinion and my opinion only if I buy a 2010 DBS w/ a 280 stick for 170 today vs paying 190 for a new v12 vantage, and go to sell both in 2 yrs, I dont think the amount of $$$ lost from purchase price will be all that different on the 2 cars......just my opinion....

Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
I understand how cars depreciate I have owned enough of them, but there are other factors here such as lower production of the v12 vantage lower initial price etc. I dont have a crystal ball but my opinion and my opinion only if I buy a 2010 DBS w/ a 280 stick for 170 today vs paying 190 for a new v12 vantage, and go to sell both in 2 yrs, I dont think the amount of $$$ lost from purchase price will be all that different on the 2 cars......just my opinion....
Maybe you're right. But that 1st year hit is pretty brutal.

Regardless of all that, the DBS is the car to get.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM
adozenpistons is on a distinguished road
My opinion, for what it is worth:

The DBS is definitely the supercar. The CF body work, active suspension, brake ducts, carbon composite inside the chassis, it's the whole package. That being said, it still drives like a sporty GT. It will be more poised on a track, especially one that has some "character" (bumps and bruises) and will be much more user friendly on a long road trip. They can be bought used in very nice shape for similar money to a new V12V.

All of that said, the V12V will write it's own page in Aston Martin history books. I think, moving forward, it will be one of the most sought after Astons ever built. They have not hardly depreciated at all, and there is no used market for them because no one will sell theirs. Many people have traded in their DBS to purchase a V12V and have no intention on ever selling. The V12V is raw, unlike any other Aston (arguably ever). The lines of the Vantage, to me, are timelessly sporting and the V12V is the ultimate version there. The suspension is definitely stiffer than the DBS, but it is a sports car. And while there are probably 1500 or so DBSs on the ground in the US, there are probably less than 300 total V12Vs. And I don't think V12V production is long for this world, which will make it one of the most limited modern day Astons as well.

So, the question would be, do you want the more pleasant car to drive (comfort), the car revered (at least by the company) as their flagship, and one that is sure to turn many heads... or do you want the naughty girl, the one that no one thought Aston would ever build, the one that will be hoarded by collectors and hold the spot as Aston's top performance cars for at least a few more years to come. And as an aside, call me crazy, I don't ever see the V12V dipping below $90k or so. I think it will be Aston's Ford GT, the one that discredits the typical exotic-depreciation stigma.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:26 PM
2 year old V12Vs are down to $120K in the UK, so they certainly depreciate just like any other Aston Martin. They may end up holding their value a little better than the DBS, but they won't be like the Ford GT...not a chance in hell.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I don't think the V12V is like the GT either, but $120k sounds low. I'm on PistonHeads often and, near as I can tell, £90k +/- seems to be the going rate for a used V12V, which translates to around $140k.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by adozenpistons
I think it will be Aston's Ford GT, the one that discredits the typical exotic-depreciation stigma.
I love the V12V, and would happily trade in my V8V for one at some point....that being said, the only car I would consider more is the Ford GT....the only issue is that they are more expensive than they were new.

I do not see the V12V as becoming a modern classic and gaining value like the GT. As was already stated, they have depreciated quite a bit in England where they have a couple years on us.

You can not go wrong with either, get in them both and go with your heart.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:26 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
As far as pricing goes, I can post Manhiem if you want.

But I vote V12v.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I don't think the V12V is like the GT either, but $120k sounds low. I'm on PistonHeads often and, near as I can tell, £90k +/- seems to be the going rate for a used V12V, which translates to around $140k.
I can't multiply....there are several in the UK for around $125-$130K (2009 models). If they sell new in the UK for the same as here, then we're talking about $60K plus in 2 years. Not a Ford GT, that's for sure.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I think the notion that a DBS is "better" or "superior" to a V12V is rather absurd. They are very similar cars in all of the important ways -- basic engineering, structure, suspension design and, of course, engine. The interiors are very similar (except for the potential back seat in a DBS). Looks are fantastic either way. They are quite different from a personality perspective -- they have different characters. Personally, I prefer the Vantage, but it's just a personal preference. Drive them and see which you prefer.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:49 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
Anyone see this? They just dropped the price....wonder why they can't sell it? Is the red too ugly?

http://www.astonmartinnewportbeach.c...S00601?remls=1

Is it true that the v12v suspension is too harsh for everyday driving compared the the v8v? I haven't had the chance to test out the v12v.

Last edited by irvineboy; 01-29-2015 at 11:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Debating a DBS vs V12 Vantage