Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Sump Plugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
Vantage Sump Plugs

Part of the outrageous charge for my recent 2nd year service of my 2009 Vantage was the cost of $23/each for the three sump plugs. This is the first experience on any car where you replace the plug vice the crush washer/gasket. I am not sure if it possible to just replace the rubber o-ring on the sump plug, but I have looked at a online parts catalog for jaguar and they seem to use what looks visually the same plug. I was thinking I would buy one to verify but wondered if anyone else has already researched this. The Jag plug seem to be around $8/each and since Lincoln used the same Jag engine in the LS, Ford may be a source.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The Aston V8V sump plug and LR/Jag plugs are the same size and thread..they are different color and the little o-ring is slightly thicker on the Jag plug(have no clue if this will cause a difference)..we are a Aston/Bentley/Jag/LR dealership..I've always used the Aston sump plugs for Astons, even though we could probably use the Jag plug and charge the Aston price..we don't..it's just loyalty

Anyone can go to WalMart or local parts place to pick up a generic plug if they wish to save..anyone can even do that for the filter..anyone can even take it to other places than the dealer to save..none the less, ppl take there Aston Martins to the dealer to get Aston certified ppl to work on there cars with Aston certified parts..hope I don't come off in the wrong way after saying all this..but it is what it is

Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 AM
droffsite will become famous soon enough
Having just spent $50 for a new oil filter (presumably the media is made of papyrus from reeds harvested in Xanadu)... Which non-Aston filter would fit a V8? The only filters I found in the catalogs at the parts store were for Vantages from the 70's.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by droffsite
Having just spent $50 for a new oil filter (presumably the media is made of papyrus from reeds harvested in Xanadu)... Which non-Aston filter would fit a V8? The only filters I found in the catalogs at the parts store were for Vantages from the 70's.
I never tried any other filters.....but i would guess any Jaguar V8 filter might fit.....again never tried....

Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
I contemplated that when I was looking. I guess now that I've ordered an OEM filter, I can pick up a Jag-compatible filter and eyeball them next to each other. Looks like Fram PH9010 is the right one for an XK-8. Just ordered one of those ($11.50 shipped); we shall see.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I do not see the sump plug as anything magical, I am not talking about using a generic cam shaft. The plug has a magnetic tip and keeps the oil in the engine nothing more. If the Jag part is the same part at 1/3 of the cost why not use it? The oil filer and the thermostat is the same part in a different box this is most likely the same.

Twenty five years ago I was a Porsche Tech, I rebuilt more 911 and 356 engines than I can recall. I have a lift, air, air tools, and almost everything I need to maintain my cars with the exception of AMDS.

I have maintained all my cars for over thirty years including a number of Porsches and others including a few frame up restorations. I would rather take the time to do the work myself with not time constraints knowing it is done properly than drive 2+ hours each way to the dealer and have him charge me $1,500 for an oil change and pollen filter replacement.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by millsjq
I do not see the sump plug as anything magical, I am not talking about using a generic cam shaft. The plug has a magnetic tip and keeps the oil in the engine nothing more. If the Jag part is the same part at 1/3 of the cost why not use it? The oil filer and the thermostat is the same part in a different box this is most likely the same.

Twenty five years ago I was a Porsche Tech, I rebuilt more 911 and 356 engines than I can recall. I have a lift, air, air tools, and almost everything I need to maintain my cars with the exception of AMDS.

I have maintained all my cars for over thirty years including a number of Porsches and others including a few frame up restorations. I would rather take the time to do the work myself with not time constraints knowing it is done properly than drive 2+ hours each way to the dealer and have him charge me $1,500 for an oil change and pollen filter replacement.
Totally agree with your reasoning. +1

Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Now that I am home and checked my receipts I recall why I was so upset, I was charged $42 per plug for a total $126! For what appears to be $15 worth of Jag parts, I understand paying a premium but 800% is a bit much.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Millsjq, you now understand why some call them "stealers".

Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Got my eBay Aston filter kit (not sure if I'm allowed to say from whom): $68 shipped with a filter, two o-rings, and a new sump plug. The included invoice indicates that I got most of the stuff for 40% off ($23 each for the filter and plug, instead of $35 or so). Also got a Fram PH9010 filter ($11 delivered; this is the recommended filter for an '06 Jaguar XK-8). Looks to me like it should work fine (and I can even find one at the local parts store). I'll be doing my oil change soon, then I'll know for sure. If anyone is interested, I'll post the results.

Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 PM
111R is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AMFixer
I never tried any other filters.....but i would guess any Jaguar V8 filter might fit.....again never tried....
That is what I used after reading this thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...st-dealer.html

Walked into the Jag dealer and asked for the oil filter for the 4.2L V8 (which AM sourced before it grew to 4.3L by them). Perfect fit.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by droffsite
Got my eBay Aston filter kit (not sure if I'm allowed to say from whom): $68 shipped with a filter, two o-rings, and a new sump plug. The included invoice indicates that I got most of the stuff for 40% off ($23 each for the filter and plug, instead of $35 or so). Also got a Fram PH9010 filter ($11 delivered; this is the recommended filter for an '06 Jaguar XK-8). Looks to me like it should work fine (and I can even find one at the local parts store). I'll be doing my oil change soon, then I'll know for sure. If anyone is interested, I'll post the results.
I am interested for the results as am looking to do the same in the next week or two.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM
The Fram filter screwed on and fits fine. Now if I can just figure out where to put the copper washer...

Old 02-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
copper washer is for the oil can drain plug

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM
The 13mm hex-head bolt with a built-in rubber washer? Didn't see a copper washer on the old one that came out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage Sump Plugs