Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Car stalls when tank is mid to full ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 AM
lase is on a distinguished road
Car stalls when tank is mid to full ???

I have noticed when filling up the tank, the car almost immediately starts to fail. Make a u-turn, it shuts off; make any turn fast, the car shuts off...? However, when the tank goes below half, you can track the car and nothing will happen...! Does this mean that I have a problem with the fuel tank, fuel pump, etc.? I have read other people having the same problem but, no solution was stated.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
My best guess is the purge line in the tank has come loose. The problem you described are what happens when it goes bad. You need to access the fuel tank. Hope you have a drop top, cause hard top cars are a pain to do.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
So what kind of car and what year are we talking about here?? Also is it failing at the pump while filling...ie...is it running at the pump and stalls when you get beyond half full????

Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AMFixer
My best guess is the purge line in the tank has come loose. The problem you described are what happens when it goes bad. You need to access the fuel tank. Hope you have a drop top, cause hard top cars are a pain to do.
Second that, theres a small rubber hose in the tank that comes loose or actually at times just falls apart..small hose needs to be replaced which is for the purge..

Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
ewu64 is on a distinguished road
I have a hard top...! Does anybody knows how much that costs at the dealer. The two Aston dealers in my area charge whatever they want. I've been quoted for a 4 wheel alignment from $250 to $600...??

Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
That sucks.....if your dealer quotes you right I would guess anywhere from 10-15 hours for this. The part is only like $30 bucks, and the added cost for fluids. The repair manual on a coupe requires you to remove the fuel tank to access it. Which requires the tranmission to come out, and the rear subframe, hence so much labor.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Wow...

Old 03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
cshsia is on a distinguished road
That sucks.....if your dealer quotes you right I would guess anywhere from 10-15 hours for this. The part is only like $30 bucks, and the added cost for fluids. The repair manual on a coupe requires you to remove the fuel tank to access it. Which requires the tranmission to come out, and the rear subframe, hence so much labor.
Stuff like this seriously scares me.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
You know what..... I didn't even notice what kind of car it was. V8's are easy, it's db9's that require all that. This can be easily DIY. The fuel tank is easy to access on v8's

Last edited by AMFixer; 03-26-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
You know what..... I didn't even notice what kind of car it was. V8's are easy, it's db9's that require all that. This can be easily DIY. The fuel tank is easy to access on v8's
I sense a strange disturbance in the force as if all the 6Speed V8 owners collectively heaved an enormous sigh of relief while all the V12 coupe owners suddenly cried out in fear and horror.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Benjamin09 is on a distinguished road
Great. Something to give me nightmares now....

10-15 hours of labor.....

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Aston Curious
I sense a strange disturbance in the force as if all the 6Speed V8 owners collectively heaved an enormous sigh of relief while all the V12 coupe owners suddenly cried out in fear and horror.
haha, i thought the same thing! big SIGH

AMFixer said it was the DB9 that would be a pain but no the V8V .... wonder where the V12V sits?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by WG_moots
haha, i thought the same thing! big SIGH

AMFixer said it was the DB9 that would be a pain but no the V8V .... wonder where the V12V sits?
The V12V would be the same as a V8, but have not seen that issue with them yet.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
If the V8V is pretty easy to get to, can you see this purge hose without removing the tank? The reason I'm asking is my '08 V8V is about to go out of warrantee, and I'd like to get this hose checked--If it's easy?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM
The Db9 Coupe is the only car that the fuel tank is removed to access. All other have access ports to make it easier to get too.

I posted a walkthough, then I took it down. All I need is someone blowing themselfs up.

I would charge a hour to check, both coupe and volante's.

Last edited by AMFixer; 03-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car stalls when tank is mid to full ???