Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What can I expect from an ECU reprogram?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by maroli
GMG racing is a very well-known outfit . For Porsches, though.
Ya I checked out their site to see if they happen to market a set of Ti tips for the Vantage, just to see what it would look like. No dice though, must've been a one off.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 AM
GWV8V is on a distinguished road
Vergis - how would you compare the VT titanium to other exhausts you tried/listened to (e.g. QS, RSC and Capristo) in terms of:
- Volume level at low/medium/high revs?
- Depth/gutsiness?
- Hp/torque increase?
- Daily driveability?

Has the entire exhaust now turned blue?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Vergis - how would you compare the VT titanium to other exhausts you tried/listened to (e.g. QS, RSC and Capristo) in terms of:
- Volume level at low/medium/high revs? Right side of healthy - not too aggressive
- Depth/gutsiness? Deep. Sounds more like a V8
- Hp/torque increase? Better throttle response. More torques then HP
- Daily driveability? Not a problem. Feels lighter because lost nearly 20kg in weight.

Has the entire exhaust now turned blue? Nope just on a few bends here and there.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
For me the Eurocharged tune made a massive difference on the top end ( 40 crank HP in peak power), that's pretty impressive for an otherwise stock car.

The dyno of my car is on their website. Final gains were 31.4 HP @ wheels and added 300rpm boost to redline (much needed). The mid range was improved as well, but doesn't expect much below 3000rpm. 4000+ it was a totally different animal, not to mention Eurocharged can now send you the ECU tuning cable and you can tune your own car in your driveway with your own laptop anytime you want. All retunes as 100% free too.

Give them a ring, they should be able to get it done quickly.

I will be taking my vantage S to them as soon as I get it. I am curious to see how much more lower they can squeeze out of the already more powerful Vantage S.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
For me the Eurocharged tune made a massive difference on the top end ( 40 crank HP in peak power), that's pretty impressive for an otherwise stock car.

So this was a 40 hp increase with just the ECU tune on a stock car with no other changes like cats?

If so, what would you predict for a car with headers, casts, exhaust?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AstonAddict
So this was a 40 hp increase with just the ECU tune on a stock car with no other changes like cats?

If so, what would you predict for a car with headers, casts, exhaust?
Cats - 20hp at the wheel
Exhaust - 3-5hp at the wheel (top)
Headers - from what I read, 40hp at the crank

Old 02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Their web site states 23 WHP at their elevated red line
The transmission loses are not going to high enough to give 40 BHP
They achieve the gains from 3 things
1 tune for higher octane fuel - AM ship the vantage tuned to run well on lower octane fuel
2 increase the rev limit - I know I don't feel happy reving out in every gear
3 lean the air/fuel ratio out - the AM engineers I discussed this with don't like it as they found cats and valves over heating followed by signifant engine damage

The back box makes little difference
Headers and 200 cell cats make the biggest difference followed by the N400 air boxes
You are then limited by the throttle body size

Old 02-09-2013, 10:03 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mikey k
3 lean the air/fuel ratio out - the AM engineers I discussed this with don't like it as they found cats and valves over heating followed by signifant engine damage
Interesting, but I do not agree. I spoke with the chief engineer around the (too rich) AFR and he told me it was overly safe. When I asked if there would be any concern in getting the AFR around 12.5, he told me no issues whatsoever and that the engine and internals are bullet proof. Only difference would be more power as they had left a substantial amount on the table.

Going with items like the 200 cell cats and manifolds lean the car out on their own and that's where a lot of the power comes from as shown on my pre and post dynos.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:26 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
As we know AFR of 12.5:1 is optimum for max HP at WOT. Then 14.7:1 is usually chosen as optimum for Cruise. Some curves I've seen after an ECU re-program show AFR to be higher than 15:1 at cruise and this creates an Oxygen rich environment--Not Good.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 PM
AstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the roughAstonAddict is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
Interesting, but I do not agree. I spoke with the chief engineer around the (too rich) AFR and he told me it was overly safe. When I asked if there would be any concern in getting the AFR around 12.5, he told me no issues whatsoever and that the engine and internals are bullet proof. Only difference would be more power as they had left a substantial amount on the table.

Going with items like the 200 cell cats and manifolds lean the car out on their own and that's where a lot of the power comes from as shown on my pre and post dynos.
So what happens when you add cats, headers, airboxes on top of the ECU tune? Does it add more power still? In doing so does it push the engine too much to where it may have reliability issues?

Or is it perfectly safe and not additionally effective?

Does anybody really know?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74

I'd be interested to know who that was
I know a fair few of the current and ex factory engineers
I've had a few discussions with a few of then about this as part of my 5.0 conversion vs SC contemplations
The consensus form the AM guys was the AFR is conservative BUT leaning it out too much has often resulted in over heated cats and burnt valves

Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Considering an RSC tune on my DBS, but told the gain would be only around 20 HP?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:03 AM
Even less to gain on the V12 as there is no knock control (until the new Vanquish)
The best gains from the V12 & V8 come from properly designed headers and 200 cell cats, beyond that you need to look at internals (Heads & cams next )

Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 AM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Even less to gain on the V12 as there is no knock control (until the new Vanquish)
The best gains from the V12 & V8 come from properly designed headers and 200 cell cats, beyond that you need to look at internals (Heads & cams next )
Anyone designed headers for the V12?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
I understand what you're saying Mikey, however you can run timing advance on the V12 engines quite successfully provided that the owner/operator is advised of the need to run higher octane fuel, and that the presence of lower quality fuel will not automatically retard ignition timing as in the later V8's. The pre-310quish cars as you know are set up to run on 95 RON fuel. By using a hand-held programmer you can advance ignition timing by another 3 degrees or so, provided that the owner has access to 98 RON fuel. (over here stateside, those numbers roughly correspond to 90/91 PON and 93 PON as marked on the pumps.) If you were to find yourself unable to procure 98/93 Octane fuel, and were forced to put in a lesser grade, by storing the switchable unit in the car, you can quickly switch back to the OEM programming so as to avoid knock.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What can I expect from an ECU reprogram?