Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New to me 2011 Vantage Roadster, Clutch Engagement Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 06:54 PM
SMLDAM is an unknown quantity at this point
New to me 2011 Vantage Roadster, Clutch Engagement Question

Hi all,

I just took delivery of a 2011 Vantage Roadster with 22k miles. It is my first single clutch automated manual. I am noticing a fair amount of roll-back when engaging from stop on medium grade slope, I would guess 3 or so feet before the clutch really engages. I am also smelling some clutch as well. Is this normal? I have tried the clutch alignment trick (start without A/C and wait 10 sec before engaging) but did not hear any noise at end of 10 seconds so not sure if alignment is happening.

Any feedback would be great as I want to report any deficiencies to the independent dealer seller ASAP. Unfortunately there is no AM dealer anywhere close to me.

Old 06-27-2021, 07:22 AM
Marmot is an unknown quantity at this point
I do not have the automated manual, but I do still have the single plate clutch in my 6 speed traditional manual (just about 30K). The clutch will pull on letting up the peddle without any throttle on level ground without stalling. I do not think what yours is doing is normal, I would certainly not expect to get the hot clutch odor either, that would certainly make me curious. I think you can have the wear and throw measured with the diagnostic computer at a dealer but I'm not certain the Foxwell or other non dealer diagnostics can do that. Best of luck!

Old 06-27-2021, 08:34 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
On a slope, all perfectly normal. Use your left foot on the brake pedal to hold position on a hill so you can apply throttle with your right foot. When you feel the car wanting to move, ease you foot off the brake and away you go with no roll back.

Old 06-27-2021, 02:49 PM
Ganz is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the 2011 ASM a well and I always drive with the paddle shifters. I had the same experience as you did as I was getting used to the car. The roll back is normal and I think the clutch smell is due to the fact that you terrified of the roll back and stepping on the gas and trying to get out of there, like bat out of hell. At least I used to do that.
But over time I got used to the right amount of throttle. I just give enough to stop the backward motion initially and then modulate it to move forward. It took a me a few months to not even think about it anymore. I suggest you get on a slope (with no traffic) and practice. You will get the hang of it.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:28 AM
SMLDAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Thx for this feedback. I had the car looked at by my independent mechanic. He has some experience with older single clutch transmissions. He had the same opinion. I have a McLaren 570 as well. Night and day difference in transmission operation.

I am sure I will learn to adapt!